William R. Scherer, Jr.
Top rated business litigation attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FloridaConrad & Scherer, LLP
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Class action & mass torts, Professional liability; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1973
Education: Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
Conrad & Scherer, LLP633 S Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 Visit website
William R. Scherer co-founded the firm in 1974 with his late partner Rex Conrad. Over almost five decades, Mr. Scherer has grown Conrad & Scherer into one of Florida’s leading law firms. He has expanded the firm’s presence with offices in New York, New York, Brevard, North Carolina, and Quito, Ecuador.
AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® since 1987, Mr. Scherer is a seasoned trial attorney. He has litigated over 100 trials in jury and non-jury cases before state, appellate, and federal courts. Mr. Scherer’s cases and legal accomplishments have received coverage by major television networks such as CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, and FNN and national and local newspapers such as The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, South Florida Business Journal, the Daily Business Review, the Sun-Sentinel, and the Miami Herald.
Mr. Scherer was lead counsel for victims of the infamous multi-billion-dollar Ponzi scheme orchestrated by Scott Rothstein. Notably, Mr. Scherer led his complex litigation team and achieved a historic settlement returning to investors what is said to be the highest percentage of recovery for victims of a Ponzi scheme. News outlets described the settlement as a “huge victory” and a “landmark” lawsuit.
In 2005, Mr. Scherer served as the plaintiff’s counsel in a high-profile commercial lawsuit involving the sale of a health insurance company. He obtained, by jury verdict, one of the largest damage awards in Broward County history.
During the historic 2000 Presidential Election Litigation in Florida, Mr. Scherer led a team of attorneys representing President George W. Bush and personally represented the President in the Broward County recount.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Scherer has served as counsel to various government entities. From 1988 to 2005, Mr. Scherer served as General Counsel to the North Broward Hospital District, one of the nation's largest public healthcare providers, with four hospitals and nine specialized treatment centers. As General Counsel for the Hospital District, he supervised teams of legal experts in healthcare and malpractice law and was responsible for all trials and legal actions taken by or against the Hospital District.
Mr. Scherer began his legal career as a law clerk to the Indiana Supreme Court and the Honorable Charles Fulton, Former Chief of the United States District Court for the South District of Florida.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Professional liability: plaintiff, Land use/zoning
Class actions, Professional malpractice - other
- 40% Business litigation
- 30% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 20% Professional liability: plaintiff
- 10% Land use/zoning
First Admitted: 1973, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.conradscherer.com/attorneys/william-r-scherer-jr...
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, since 1987
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Plaintiffs for The Best Lawyers in America©, 2022, Best Lawyers
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer in Commercial Litigation for The Best Lawyers in America©, 2018-2022, Best Lawyers
- Listed in Super Lawyers® "Super Lawyer", 2006-2018, 2020-2022, https://www.superlawyers.com/
- Listed in South Florida Legal Guide, “Top Lawyer”, 2006-2021
- Recognized as an “Apogee Award Honoree” by South Florida Business & Wealth, 2020
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, “Florida Legal Elite”, 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2020
- Listed as one of the “FACES of Fort Lauderdale” in Complex Commercial Litigation by Fort Lauderdale Illustrated, 2019-2020
- Recognized as an "Ultimate CEO" by the South Florida Business Journal, 2013
- Recognized as "Most Effective Lawyer" by the Daily Business Review, 2005 and 2012
- Listed in VerdictSearch’s, “Top 100 Verdicts of 2005”, 2005
- Profiled as a “Political Power Broker” by Gold Coast Magazine, April 2002
- Profiled as a "Power Broker" by the Sun-Sentinel Newspaper, 2002
