Sheldon E. Finman
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Fort Myers, FL
Attorney Sheldon E. Finman is the founder of the Fort Myers law firm of Sheldon E. Finman, PA. Since 1979, Mr. Finman has focused his practice on helping his clients from Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples and surrounding Lee and Collier counties overcome their family law challenges as amicably as possible while ensuring the protection of their best interests.
Mr. Finman began his legal career in 1971 after earning his law degree from University of Florida Levin College of Law and his admission to The Florida Bar. Over the course of his career, he has watched the divorce process change from a process based on litigation to a process based on negotiation, and many of the changes are the result of his hard work over the past 40-plus years.
In 1983, Mr. Finman began exploring alternative dispute resolution methods he could use to help his clients negotiate divorce-related agreements. That year, thanks to his efforts, he became the first Florida Supreme Court-certified mediator in Lee County, Florida. In 1985, The Florida Bar recognized him as a board-certified marital and family law attorney.
In 1990, he worked with retired Florida Judge Hugh E. Starnes to create a process for cooperative divorces. The process the two developed was a precursor to today's collaborative divorce, which is a method Mr. Finman has utilized in his practice since 2000.
Attorney Finman's dedication to the preservation of families affected by divorce has led to much recognition from the legal community. He has received an AV-Preeminent* peer-review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and he received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Family Law Professionals in recognition of his place in history as the "Father of Cooperative Law."
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2008 - 2012, 2015 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
Marital & Family Law
About Sheldon E. Finman
First Admitted: 1971, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.respectfuldivorces.com/Attorney-Profile/Sheldon-E...
- Florida Bar Board Certified Family Law Attorney
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Divorce Mediation, Divorce Training in Problem Solving Procedures and Best Practices, Ancillary Businesses
Pro bono/Community Service
- Lee County Q&A Panel, 2005 - Present
- Private Pro-Bono Client Work, 2000 - Present
- Advocacy in Collaborative Practice, Collaborative Professionals of Southwest Florida, April 5, 2012
- Being the Best You Can Be in Your Professional Role in Helping Families, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (FLAFCC Conference), March 30, 2012 - March 31, 2012
- Skills Training Presentation, Charlotte County Family Law Bar Association, March 28, 2012
- The Anatomy of the Cost of Divorce: A Frank Discussion of Fees (co-presented by Shelly Finman, Esq. and Steve Thompson, Esq.), February 23, 2012
- Legal Issues, Parent Coordination Training (FL, Co-presented with the Hon. (Ret) Hugh E. Starnes, Sr., Circuit Judge), The Association of Family Law Professionals, June 24, 2010
- Dangerous Times, Confessions, and Lessons Learned panel moderator, AFLP Annual Conference , June 11, 2010
- Problem-Solving Divorce Procedures and Best Practices, Barry Law School, 2008 - 2010
- Child Focused Negotiation of Parenting Plan: "Through the Eyes of the Child" (co-presented with the Hon. Hugh E. Starnes, Retired Circuit Court Judge, Deborah C. Silver, Psy.D., and JoAnne Holt, CPA), Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Florida Chapter, March 12, 2010
- Parenting Plans, annual conference of The Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), May 29, 2009
- A Cooperative Skills Workshop, The Florida Chapter of The Association of Florida and Conciliation Courts (FLAFCC), February 27, 2009
- The Parenting Tribunal Panel (co-presented with Dr. Deborah C. Silver, Psy.D), State Dispute Resolution Center Annual Conference, August 30, 2008
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, B.A., Major: English and Political Science, Florida Blue Key (Honorary), Omicron Delta Kappa (Honorary)
- University Hall of Fame, Who's Who in American Colleges & Universities, University of Florida
- AFLP Second Annual Hugh E. Starnes "Think Outside the Box" award, 2010
- 1st Annual Career Contribution Award, by The Gainesville Collaborative Divorce Team and the University of Florida Institute, July 15, 2011
- Lifetime Achievement Award as the Father of Cooperative Law, The Association of Family Law Professionals, July 24, 2010
- 2009 Professionalism Award by The Lee County Bar Association, December 19, 2009
- Bar Register of Pre-Eminent Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV
- First Mediator of any Type in Lee County, Florida
- Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity
- Florida, 1971
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1971
- Association of Family Law Professionals, Attorney, 1994 - Present
- Association of Families and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), Attorney/Mediator, 2000 - Present
- Florida Association of Families and Conciliation Courts, FLAFCC, 2000 - Present
- Academy of Family Mediators (AFM), Attorney/Mediator, 1984 - 2000
- Florida Bar Association, Family Law Section, Attorney, 1975 - Present
- Collaborative Professionals of Southwest Florida, Attorney/Mediator, 2009 - Present
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Florida, Attorney/Mediator, 2009 - Present
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP), Attorney/Mediator, 2004 - Present
Last Updated: 5/15/2022