Wayne M. Pathman
Top Rated Land Use & Zoning Attorney in Miami, FL
Wayne M. Pathman is managing partner of Miami-based Pathman Lewis – Attorneys at Law based in Miami, Florida. Mr. Pathman has more than 30 years of experience in land use, zoning, and environmental law, water law, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Pathman is extensively involved in the community. He is the "Immediate Past Chair" of the City of Miami’s Climate Resilience Committee. He has led the Committee as its chair since the committee was formed in 2015, when it was called the Sea Level Rise Committee.
A Miami Beach native and lifelong resident of the city, Mr. Pathman is the “Immediate Past Chair” of the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Pathman represents businesses, developers and individuals before administrative and regulatory bodies at the municipal, state, and federal levels in land use, zoning, and environmental matters. He is a leading authority and lecturer on issues regarding water law.
The recipient of numerous awards and honors over the years, Mr. Pathman is AV Preeminent* peer review rated from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest available rating. Mr. Pathman is listed in the 2021 publication “The Best Lawyers in America,” and the 2021 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide. The South Florida Business Journal has honored him during his career. Mr. Pathman is recognized as one of Florida Trend magazine’s 500 most influential executives in different economic sectors throughout the state. Other organizations recognizing his accomplishments include the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, the Urban Land Institute, and the Wall Street Journal.
Mr. Pathman is frequently quoted by the national and South Florida news media, such as the Miami Herald, El Nuevo Herald, Miami Today, South Florida Business Journal, WLRN, New York Times, Newsweek, Time, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, and MSNBC.
Mr. Pathman earned a bachelor’s degree in political science and international law from the University of South Florida, graduating cum laude. He received his law degree from Florida State University College of Law. He obtained his license to practice law in 1986.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ falls into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Wayne M. Pathman
First Admitted: 1986, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://pathmanlewis.com/attorneys/wayne-m-pathman/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania – Sea Level Rise panel participant at Penn Institute for Urban Research, 2016
- The Victory Center for Autistic Children, Former Board Member
- Chair, City of Miami, Sea Level Rise Committee
- Former Executive Committee member, Museum of Science Capital Campaign Committee
- Member of the Southeast Florida Regional Climate Change Compact
- Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Founders Club
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Beacon Council
- American Institute of Architects (AIA), consultant on Rising Sea Levels and partipant of "Climate Issues and the Future"
- Miami Children's Museum, Board and Executive Committee Member
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- University of Miami, Congressional Field Hearing by Congressmen Joe Garcia (Florida) and Frank Pallone (New Jersey) regarding climate change
- Capital Campaign Committee, Miami Beach Jewish Community Center
- Friends of UM/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce - Member, Board of Governors and Executive Board of Governors, Chairman of Subcommittee on the Impact of Rising Sea Levels on Miami Beach and surrounding areas, Chairman of the Advocacy Committee, Chairman of the Climate Symposium on Sea Level Rise, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Hennes & Mauritz (H & M), Swedish retailer, Obtained all land use & zoning approvals...
- Fifth and Alton Development, Miami Beach - Handled all land use and development negotiations...
- Development of Town Center Miami Beach
- Aqua Project on Allison Island - Obtained all land use and zoning approvals...
- Redevelopment of Diplomat Country Club...
- Bayside Marketplace - Obtained all land use and zoning approvals for renovation
- CBS Outdoor/Outfront Media - successfully handled RFP for countywide bus, rail and shelter contracts
- Palau Project - luxury condo project on Miami Beach
- Opa-Locka Executive Airport, handled land use and zoning for commercial development of airport
- Crown (Miami Beach/now The Thompson Hotel) - handled zoning for conversion of historic hotel to apartments
- Represented leading real estate company in handling zoning analyses and acquisition for the acquisition of nearly 2,000 apartments located in six separate Florida counties
- 20th Century Fox, lead counsel representing the movie "True Lies" for securing permits and licenses throughout Florida
- Represents numerous automobile dealerships in acquisitions and zoning for the creation of automobile dealerships
- The Florida Bar, Litigation and Environmental Law Sections
- Chair-elect, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, Member, Board of Governors and Executive Board of Governors, 2016 co-creator, moderator of the series of four sea level rise events, “A Time to Start Thinking Differently: The Economic Impact of Sea Level Rise on South Florida,” Chairman of Subcommittee on the Impact of Sea Level Rise on Miami Beach and surrounding areas, Chairman of the Advocacy Committee, Chairman of the Climate Symposium on Sea Level Rise, 2016
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- Topic: "Why is Florida Ground Zero?" This topic relates with the sea level rise issue., 'Why is Florida Ground Zero?'