- Listed as one of “The 50 Most Powerful People in Broward County” by Gold Coast Magazine, May/June 2002
- School of Law at Indiana University, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1973
- Franklin College of Indiana, Bachelor of Science, 1969
- C5’s 3rd Forum “Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery,” Miami Beach, Florida, “Miami Vice—Unraveling the $1.2 Billion Rothstein Ponzi Scheme,” October, Speaker, “Miami Vice—Unraveling the $1.2 Billion Rothstein Ponzi Scheme,”, C5’s 3rd Forum “Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery,” Miami Beach, Florida, 2012
- American Board of Trial Advocates and the Fort Lauderdale Chapter of ABOTA “Masters In Opening Statements and Closing Arguments”, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, May , Speaker, “Masters In Opening Statements and Closing Arguments”, American Board of Trial Advocates and the Fort Lauderdale Chapter of ABOTA, 2011
- BankAtlantic Attorney Seminar, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, “Unraveling a Ponzi Scheme,” October, Speaker, “Unraveling a Ponzi Scheme”, BankAtlantic Attorney Seminar, 2010
- Boys and Girls Club of Broward County Men’s Luncheon, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, “The Ponzi in its Aftermath,” April, Featured Speaker, “The Ponzi in its Aftermath”, Boys and Girls Club of Broward County Men’s Luncheon, 2010
- Medicaid Reform – A Call to Action, South Florida Hospital News, March, Editorial, Medicaid Reform – A Call to Action, South Florida Hospital News, 2005
- Vital Reforms – Why Everyone Needs to Pay Attention to Proposed Medicaid Reforms, Smart Business – Broward/Palm Beach, March at 24, Editorial, Vital Reforms – Why Everyone Needs to Pay Attention to Proposed Medicaid Reforms, Smart Business, 2005
- Directors and Officers Face Liability – Check Your D&O Insurance Now, Smart Business – Broward/Palm Beach, April at 14, Editorial, Directors and Officers Face Liability – Check Your D&O Insurance Now, Smart Business, 2005
- Editorial, Recommended Reforms Must Pass in Session, South Fla. Sun Sentinel, June at 21A, Editorial, Recommended Reforms Must Pass in Session, South Fla. Sun Sentinel, 2003
- Conrad & Scherer, LLP, Legal Philosophy , 2018
- Conrad & Scherer, LLP, A Team Approach , 2018
- Conrad & Scherer, LLP, Commitment to the Community , 2018
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member/“Advocate", 1989 - present , 2020
- Broward Workshop, Board Member, 2002 - 2012, 2012
- Judicial Nominating Commission, 17th Circuit, Gubernatorial Appointee (Governor Martinez, Governor Bush, and Governor Scott) 1987 - 1999, 2001 - 2007, 2011 - 2012, 2012
- Broward County Ethics Commission, 2009 - 2010, 2010
- City of Fort Lauderdale Downtown Development Authority, Board Member, 1989 - 1996 and 2003 - 2010, 2010
- Franklin College Board of Trustees, 2000 - 2008, 2008
- Chair, Judicial Nominating Commission, 17th Circuit, 2006
- Judicial Nominating Commission, Fourth District Court of Appeal, Gubernatorial Appointee (Governor Bush), 1999 - 2003, 2003
- Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Interim General Counsel, Gubernatorial Appointee (Governor Bush), 2000
- Florida Lawyers for Bush, Broward and Palm Beach County Chair, 1998 - 2000, 2000
- Florida Lawyers for Bush, Statewide Co-Chair, 1998 - 2000, 2000
- Federal Bar, Grievance Panel for the Southern District of Florida, 1995 - 1997, 1997
- Florida Patient Compensation Fund, Board of Directors, 1992
- Federal Bar Association, Broward County Chapter, Past President, 1982 - 1983, 1983
- Commercial Fraud Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Land Use Litigation
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
- Professional Negligence & Malpractice
Office location for William R. Scherer, Jr.
633 S Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2018, 2020 - 2023
Articles about William R. Scherer, Jr. by Super LawyersSuit Targets Florida Utility in Water Main Outage
Additional sources of information about William R. Scherer, Jr.
Find me online
- For centuries, the scales of justice symbolized fairness and impartiality. They trace back to the Roman goddess Jus… https://t.co/bFqUHqk93j
- Did you know that March 20th is the International Day of Happiness? At our firm, we strive to bring happiness to ou… https://t.co/iBHFZF6OAi
- Happy St. Patrick's Day from our team to yours! May the luck of the Irish be with you today and always.… https://t.co/0ejhtgQJhg