Jason S. Downs
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Melbourne, FloridaMurphy & Downs Law Offices, P.A.
Jason S. Downs is a criminal defense and personal injury attorney in Melbourne, Florida. Mr. Downs is a partner at Murphy & Downs Law Offices P.A., and serves clients in Melbourne, Titusville, Palm Bay and throughout Brevard and Duval counties. He handles criminal matters involving DUI/DWI, sex crimes and other misdemeanors and felonies.
Prior to becoming a practicing attorney, Mr. Downs worked in related legal fields for many years in a diverse range of roles. He is a former independent legal analyst, criminal defense paralegal and also authored legal briefs. In his role as a legal analyst, he worked with several Florida criminal defense attorneys and firms to develop successful litigation strategies.
Mr. Downs graduated summa cum laude from Hodges University with a bachelor’s degree in legal studies. He earned his law degree from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School’s Tampa Bay, Florida, campus. As a law student he participated in the moot court program and a directed legal study in criminal defense. He graduated from law school cum laude with multiple academic awards.
Following law school, Mr. Downs received his license to practice law before all Florida state courts. He is also qualified to appear before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Florida Supreme Court. He is the author of many motions, briefs and articles for publications including the Florida Defender.
Highly active in the legal community, Mr. Downs belongs to several professional organizations. He is a member of the Brevard County Bar Association, The Florida Bar, the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the National College for DUI Defense and the Vassar B. Carlton American Inn of Court.
Practice areasCriminal Defense
Criminal Law, Felony, Misdemeanor, Sex Offenses
- 100% Criminal Defense
First Admitted: 2019, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://murphydowns.com/attorneys/jason-downs/
- Recognized as Top 100 by The National Trial Lawyers®, Client’s Choice by Avvo®, and Top Contributor by Avvo®
- Article on the Exclusion of DNA Evidence at Trial was recently published by The Florida Defender law journal in their Winter, 2019 Edition, Pages 22-26
- 2020 Edition of The Florida Defender law journal for an article regarding the restriction of police authority in neighboring jurisdictions
- 2020 Edition of The Florida Defender law journal for an article regarding lab testing in cannabis-related DUIs
- Florida Supreme Court
- Brevard County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Brevard County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association Appellate Law Section
- Florida Bar Association Criminal Defense Section
- Florida Bar Association Trial Lawyers Section
- Florida Bar Association Young Lawyers Division
- Florida Bar Association
- National College For DUI Defense, Brevard Chapter
- National College For DUI Defense
- Florida Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Brevard Chapter
- Florida Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Vassar B. Carlton American Inn Of Court
- American Inns Of Court
- Federal Circuit Court Of Appeals For The Federal Circuit
- Federal District Court For The Middle District Of Florida
- Florida State Courts
- Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies, summa cum laude, Hodges University
- Associates of Applied Science in Paralegal Studies, summa cum laude, Hodges University
Office location for Jason S. Downs
3682 N Wickham Rd
Melbourne, FL 32935
- Rising Stars: 2022 - 2023