Zascha B. Abbott
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FloridaLewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP
Practice Areas: Employment & labor; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 2002
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Partner, Lewis Brisbois, Zascha Blanco Abbott focuses her practice exclusively on labor and employment law. Based in Miami, Florida, she provides advice and counsel to employers throughout the state in both the private and public sectors on a variety of matters. Admitted to practice before all Florida state courts, Ms. Abbott is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.
An accomplished trial and appellate attorney, Ms. Abbott provides courtroom advocacy for clients who have been sued for alleged violations of federal and state employment statutes. The types of matters that she has had experience in have included claims arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Florida Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act. Ms. Abbott's background has also encompassed wrongful termination and other alleged acts of retaliation, contract breaches, noncompete agreements and sexual harassment. She also provides advice and counsel to her clients regarding the preparation of employee manuals and employment policies, and she has appeared before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on their behalf.
Highly regarded by her colleagues for her successful track record in all of these endeavors, Ms. Abbott has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell. A 1996 graduate of Florida International University, Ms. Abbott pursued her legal education at Nova Southeastern University's Shepard Broad College of Law, and she was awarded her Juris Doctor magna cum laude in 2001. She is a past chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section of The Florida Bar.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employer
Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Labor law
- 100% Employment & labor: employer
First Admitted: 2002, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://lewisbrisbois.com/attorneys/abbott-zascha
- The Florida Bar, 2002
- Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Committee, Dade County Bar Association, 2013-2016 and 2018-2023
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Past Chair, The Florida Bar Labor and Employment Law Section
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Past Chair, Employment and Labor Law Committee, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Past Co-Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section, Judicial Outreach Subcommittee, The Florida Bar
- "Rising Star", Florida Super Lawyers, 2011-2013
- The Florida Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section, Volunteer of the Year Award, The Florida Bar
- AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- "Florida Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine 2011, 2012, & 2013
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Outstanding Subcommittee Chair Award
- "An Overview of Nondiscrimination and Anti-Harassment Laws," The Florida Bar, June 2011
- "NLRB Changes Impacting Union and Nonunion Employers," For the Defense, June 2011
- "Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act: The Perspective of the Defendant," The Florida Bar, June 2009
- Recent Developments in Employment Law and Labor Law, American Bar Association, TIPS Law Journal 2018
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Florida International University, B.A.
- Financial Services
Office location for Zascha B. Abbott
110 S.E. 6th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2021
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2013