Derrick R. Connell
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Melbourne, FL
Derrick R. Connell is an attorney at the law firm of Morgan & Morgan and manager of the firm's Melbourne, Florida, office. Mr. Connell devotes his practice to personal injury law, representing the injured and their families in Melbourne and the surrounding areas in cases involving car accidents, product liability, medical malpractice and other issues.
After earning a bachelor's degree in political science from Valdosta State University in Georgia, Mr. Connell earned a Master of Business Administration degree from Stetson University in Gulfport, Florida. He went on to earn his law degree from Stetson University College of Law.
While attending law school Mr. Connell earned a certificate of concentration in advocacy and a certificate in leadership development. He also served as an associate judge for the moot court board, as well as on the trial team. He has been admitted to practice law in the state of Florida since 2010.
Honors that Mr. Connell has received include being listed by The National Trial Lawyers to its list of the top 40 attorneys under the age of 40. The National Association of Distinguished Counsel named him to its list of the top 1 percent of lawyers. He has also won several other awards from various legal organizations for his trial advocacy and pro bono service, including the Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy award and the William F. Blews pro bono service award.
Mr. Connell is a member of organizations including the Brevard County Bar Association, the Stetson Lawyers Association and the Florida Justice Association. He also belongs to national organizations such as the American Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and The Order of Barristers honor society.
- 70%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 10%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
Animal Bites, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Defense, Dental Malpractice, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Motor Vehicle Defects, Medical Devices, Pharmaceutical
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2020
About Derrick R. Connell
First Admitted: 2010, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.forthepeople.com/attorneys/derrick-connell/
- Board Member, Broward County Bar Association Young Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association
- American Association for Justice
- Brevard County Bar Association
- Student Bar Association Member, Stetson University College of Law
- The Stetson Lawyers Association
- Recipient, Judge T. Mitchell Barlow Young Lawyer Professionalism Award, 2014
- National Civil Trial Competition, National Champion & Overall Best Advocate, 2009
- Recipient, Edward D. Foreman Most Distinguished Student Award
- Champion, E. Earle Zehmer Moot Court Competition, 2009
- Named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 under 40
- Recipient, Victor O. Wehle Trial Advocacy Award
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Top One Percent, 2015
- Recipient, Lawyer to Legacy Bronze Eagle Award, Florida Justice Association, 2011
- Recipient, William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award, Stetson University College of Law
- The National Order of Barristers
- AAJ Student Trial Advocacy Competition, National Champion, 2009
- Stetson University, Master of Business Administration, 2009
- Valdosta State University, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Honors Program, 2004
- Morgan & Morgan Secures $7.1 Million Verdict on Behalf of Man Injured at Orlando Home Depot: On May 25, 2017, Milton Wilson was pulling a cart into the Pro Desk area at the Home Depot store located on West Colonial Drive in Orlando, FL when the large sliding door at the entrance was closed on top of him, causing severe injuries including three herniated discs and post-traumatic arthritis in his hips. In the years following this crushing impact from the heavy steel door, Mr. Wilson required two back surgeries and had both hips replaced, and will need a fusion surgery in the future. Morgan & Morgan attorneys Alicia Smith, Rick Block, Derrick Connell, and S. Max Karrick achieved the $7.1 million verdict, which covers Mr. Wilson’s past and future medical bills and pain and suffering, after a 10-day-long trial that featured a three-day jury selection process., 2022
Last Updated: 6/3/2022