- Mr. Pathman was speaker at a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) event on Sea Level Rise., Speaker, Sea Level Rise, Certified Commercial Investment, Real Estate, 2017
- Land Use Institute's event: ‘Planning, Regulation, Litigation, Eminent Domain, and Compensation’: Speaker on Sea Level Rise., Speaker, ‘Planning, Regulation, Litigation, Eminent Domain, and Compensation’, Land Use Institute, Real Estate, 2017
- Mr. Pathman took part as a panelist., Panelist, 'This Time the Warning's Real', Real Estate, 2014
- June 2015 - AIA Conference - Sea Level Rise and Insurance and Bank
- University of South Florida, B.S., Political Science and International Law, Cum Laude, 1981
- Special Assistant to the Honorable Robert Graham, Governor, Clerked for Chief Judge Larry Smith of the First District Court of Appeals, Florida State University College of Law
- Vice President, Tau Epsilon Phi
- Member, Phi Kappa Pi, University's highest academic honor society
- President, College of Social and Behaviorial Sciences
- A team from Miami-based law firm Pathman Lewis, LLP represented a large Miami-based owner of apartment properties in the closing of two Fannie Mae loans for the refinancing of 22 apartment complexes totaling 1,146 units in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, for a combined loan amount of $77.81 million. The borrowers are Tzadik Sioux Falls Portfolio I, LLC, and Tzadik Sioux Falls I, LLC., 2020
- Pathman Lewis, LLP closed a $36.52 million transaction for its Miami-based client, Tzadik Management. Financing for the six off-market multi-family apartment properties in three Georgia counties was arranged by Originations of Arbor Realty Trust, Inc. The acquisition totals 1,010 units., 2018
- The Pathman Lewis, LLP team, led by Wayne Pathman, Hal Lewis and Richard Schermer, performed the closing of a $81,363,000, 6-county, 14-apartment complex transaction, including $69.3 million dollar CMBS and mezzanine financing package for purchase money financing provided by JPMorgan Chase Bank, National Association. Wayne Pathman, Hal Lewis and Richard Schermer, assisted by partner Louis Archambault and associate Salome Bascunan represented the buyer, Tzadik Acquisitions, LLC, and its principal Adam M. Hendry, in acquiring and financing 14 apartment complexes comprising 2,199 residential units in Duval, Hillsborough, Lake, Orange, Polk and Sarasota Counties in Florida. The properties will be managed by Mr. Hendry’s company, Tzadik Properties, LLC. Mr. Hendry, with the assistance of his team, David Runyon, Matt McCallister and Alex Arguelles, engineered the acquisition from multiple seller entities under affiliated ownership controlled by Avesta Real Estate Holdings, LLC, a Florida limited liability company. The transaction closed on October 15, 2014., 2014
- Mr. Pathman was recently selected by his peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America 2021 edition., Top Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- Mr. Pathman was selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of the South Florida Legal Guide., Top Lawyers, South Florida Legal Guide, 2021
- Mr. Pathman was selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of the Best Lawyers in America., Top Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- Florida Trend magazine honored Mr. Pathman in 2019 as one of the “500 Most Influential Executives in Florida.”, '500 Most Influential Executives in Florida', Florida Trend Magazine, 2020
- Mr. Pathman has been selected as a Top Lawyer 2005-2019., Top Lawyers, South Florida Legal Guide, 2019
- Mr. Pathman was selected for inclusion in the 2018 edition of Florida Super Lawyers., Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Mr. Pathman is recognized as one of Florida Trend magazine’s 500 most influential executives in different economic sectors throughout the state. , '500 Most Influential Executives in Florida', Florida Trend Magazine, 2019
- Mr. Pathman was selected for inclusion in the 2017 edition of Florida Super Lawyers., Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2017
- Florida Trend, “Must-Know Contacts,” 2016, 'Must Know' , Florida Trend Magazine, 2016
- Mr. Pathman Lewis was included in the 2016 edition of Florida Super Lawyers., Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2016
- Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, “Forward Thinking Award,” for raising awareness of rising sea levels., 'Forward Thinking Award', Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, 2016
- Mr. Pathman was included in the 2015 edition of Florida Super Lawyers., Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2015
- Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, James McDonnell Outstanding Board of Governor Award, Miami Beach Chamber's 'Outstanding Board of Governor', Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, 2015
- Urban Land Institute honored Mr. Pathman for his project, Hennes & Mauritz (H&M), Swedish Retailer at Historic Lincoln Theater Property., 'Project of the Year', Urban Land Institute, 2014
- Mr. Pathman was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2019 edition of the Best Lawyers in America., 'Top Lawyers', Best Lawyers in America, 2013
- The Wall Street Journal selected Mr. Pathman as a Top Attorney., Florida's Top Attorneys, Wall Street Journal, 2013
- Mr. Pathman was selected as a finalist for the South Florida Business Journal's, Key Partner Award, 'Key Partner Award Finalist', South Florida Business Journal , 2012
- Mr. Pathman was selected for the Urban Land Institute's, Project of the Year Award: Fifth and Alton Development, Miami Beach, 'Project of the Year Award', Urban Land Institute, 2010
- Mr. Pathman was selected for inclusion of Florida Super Lawyers in 2007., Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2007
- The South Florida Business Journal selected Mr. Pathman as a "Heavy Hitter" in real estate., 'Heavy Hitters - Real Estate', South Florida Business Journal, 2007
- and developers and individuals regarding marine docks and dockage issues
- and historic properties
- and represents businesses and individuals with complex commercial litigation matters regarding contr
- Developers of apartment buildings
- residential and commercial developers seeking land use and zoning approval
- Shopping Centers
Last Updated: 5/17/2022