David Haas, a federal and state defense attorney founded Haas Law, PLLC where he represents clients in federal courts around the country and Florida. He is a former state and federal prosecutor who has extensive jury trial experience, including handling more than 65 jury trials.
A fifth-generation Floridian, he graduated from Stetson University College of Law in 2001 and began his career as a state prosecutor with the State Attorney’s Office in the Tenth Judicial Circuit. After three years of handling felony and misdemeanor offenses, attorney David Haas was promoted to Chief of the Economic/Environmental Crimes Division where he was responsible for the investigation, intake, and prosecution of complex financial crimes including racketeering and public corruption cases.
In February 2006, David Haas joined the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Florida. He served as a federal prosecutor for nearly 10 years where he was honored for his litigation and investigative skills. During his tenure as an Assistant United States Attorney, he handled complex white-collar matters including bank fraud, mortgage fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, FOREX trading, healthcare fraud, and Ponzi/investment schemes.
In addition to handling white-collar matters, David Haas was an Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF) prosecutor that handled large-scale drug distribution/manufacturing organizations, wiretap investigations, violent crimes, human trafficking, firearm offenses, gang cases, and asset forfeiture matters. David Haas also gained significant experience in handling cybercrime and cryptocurrency (Bitcoin) prosecutions, including the prosecution of individuals who trafficked in controlled substances on the internet and on TOR (The Onion Router) accessed markets.
While a federal prosecutor, David Haas received awards and commendations for his work with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, and the U.S. Department of Education Office of Inspector General. He also worked closely with agents from the Federal Reserve Board Office of Inspector General, the United States Secret Service, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
A skilled litigator, David Haas is also an Adjunct Professor at Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law where he teaches Trial Advocacy.
As a state and federal defense attorney David Haas brings more than 14 years of prosecution experience to helping his clients defend against criminal allegations. He also understands the Federal Sentencing Guidelines and the mitigating factors that are critical in determining a defendant’s sentence. He also understands the damage that can be done to a person or a company resulting from an indictment, even if the client is subsequently acquitted.
Attorney David Haas has represented clients in state and federal court who have been charged with Medicaid fraud, mortgage fraud, timeshare fraud, drug trafficking, and violent crimes.
He also is an attorney for whistleblowers seeking reward for information of significant criminal wrongdoing under the False Claims Act. David Haas is also an NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor or ‘NFL Agent’.
First Admitted: 2001, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://haaslawpllc.com
- Presented to Assistant State Attorney David Haas - For Oustanding Contributions to the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Certificate of Appreciation, U.S. Postal Inspection Service, 2006
- Presented to Assistant U.S. Attorney David Haas - Recognition of Leadership and Prosecutive Accomplishments, U.S. Department of Education - Office of Inspector General, 2014
- Presented to Assistant U.S. Attorney David Haas - For Outstanding Commitment and Contributions to the FBI and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office Bomb Squad, Certificate of Appreciation, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 2010
- Recognition to Assistant U.S. Attorney David Haas - Appreciation for Contributions to Federal Law Enforcement, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation, 2015
- Presented to Assistant United States Attorney David Haas - For Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Drug Law Enforcement, Certificate of Appreciation, Drug Enforcement Administration, 2011
- Recognition of 10 Years of Service to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida, U.S. Attorney's Office - Middle District of Florida, 2015
- Presented an Eagle for 10 years of service to the Department of Justice, Appreciation, U.S. Attorney's Office, 2015
- Mr. Haas represents individuals and companies in criminal cases and investigations. , 2015
- Speaker to dozens of IRS investigators and contractors about strategies and techniques in defending federal financial crimes., Speaker, Defending Federal Financial Crimes, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, 2018
- In today’s evolving global economy, cryptocurrencies are gaining momentum and they are here to stay. How can you team with regulators and law enforcement to detect fraud when cryptocurrencies are used for financial transactions? What can be done to trace and recover cryptocurrency assets for your clients? A panel discussion of case studies that highlighted administrative, civil, and criminal issues unique to cryptocurrency., Speaker, Bitcoin Gold Rush: Cryptocurrency Assets at the End of the Blockchain Rainbow, OffShoreAlert Conference (Miami), 2018
- Blockchain technology is rapidly evolving and creating a new genre of crypto-crimes. These new schemes present unique challenges for law enforcement, regulators, and asset recovery specialists. This session will discuss the types of fraudulent crypto-schemes out there, strategies to avoid and detect them, and how to recover assets., Speaker, Crypto-Crime: How To Prevent and Detect Crypto-Fraud & Recover Coin If You've Already Been Swindled, OffshoreAlert Conference (London), 2018
- Presented a lecture to 100+ IRS agents about defending financial crimes and tax crimes, Speaker, Financial fraud: A defense attorney's perspective, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, 2017
- Lawyers of Distinction, 2018
- International Bar Association, Member Criminal Law and War Crimes Committees, 2015
- Federal Bar Association, Member, 2015
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 2015
- International Technology Law Association, Member Cyber-Crime Committee, Member Social Media & Online Gaming Committee, 2015
- Legal Analyst for USAToday, WESH News, and Orlando's Channel 13 News for the Pulse Shooting Federal Trial of Noor Salman., 2018
- www.haaslawpllc.com/case-results/, 2018
- Stetson University College of Law (JD), 2001
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023