Kelsey K. Black
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FloridaBlack Law P.A.
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Transportation & Maritime, Civil Litigation
Licensed in Florida since: 2010
Education: Suffolk University Law School
Black Law P.A.1401 E Broward Blvd Ste 204
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301-2116 Phone: 954-320-6220 Email: Kelsey K. Black Visit website
My practices focuses primarily on business litigation and transportation. I assist clients with non-compete and non-solicitation litigation, breach of contract, dissolution of partnership and shareholder agreements and other business-related claims. In addition, I also represent maritime, aviation, trucking and railroad companies in civil litigation and administrative proceedings.
Ken Waterway and I formed Waterway Black P.A. with a shared vision - partnering with our clients in not just their most recent legal matter but with their overall business goals in mind. I recognize that running a business is difficult enough without having to deal with complicated legal issues. I enjoy working closely with large and small businesses around the State of Florida to help take care of their legal needs, so they can focus on their business.
When receiving a new matter, my first goal is to problem-solve to save my client's money. As a former athlete, I am competitive and hate to lose, but also understand that the practice of law is not always adversial. I thoroughly evaluate every claim with the goal of resolving issues in the most effective and economical fashion.
When not arguing, thinking, reading, or writing on behalf of my clients so they can focus on other aspects of their business, I spend my time scuba diving with my husband, playing at the beach with my family and dogs, or traveling somewhere new.
First Admitted: 2007, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.blacklawpa.com/kelsey-black/
- Volunteer and advocate for the Posse Foundation. a nonprofit that identifies, recruits, and trains student leaders from public high schools to form multicultural teams called Posses of 10-12 scholars to send to top universities across the nation. , 2007
- Admitted to Florida Bar., 2010
- Admitted to Massachusetts Bar, 2007
- In 2011, Kelsey Black received a Client Service Award by her previous employer, Sedgwick LLP. Sedgwick is an international law firm with law offices across the world and specializes in civil litigation. , Wallace Sedgwick Client Service Award, Sedgwick LLP, 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings are an objective indicator of a lawyer's high ethical standards and professional ability. Kelsey Black was rated the highest possible rating of AV in 2014. , AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Kelsey Black co-presented with Caterpillar in-house counsel Jaime Meyers on the Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals 20-year anniversary. The presentation looked back over influentional Daubert decisions throughout the past two decades, noting how Duabert changed the way litigators approach discovery, depositions and evidentiary hearings. , Speaker, Happy Birthday Daubert!, DRI Women In The Law, 2014
- While the plaintiff's bar haled McBride as a victory, the decision contains important pronouncements regarding causation, foreseeability, and juror common sense that should clarify FELA liability standards to the benefit of railroads. , Author, McBride v. CSX: Supreme Court Decision Blow to Railroads or Mixed Bag?, Sedgwick LLP, Railroad, 2011
- Discussion of Florida Supreme Court's May 2012 decision regarding proposed product liability jury instructions., Author, Florida Supreme Court Urges Importance of Properly Defining Design Defect in Product Liability Cases, Sedgwick LLP, 2012
- The Florida Third District Court of Appeals fired a warning shot to trial counsel regarding background checks to jurors. This article discusses the impact of this decision. , Author, Florida Appellate Court: "We Help [Only] Those Who Help Themselves" on Juror Concealment, Sedgwick LLP, 2012
- Super Lawyers: 2023
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2022