Stephen P. Heuston
Top rated estate & trust litigation attorney in Melbourne, FloridaHeuston Legal PLLC
Practice Areas: Estate & trust litigation, Estate planning & probate; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1993
Education: The George Washington University Law School
Heuston Legal PLLC1333 Gateway Drive
Melbourne, FL 32901 Visit website
Stephen P. Heuston is the founder of Heuston Legal, where he focuses his practice on estate planning and administration as well as trust and probate litigation. Based in Melbourne, Florida, he represents individual and institutional clients throughout the state. Certified as a specialist in wills, trusts and estates law by The Florida Bar, Mr. Heuston is admitted to practice before all Florida state courts as well as in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
A significant portion of Mr. Heuston's practice involves nonprofit organizations. In this regard, he has defended provisions in wills and trusts that provide for charitable bequests, and he preserves the charitable intent of the trust grantor through the use of the Cy Pres doctrine. He has also provided advice and counsel to charities on their planned giving activities when they have been named as a beneficiary in a will or a trust.
In his estate planning and administration practice, Mr. Heuston has prepared and reviewed wills, trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney and advance medical directives, and he has represented heirs in probate proceedings. He has also represented both fiduciaries and beneficiaries in trust litigation. Mr. Heuston's successful track record in all these endeavors has earned him the respect of his fellow professionals, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Majoring in economics, Mr. Heuston attended the University of Washington in Seattle, and he received his bachelor's degree in 1982. He then moved to the District of Columbia and served several staff positions in the Senate and House of Representatives. Deciding he wanted to pursue a legal education, Mr. Heuston enrolled at The George Washington University Law School, and he served on The George Washington Law Review before being awarded his Juris Doctor in 1989.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEstate & trust litigation, Estate planning & probate
Will contests, Estate planning, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Wills
- 50% Estate & trust litigation
- 50% Estate planning & probate
First Admitted: 1989
Professional Webpage: https://www.heustonlegal.com/Attorneys/Stephen-P-Heuston
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Doctors Without Borders
- World Wildlife Fund for Nature
- Disabled American Veterans
- The Salvation Army, a Georgia Corporation
- The Humane Society of the United States, Inc.
- Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches
- Independent Trust Company of America, Inc.
- LifePath Hospice/Chapters Health Care
- Father Flanagan's Boy's Home
- Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence, AV Preeminent rating since January 2013., AV Preeminent Rated Attorney, Martindale-Hubbell
- I served on the Advisory Board for the Melbourne Corps of The Salvation Army. I served on the Administrative Council for Suntree United Methodist Church.
- Law Journal: George Washington Journal of International Law and Economics, Member, 1987 - 1989
- Presumptive Legal Fees Entitlement Or “Weather Permitting”? By Stephen P. Heuston, Esq., Heuston Legal PLLC, Melbourne, Florida, andLinda Suzzanne Griffin, Esq., Linda Suzzanne Griffin, P.A., Clearwater, Florida, Co-Author, Presumptive Legal Fees Entitlement Or “Weather Permitting”?, ActionLine, 2019
- Salvation Army, Melbourne Corps, Member, Advisory Board
- Maryland, 1989, 1989
- Member, Brevard County Estate Planning Council
- Florida, 1993, 1993
- Member, The Florida Bar, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- District of Columbia, 1990, 1990
- George Washington University National Law Center, J.D., 1989, Washington, District of Columbia, 1989
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1982, B.A. Major: Business Administration, 1982
- Board Certified in Wills, Trusts and Estates by the Florida Bar since August 1, 1997. Continuously board certified every five years by the Florida Bar certification process., 1997
- Charitable Organizations
- Personal Representatives
- Trust Companies
Office location for Stephen P. Heuston
1333 Gateway Drive
Melbourne, FL 32901
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2010, 2012 - 2023
Certificates and credentials
Wills, Trust and Estates