Laura Davis Smith
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Coral Gables, FL
Attorney Laura Davis Smith is the managing partner of the Davis Smith & Jean, LLC, law firm in Coral Gables, Florida. Board certified as a specialist in marital and family law by The Florida Bar and possessing more than 24 years of legal experience, Ms. Smith represents the rights and interests of clients throughout Miami-Dade and Monroe counties who are going through a divorce or have some other serious family law matters they need to address.
Ms. Smith is a Fellow of both the International Academy of Family Lawyers and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and proudly serves on the editorial board of the Journal of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Among her impressive legal credentials, Ms. Smith is also certified in basic interdisciplinary collaborative divorce, and she serves as a Florida Supreme Court certified family mediator. Throughout her history, she has gained a reputation as a compassionate attorney who aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes possible for her clients both inside and outside of the courtroom. She has extensive experience with matters involving domestic violence, paternity, fathers' rights, and same-sex marriages along with the typical divorce issues of child custody and support, alimony, and property division. She also prepares pre- and postnuptial agreements, and is often appointed as guardian ad litem in matters where children's issues are paramount.
A recognized leader in her field, Ms. Smith served as chair of The Florida Bar's Marital & Family Law Review Course, a comprehensive two-day seminar that offers education and training to more than 1,500 family law attorneys in the state. In addition, Ms. Smith has numerous publications to her credit, and she routinely conducts lectures and seminars across her region on a variety of marital and family law topics.
A 1990 cum laude graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Ms. Smith attended Northeastern University School of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 1995. She holds her license to practice in Massachusetts and Georgia, as well as Florida, and she is admitted to the bar of the United States Supreme Court. Ms. Smith has earned numerous awards and honors for her professionalism and service. Along with holding an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, she also received designation as Lawyer of the Year from The Best Lawyers in America, and she has many "Superb" client ratings on Avvo.
Active in her legal community, Ms. Smith is an active member of the family law section of the American Bar Association and the family law section of The Florida Bar, where she served as a member of the section's executive council and executive committee, chairing the Family Law Section from 2016 to 2017.
Committed to her local community as well, Ms. Smith is a past president of KidSide, Inc., which aims to assist children and families dealing with highly contentious family law conflicts, and she is active in the prawyer shawl ministry of her church. Her husband of 25 years, Mark Smith, and her two sons, Brady and Connor, are all the inspiration she needs to help other families through difficult situations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 90%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2022
About Laura Davis Smith
First Admitted: 1995, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://dsandjlaw.com/who-we-are/laura-davis-smith/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Past President Board of KidSide, Inc.
- Ms. Smith regularly handles pro bono cases in order to give something back to the community.
- Co - Edited Numerous Family Law Articles, The Florida Bar Journal, as well as for the Commentator, which is The Family Law Section's Quarterly Newsletter, 2004
- Ms. Smith presented to approximately 1,200 attendees at the 2011 Certification Review Seminar in Orlando, Florida on the topic of Child Support. The annual seminar, jointly offered by the AAML-Florida Chapter and The Florida Bar, is the most educational of the seminars provided to Florida Marital & Family attorneys., The Family Law Section And AAML 2011 Certification Review Course, 2011
- Moving With Children After Divorce, South Florida Legal Guide, 2008
- Interspousal Tort Liability, Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education, Seventh Edition, 2007
- Alimony & The Effects Of A "Supportive Relationship" As Set Forth in Chapter 64.14, Florida Statutes, South Florida Legal Guide, 2006
- The Art of the Airtight Antenuptial, South Florida Legal Guide, 2004
- Stock Options in Divorce: Assets or Income, South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- HIV, Judicial Logic and Medical Science: Toward a Presumption of Non infection in Child Custody and Visitation Cases, New England School of Law, Boston Massachusetts Law Review, Winter 1997
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst, B.A., With Honors, 1990
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Recognized as a Top Up and Comer by South Florida Legal Guide, 2004
- Selected for Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, Inaugural Edition, Martindale-Hubbell, and 2012, 2013, 2011
- Recognized as a Top Up and Comer by South Florida Legal Guide, 2003
- Recognized as a Top Lawyer by South Florida Legal Guide, 2010
- Best Lawyers 2017 Family Law Attorney of the Year, Miami, Florida. , 2017
- Recognized as a Top Up and Comer by South Florida Legal Guide, 2005
- Selected as a Top Lawyer by Florida Legal Elite, 2011
- Chair, Family Law Section of The Florida Bar, 2016
- Co-Chairperson, Publications Committee, Family Law Section, Florida Bar
- Florida, 1997
- Georgia Bar, 2007
- Member, Executive Council, Family Law Section, Florida Bar
- Active Member, Various Subcommittees, Family Law Section, Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1998
- Member, Family Law Section, Florida, 1997 - 2014
- Chairperson, Sponsorship of the Family Law Section, Florida Bar
- Massachusetts Bar, 1995
- Certified in Interdisciplinary Collaborative Divorce Training, 2016
- Board Certified by the Florida Bar in the area of Marital and Family Law, 2009
- Lawyer of the Year in the area of Family Law, for the Miami area (2017, as well), Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, 2019
- For dedicated service to the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2009 Chair's Award for Outstanding Service to the Section; 2010 Chair's Special Award of Merit, Florida Bar Family Law Section
- Awarded for outstanding dedication to the goals of the Family Law Section of The Florida Bar, Keeper of the Flame Award, The Florida Bar, Family Law Section, 2011
Last Updated: 5/15/2022