Peter T. Mavrick
Top rated business litigation attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FloridaMavrick Law Firm
Peter T. Mavrick is the founder of the Fort Lauderdale-based Mavrick Law Firm. He focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, representing clients throughout the state of Florida, and he has been admitted to practice in California since 1992 and in Florida since 1996. In addition, Mr. Mavrick is admitted to the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Florida, before the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, and before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 9th and 11th Circuits.
A significant portion of Mr. Mavrick’s practice involves business litigation, including claims asserting breach of contract, tortious interference with contractual and business relationships, fraud, trade secret misappropriation, trademark infringement, and under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act.
In addition, the Mavrick Law Firm has substantial experience with claims asserting breach of non-competition covenants arising in the contexts of sales of businesses or in employer-employee relationships.
Mavrick Law Firm has substantial experience in representing businesses and their owners in labor and employment litigation. Mr. Mavrick has defended companies and executives who have faced a variety of claims. Some of the types of cases that he has successfully handled have included wage and hour matters, pregnancy and other types of workplace discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, noncompete agreements and trade secrets. Outside of the labor and employment area, Mr. Mavrick’s experience has encompassed contract breaches, business torts, solicitation of workers, enforcement of judgments, interference with contractual relations, non disparagement, housing discrimination, landlord-tenant matters, unjust enrichment and fraud.
Mr. Mavrick’s clients have benefitted from his skills in the courtroom, during negotiation sessions, and before arbitration panels, and his successful track record has earned him a great deal of favorable recognition from his fellow members of the bar. Among his many honors and awards are an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 peer review rating through Avvo. Frequently asked to deliver presentations to fellow professionals on topics related to his practice areas, Mr. Mavrick is a member of several legal organizations, and he is a 1992 cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Employment litigation: defense, Business/corporate
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Employment discrimination, Wrongful termination, Retaliation, Employment law - employer
- 70% Business litigation
- 20% Employment litigation: defense
- 10% Business/corporate
First Admitted: 1992, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.mavricklaw.com/peter-t-mavrick.html
- Speaker (March 2000) “Florida Employment Law Causes of Action Under Statutory and Common Law,” American Bar Association Basic Employment Law Seminar, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Speaker (December 1997 and March 1998) “The Crime-Fraud Exception to the Attorney-Client Privilege,” presented to the Broward County Bar Association, Employment Law Section and to labor/employment attorneys.
- Teaching Fellow, Harvard College, 1990 – 1991
- Speaker (September 2000) “Negotiating Employment Severance and Settlement Agreements and Ethical Considerations,” to the National Employment Lawyers Association, State of Florida Chapter.
- Selected as April 2014 speaker for continuing legal education on topic that included defending against discrimination claims under Title VII, the Florida Civil Rights Act, and other laws.
- Selected as October 2014 speaker for continuing legal education on topics of non-competition covenants and wage/hour practices under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Speaker on March 2, 2016 regarding “The National Labor Relations Act: Obligations and Compliance” to Human Resources professionals and attorneys at the National Business Institute.
- Speaker on March 3, 2016 regarding “Retaliation and Discrimination Claims Under Worker’s Compensation Law, Family Medical Leave Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, and Whistle-blower’s Laws” to Human Resources professionals and attorneys at Sterling Education.
- Speaker on February 13, 2017 in West Palm Beach, Florida regarding “Responding to EEOC and State Agency Charges” to Human Resources professionals and attorneys at the National Business Institute.
- Speaker in May 2018 to Human Resources Professionals of Broward County regarding "Proactive Steps Employers Can Take To Deter Future Claims."
- Speaker in November 2018 to attorneys and human resource professionals on the topic "FLSA Essentials: Practically Applying The Most Recent Legal Perspectives" at the National Business Institute.
