Barry M. Wax
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Miami, FL
The founder of his eponymous law firm, Barry M. Wax has been practicing criminal defense law since 1985, and has appeared in State and Federal Courts throughout the country. Mr. Wax provides effective and aggressive advocacy for people who have been charged by the state or federal government with having committed felony or misdemeanor offenses. As a dedicated criminal defense lawyer, he has defended a wide range of cases, with particular emphasis in complex criminal cases including economic crimes such as health care fraud, money laundering and identity theft, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act allegations, drug trafficking and a myriad of financial crimes.
In addition to criminal defense, Mr. Wax devotes a portion of his practice to professional licensing, including the defense of Florida Bar complaints and litigation before various professional licensing agencies under the umbrella of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. He is a past President of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Miami Chapter, and was recently elected to a 5th term as a Director at Large for the statewide Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Mr. Wax was also the chairperson for FACDL’s annual Death is Different Seminar, which provides training for death penalty defense attorneys, as mandated by the Florida Supreme Court.
Mr. Wax is based in Miami, Florida. As an undergraduate he majored in mass communications and film production at Florida State University and received a Bachelor of Science in 1981. He then pursued his legal studies at the University of Miami School of Law, and was named the winner of its 1984 Intramural Mock Trial Competition before obtaining his Juris Doctor the following year. Mr. Wax was admitted to practice in Florida in 1985. Following law school he was an assistant public defender in Miami-Dade County, Florida and entered private practice in 1987. Mr. Wax is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.
Mr. Wax has obtained positive results for his clients, including charge dismissals, jury acquittals, reversals on appeal and when appropriate, he will negotiate favorable plea agreements with the prosecution. His successful track record has led to his receipt of an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a 10.0 “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Criminal Defense
- 50%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Expungement, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Probation, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2022
About Barry M. Wax
First Admitted: 1985, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://barrywax.com/our-people/
- Awarded AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell (highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards, as voted on by peers), 2007 – Present
- University of Miami School of Law Intramural Mock Trial Champion, 1984
- Graduate, National Criminal Defense College, 1987
- Past-Chair, Death Penalty Committee, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Past-Chairperson, FACDL Death is Different Seminar, which provides training for death penalty defense attorneys, as mandated by the Florida Supreme Court
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Statewide, Director at Large
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Miami Chapter, Past President, 2007-2008
- National Association of Criminal Lawyers
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1987
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1987
- Florida, 1985
- Florida State University, B.S., 1981
- Florida Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Last Updated: 8/1/2022