Top rated white collar crimes attorney in Miami, FloridaBeaton Law Firm
Practice Areas: White collar crimes, Criminal defense, DUI-DWI; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 2002
Education: University of Florida Levin College of Law
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Marcos Beaton is the founding member of Beaton Law Firm in Miami, Florida. Mr. Beaton practices primarily in the criminal defense field, with an emphasis on white collar and complex criminal cases. He is also available to assist client in certain civil matters, such as those involving university and school discipline, civil rights violations, victim/witness representation, and business disputes. He is based out of Miami, and serves clients in the Miami area, but has represented clients on nationwide basis.
Mr. Beaton has more than 15 years of legal experience. Over the course of his career, he has handled many complex criminal matters in state and federal courts. His experience includes some of the nation's biggest and complex white collar cases, and has handled everything from first-degree murder to misdemeanors and domestic violence injunction. Mr. Beaton also has experience with regulatory investigations and university disciplinary actions.
He is known for his meticulous advocacy both in and out of the courtroom. Recognizing his accomplishments in the legal profession, “The Best Lawyers in America” included Mr. Beaton in its well-known publication. Additionally, he has been included on the Wall Street Journal’s “Best Lawyers in South Florida” list and the “Top 40 Lawyers Under 40” list from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Using his acquired criminal defense experience to educate others, Mr. Beaton serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law and teaches at the National Criminal Defense College. He is an active member of his legal community and has served as president of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Miami Chapter.
After earning a bachelor’s degree, Mr. Beaton graduated from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. He holds a license to practice law before all Florida state courts.
Practice areasCriminal defense: white collar, Criminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
White collar crime, Criminal law - federal, Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, DUI/DWI
- 70% Criminal defense: white collar
- 20% Criminal defense
- 10% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
First Admitted: 2002, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://beatonlawfirm.com/about-marcos-beaton%2C-jr
- President of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - Miami Chapter
- Adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law since 2011
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- "Top 10 Attorneys in Florida" by Super Lawyers magazine in 2021
- "Best Lawyers in South Florida" as published in the Wall Street Journal
- "Best Lawyers in America" by Best Lawyers Magazine
- Mr. Beaton represented a successful businessman in Miami's entertainment industry of carrying a concealed firearm (at the airport). After an extensive legal and factual work up, the State dismissed all charges against the client. , 2021
- After three weeks of trial, Mr. Beaton obtained an acquittal for a young man charged with premeditated first-degree murder and aggravated assault with a firearm in Broward County. Prosecutors argued that the client chased and shot a young man in the parking lot of a club after several altercations earlier in the evening between different groups of people, including one where prosecutors argued that the client had pointed a gun at another young man. The three week trial featured 46 witnesses, including witnesses who were at the scene during the shooting, numerous police officers, as well as expert witnesses in firearms, DNA and forensic pathology. Mr. Beaton demonstrated that the client acted in self-defense. After less than a full day of deliberations, the jury acquitted the client of all charges. For news coverage of the case,, 2016
- Represented a popular South Florida physician, who ran a large medical practice and was accused of fraud, money laundering and prescription drug allegations, including one count of prescribing pain medication leading to a death. The client was facing a life sentence on the death allegation alone. After a three trial, jurors decided the client was guilty of just one charge — conspiring to illegally dispense addictive pain pills at his busy medical practice. At sentencing, the District Court declined to follow the government's recommendation on sentencing and forfeiture, instead sentencing the client to nearly 1/3 of the government's recommendation and ordering the forfeiture of about 1/100th of that which the government sought. , 2018
- Successfully represented a prominent South Florida gastroenterologist charged with fraudulently underpaying more than five million dollars in federal income taxes over a five-year period by negotiating a global plea agreement binding on the U.S. government and the IRS that resulted in the dismissal of all but one of the charges. The agreement explicitly included the understanding that the client’s underlying conduct in no way involved or implicated the practice of medicine and was therefore critical in preserving the client’s medical license and his ability to continue practicing medicine. After a lengthy submission and presentation, the District Court imposed a sentence well below the sentence recommended by the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and actively sought by the government., 2015
Office location for Marcos Beaton
12925 SW 132nd St
Miami, FL 33186
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2017