Top Rated Immigration Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sasha Westerman-Keuning is one of the leading immigration lawyers in South Florida, having practiced immigration law exclusively for the past 9 years. In June 2017, she became the youngest of only 72 Board Certified Experts in Immigration & Nationality Law. Board Certified Attorneys are "Evaluated for Professionalism and Tested for Expertise" by the Florida Bar. In 2018, she was named one of Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” in Immigration Law (Florida), a prestigious designation reserved for less than 2.5% of Florida attorneys. In 2015, Mrs. Westerman-Keuning was named one of The National Advocates’ Top 40 Under 40 attorneys nationally in the field of immigration law.
Mrs. Westerman-Keuning obtained her undergraduate degree from Boston College where she graduated magna cum laude and her Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Miami School of Law where she also graduated cum laude. While at the University of Miami, she was a Dean’s Merit Scholar and received the Book Award in Civil Procedure and the CALI Future in Excellence Award in her Asylum & Removal Workshop.
Mrs. Westerman-Keuning is a founding partner at Rostova Westerman Law Group, a prominent immigration law firm with offices in Fort Lauderdale and Brickell. Prior to opening her own law firm, she worked as the Senior Immigration Associate at several of Miami’s top immigration law firms, including the Law Office of Julie C. Ferguson, P.A. She assisted Mrs. Ferguson in establishing the Immigration Law Department at Carlton Fields Jorden Burt, a prestigious corporate law firm in the State of Florida. During her tenure working for Mrs. Ferguson, Mrs. Westerman-Keuning filed dozens of I-526 and I-829 EB-5 petitions and supervised the work of the firm’s support staff in the filing of all types of investor and employment-based visa petitions as well representing individuals in family petitions, waiver applications and removal proceedings. Mrs. Westerman-Keuning also worked as an Associate Attorney at the law office of Kurzban, Kurzban, Weinger, Tetzeli, & Pratt P.A. under the direct supervision and tutelage of renowned immigration attorney and author, Ira J. Kurzban. She assisted in researching and indexing the Twelfth Edition of Kurzban’s Immigration Law Sourcebook, the most widely used text in the field of immigration law. Additionally, she served as the lead litigation associate in Mr. Kurzban’s firm where she worked on the important EB-5 class action litigation, Chang v. U.S., drafting the Fourth Amended Complaint in Chang and overseeing the management of all class members.
Mrs. Westerman-Keuning serves on several committees for the local chapter of American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and is presently the Chair of the LGBTQ Affairs Committee. She has also served on the AILA Pro Bono committee, Unauthorized Practice of Law committee, USCIS Miami Liaison Committee, Office of Chief Counsel Liaison Committee and the Detention and Removal Committee. She is an active member of AILA and has been featured on CNN and quoted in the Miami Herald due to her expertise in the field of immigration law. In 2014, Sasha received an award from AILA for her work on a team of pro bono lawyers who exemplified “commitment and passion in achieving justice for vulnerable and voiceless immigrants" due to their substantial involvement in important pro bono projects. She is licensed to practice law by the Supreme Court of Florida, the Southern District of Florida and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Her years of experience and mentorship at some of Miami's most prestigious immigration law firms have given her the skills and knowledge necessary to handle even the most complex immigration matters, providing innovative legal solutions to even the most intricate immigration cases. A community activist and a lawyer, Mrs. Westerman-Keuning is as much known for her commitment to social justice as she is for her top-quality legal work. She is fluent in the English and Spanish languages.
Certificates and Credentials
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
Immigration & Nationality
About Sasha Westerman-Keuning
First Admitted: 2009, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.sashavisalaw.com/about-our-team
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Boston College. Held one of the highest positions in the Boston College Student Government., 2006
- Graduated Cum Laude from the University of Miami School of Law. Held Dean's Merit Scholarship all 3 years. Awarded HOPE Public Interest Fellowship 1L year. Winner of Book Award for Civil Procedure I. Winner of CALI Future in Excellence Award for Removal and Asylum Workshop., 2009
Pro bono/Community Service
- One of the co-founders of the AILA Krome Mental Incompetency Project. This project received national recognition from the American Immigration Lawyers Association and the project's lawyers were honored for their "commitment and passion in achieving justice for vulnerable and voiceless immigrants." , 2011
- Each of our distinguished Top 40 under 40 members strives to encompass the knowledge, skill, experience and success held by only the best attorneys in America. It is our mission to promote a unique and professional networking opportunity for young attorneys, while developing progressive ideas to educate the public about the importance of access to courts that are free of bias and undue influence, and to protect the rights of justice for all. The criteria for membership include:At least 3 years of experience as a lawyerReputation among peers, the judiciary and the publicAchievements as specialty lawyersBoard certification in their areas of specialtyNominations from leading lawyers, current members and Executive Committee membersLeadership and membership in other national and state specialty lawyer organizationsRankings and ratings by leading national evaluation organizations and associationsNominees must be attorneys actively practicing law in one of the following areas of specialty: Matrimonial and Family Law; Bankruptcy Law; Social Security Disability Law; Immigration Law; Employment Law; and Wills, Trusts and Estates. Memberships are reviewed annually to assure that the membership of The National Advocates: Top 40 Under 40 is made up of only the premier attorneys from each state or region. All members are automatically reconsidered for membership but not automatically re-invited annually., Top 40 Under 40 , The ational Advocates, 2015
- Florida Bar - Board Certification in Immigration & Nationality Law (2017-2022) , 2017
- Member of following AILA Committees: LGBTQ Committee USCIS - West Palm Beach Liaison Committee, 2019
- Member of following American Immigration Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Committees: USCIS - West Palm Beach Liaision Committee LGBTQ Committee, 2018
- Member of the AILA South Florida - USCIS Miami Liaison Committee, 2017
- Chair of LGBTQ Liaison Committee for South Florida Chapter of American Immigration Lawyers Association, 2016
Last Updated: 5/15/2022