- Mr. Mavrick speaks at seminars and conferences on employment law issues, and has held several leadership positions in the Broward County Bar Association and The Florida Bar. These have included Florida Bar Grievance Committee Chair (2005 – 2006) and member (2003 – 2005) and Broward County Bar Association Chairman (2001 – 2002) and Co-Chairman (2000 – 2001) of the Employment Law Section and Chairman (1999 – 2000) and Vice-Chairman (1997 – 1999) of the Intellectual Property Law Section. Member of the Board of Directors (2003 – 2007) of the Federal Bar Association Broward County Chapter and the Board of Directors (2003 – 2007) of the North Coral Ridge Homeowners Association.
- Treasurer, North Broward Bar Association, 2012 – 2013 Term.
- Vice-President, North Broward Bar Association, 2013 – 2014 Term.
- California, 1992
- President, North Section of Broward County Bar Association, 2014- 2015 Term.
- Florida, 1996
- October 2017, awarded the Most Outstanding Employment Law Services - FL, USA by CorporateLiveWire.com
- University of Michigan, A.B., with high distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1989
- In August 2021, obtained in Broward Circuit Court a $482,000 jury verdict in a business litigation lawsuit. The lawsuit successfully recovered damages to business owners from their constructive eviction caused by a commercial landlord's deceptive and unfair trade practices., 2021
- In December 2019, Mr. Mavrick defeated a non-compete and trade secret infringement lawsuit in Broward Circuit Court against a business and its owner, who was formerly employed by the plaintiff business. The former employer conceded defeat, allowing Mr. Mavrick's client to recover his attorney's fees and costs from his former employer., 2019
- In January 2020, Mr. Mavrick successfully defended a Miami business and its owner in an overtime wage lawsuit in federal court in Miami, Florida. Mr. Mavrick vigorously defended the lawsuit. The employee conceded defeat and recovery of nothing from Mr. Mavrick's clients, and the federal court dismissed the lawsuit with prejudice., 2020
- In July 2022, Mr. Mavrick successfully defended a Florida corporation that was sued in Broward Circuit Court for sexual harassment by a former employee. Following taking the deposition of the plaintiff/former employee who accused the company of sexual harassment, Mr. Mavrick and his associate attorney filed a motion for summary judgment that the Judge granted., 2022
- In June 2022, Mr. Mavrick and his associate attorney successfully represented a corporate employer by obtaining a substantial financial recovery in a lawsuit against a trusted former employee. The employee had breached his trust arrangement with his employer by diverting corporate clients and revenues to a competing business., 2022
- In November 2021, Mr. Mavrick and his associate attorney successfully represented a former shareholder and high-level employee of a Miami company in an appeal involving the validity of a non-compete covenant and whether there were genuine trade secrets that would justify the existence of a non-compete covenant. After Mr. Mavrick filed his brief with Florida's Third District Court of Appeal, the opposing party agreed to settle by completely releasing Mr. Mavrick's client of the non-compete covenant and Mr. Mavrick's client agreed to give up his claim for recovery of legal fees from the opposing party., 2021
- In March 2021, successfully represented automotive dealership corporation that obtained final judgment of attorneys' fees. The judgment of attorneys fees followed a successful appeal wherein the appellate court dismissed the lawsuit against the automobile dealership and awarded recovery of attorneys' fees. Thereafter, Mr. Mavrick successfully represented his client in an evidentiary hearing seeking appellate attorneys fees., 2021
- In January 2021, successfully represented a South Florida corporation that was sued for age discrimination by obtaining dismissal of the lawsuit with prejudice without any payment to the plaintiff or his legal counsel. Plaintiff dismissed the lawsuit with prejudice to avoid sanctions., 2021
- Successfully defended a physician's practice against a claim of pregnancy discrimination. Obtained final dismissal of pregnancy discrimination case., 2016
- Won jury trial in federal court in West Palm Beach, Florida in case against corporation and its President for overtime wages. Won a complete defense verdict where the jury deliberated for less than 30 minutes., 2016
- Successfully defended child care facility against claim of pregnancy discrimination filed by former employee. Obtained dismissal of pregnancy discrimination claim., 2016
- Successfully defended landlord/owner of apartment building against claim of housing discrimination. Obtained dismissal of housing discrimination claim., 2016
Office location for Peter T. Mavrick
1620 W. Oakland Park Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023