Stephen D. Thompson
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Fort Myers, FL
Attorney Stephen D. Thompson is the founder and owner of Thompson Family Law, P.A., in Fort Myers, Florida. Board-certified in marital and family law by The Florida Bar and certified by the Florida Supreme Court as a family mediator, arbitrator and collaborative lawyer, Mr. Thompson devotes his practice solely to family law, and he provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout Lee County and the surrounding areas who are going through a divorce or have other serious legal issues affecting their families.
Over the course of his more than 40 years in practice, Mr. Thompson has assisted hundreds of clients with protecting their rights and best interests, as well as those of their children, and obtained the favorable outcomes they seek from their divorces as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. To this end, he prefers to use negotiation and mediation to help his clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements without the need for expensive, protracted and adversarial court battles.
A staunch advocate for the rights of children, Mr. Thompson has served as guardian ad litem with the Child Protection Team as well as Children's Alliance. He also assisted in the creation and implementation of the County Clerk’s Support and Visitation Enforcement Program, and he has received the president's Pro Bono Service Award from The Florida Bar for his selfless contributions to others less fortunate in his community.
As further evidence of his leadership abilities, Mr. Thompson served as co-author of "Florida Legal Forms - Domestic Relations," and he has published articles on mediation best practices in the Family Law Section's Commentator. He has several other publications to his credit, and he has conducted a number of lectures and continuing legal education seminars across his region on a variety of topics.
A 1973 cum laude graduate of the University of Miami, Mr. Thompson obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law, where he was a dean's list scholar and member of the Lawyers of the Americas student board. He remains active in his legal community through his involvement with various local, state and national legal organizations, and he support his local community as well as a member of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, the Entrepreneurial Leadership Council, and other civic and charitable organizations.
- 100%Family Law
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2008 - 2013, 2015 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization
Marital & Family Law
About Stephen D. Thompson
First Admitted: 1979, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.familylawfla.com/Attorneys/Stephen-D-Thompson.sh...
- Lee County Arbitration/Mediation Advisory Board, Charter Member, 1986 - 1988
- Association of Family Law Professionals, Member, 1996 - 1997
- Guardian Ad Litem Advisory Board for Twentieth Circuit, President, 1988; Secretary, 1987
- Child Protection Team, Attorney, 1992 - Present
- Florida, 1979
Pro bono/Community Service
- The Children's Alliance d/b/a/ Sexual Abuse Treatment Program, Member, 1987 - 1995
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Member, 1996 - Present
- Entrepreneurial Leadership Council, Member, Charter Class, 1993 - Present
- United Way, Member Allocation Committee, 1994 - 1997
- Kiwanis International, Member, 1987 - Present
- Children's Services Council, Member, 1990 - 1993
- Business Associate of the Year, Cape Coral Calusa Chapter of American Business Women's Association, 1993 - Present
- Kiwanian of the Year, Kiwanis International, 1987 - Present
- President's Pro Bono Service Award, The Florida Bar, 1986
- Dedicated Service Award, Volunteer Service, Twentieth Judicial Circuit Support Enforcement Hearing Officer Program, 1996 - Present
- Marital and Family Law, State Bar of Florida, 1986
- Certified Collaborative Lawyer
- Certified Arbitrator
- Family Mediator, Florida Supreme Court, 1991
- Florida Legal Forms - Domestic Relations, West Publishing Company
- Speaker, Domestic Law In Florida, National Business Institute, January 31, 1992
- Speaker, Hot Tips for Successful Mediations, The Family Law Commentator, The Florida Bar, 1996 - Present
- Trained Staff, Support and Visitation Enforcement Program, 1985 - 1987
- Assisted in Training Volunteers, Guardian Ad Litem Program in the Twentieth Judicial Circuit, 1986 - 1988
- "Hot Tips for Successful Mediations", The Family Law Commentator for The Florida Bar
- University of Miami, Miami, Florida, B.S., cum laude - 1973, Major: Chemistry and Pre-Medical Studies
Last Updated: 4/5/2022