Douglas B. Brown
Top Rated Consumer Law Attorney in Daytona Beach, FL
Attorney Douglas B. Brown practices in the areas of consumer law, commercial litigation and class action lawsuits. He represents clients in Orlando, as well as Daytona Beach.
Mr. Brown was a partner is a leading Florida defense firm for over 30 years and his practice focused on the Florida Unfair & Deceptive Practices Act. He has over four decades of experience and is a highly experienced litigator. He has handled numerous complex class action cases during his career, working with law firms on a nationwide basis. Additionally, he has successfully represented clients in commercial litigation actions. He is highly knowledgeable with state and federal statutes including the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. Additionally, Mr. Brown has substantial experience with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and was instrumental in recent FCC policy change which excluded e-faxes from being included in the TCPA.
When he is not serving his clients, Mr. Brown stays active by serving on the Board of Directors of the Peninsula Condominium in Daytona Beach, FL and was on the Board of Directors for Central Florida Public Radio Station WMFE for 3 years.
Mr. Brown earned a bachelor’s degree in history from Emory University and received a master’s degree in American studies from Florida State University. He went on to graduate with high honors from Florida State University College of Law and receive a Master of laws degree in litigation from Emory University School of Law.
Martindale-Hubbell awarded Mr. Brown an AV Preeminent* peer review rating and Florida Trend magazine included him on its “Legal Elite” list for commercial litigation. He is qualified to appear before the Florida and Georgia state courts and the U.S. district courts for the northern, middle and southern districts of Florida.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 60%Consumer Law
- 20%Business Litigation
- 10%Class Action/Mass Torts: Defense
- 10%Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
Auto Dealer Fraud, Consumer Protection, Fraud, Identity Theft, Trade Secret, Non-Compete Agreements, Class Actions
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2011 - 2012, 2014 - 2015
About Douglas B. Brown
First Admitted: 1977, Florida
- Orkin Exterminating Co., Inc. v. Delguidice, 790 So. 2d 1158
- Rollins, Inc. v. Lighthouse Bay Holdings Ltd., 898 So.2d 86
- Rollins, Inc. v. Butland, 951 So. 2d 860
- GMAC v. Laesser, 718 So. 2d 276, 279
- Oreck v. Ferris
- Swerhun v. General Motors Corp.
- Lighthouse Bay, Ltd. v. Orkin
- GMAC v. Laesser
- Florida Power Corp. v. Granlund
- Cypress Lakes Apartments, Ltd. v. Rollins, Inc.
- Rollins, Inc. v. Lighthouse Bay Holdings, Ltd.
- Rollins, Inc. v. Butland
- Orkin Exterminating Co., Inc. v. Petsch
- Resolution Trust Corp. v. Broad & Cassel, P.A.
- Orkin Exterminating Co., Inc. v. Delguidice
- Suntree Technologies, Inc. v. Ecosense International, Inc.
- Speaker, "False Advertising Class Action Litigation Under State Little FTC Acts," Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI), 2013
- Speaker, "Defense of Class Actions for False Advertising Under State Little FTC Acts," Retail Industry Leaders Association Annual Conference, 2012
- Author, “Class Actions under the Federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991,” 2010 Fall Issue, FDCC Quarterly
- "Little FTC Act," for The Florida Bar, Speaker
- Non-compete agreements for Lorman, Speaker
- “Florida Legislature Broadens the Scope of the Little F.T.C. Act,” Florida Bar Journal, Author, 1993
- Health Care Antitrust, Federal Trade Commission, Special Commendation, 1986
- Speaker, "TCPA Litigation in Light of ACA International: Strategies and Practical Guide," The Knowledge Group Webinar, 2019
- Speaker, "Important Developments in 2013, and Looking Ahead to 2014," FDLI, 2013
- Speaker, "Advertising and Promotion for Pharmaceutical, Medical Device, Biological and Veterinary Medicine Industries", FDLI, 2014
- "Tips for Young Lawyers: The Corporate Representative Deposition," Trial Advocate Quarterly, FDLA, 2017
- Co-Author, "Significant FCC Ruling Distinguishes Online Fax Services Not in Violation of TCPA," 2019
- Author, "TCPA Fax Class Actions Could Be An Endangered Species," Law360, 2019
- Florida Trend Legal Elite for Commercial Litigation
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Emory University, B.A., History, 1973
- Emory University School of Law, LL.M., Litigation, 1986
- Florida State University, M.A., American Studies, 1974
- The Florida Bar, Consumer Section
- U.S. District Courts of Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- Florida, 1977
- Georgia, 1981
Last Updated: 6/13/2022