William R. Lowman, Jr.
Top rated Mergers & Acquisitions attorney in Orlando, FloridaShuffieldLowman
Practice Areas: Mergers & Acquisitions, Closely Held Business, Estate Planning & Probate; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1994
Education: University of Miami School of Law
ShuffieldLowman1000 Legion Place
Orlando, FL 32801 Visit website
Bill Lowman is a founder, current president, and chair of ShuffieldLowman’s mergers & acquisitions section. Bill has over 26 years of experience collaborating with business owners who are looking to tactically grow their companies or develop an exit strategy. His focus is on helping business owners make sure the terms of their transaction align with their personal goals and objectives while taking everything from the company valuation, tax consequences, allocation of risk, and overall net proceeds into consideration. With his involvement in well over 500 transactions in his career, he is able to serve as an advisor looking at a holistic view of the transaction, from the business side and the legal perspective. He strives to provide innovative and effective solutions to assist his clients with their varied and complex business and personal goals of the exit transaction.
His goal is first and foremost to set up entrepreneurs for success, with an exit strategy that provides them a competitive valuation and ensures that the proceeds from the transaction will allow them to maintain their lifestyle well into retirement. Bill takes great pleasure playing a role in the success of businesses, and in making personal lives more secure.
Florida Trend magazine included Mr. Lowman on its “legal elite” list several years in a row and Martindale-Hubbell awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating, the highest available. The Orlando Business Journal has also presented Mr. Lowman with various awards over the years. He is active in The Florida Bar’s Tax Lawyers Section and other professional associations.
After earning a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Miami, Mr. Lowman earned his law degree from the University of Miami School of Law. He also holds a Master of Laws degree in taxation from the University of Florida. He received his license to practice law in 1994, which made him eligible to practice law before all Florida state courts.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Results from Bill’s M&A Deals:
- ShuffieldLowman Represents Forensic Engineering Technologies During Sale to J.S. Held. View press release HERE.
- ShuffieldLowman Represents MSE Group During Sale to Montrose Environmental Group. View press release HERE.
- Altamont Capital Partners announced that its portfolio company, Colorado Boxed Beef, a leading national provider of protein products, has merged with Quirch Foods. View press release HERE.
Other Office Locations:
545 West Main Street
Tavares, FL 32778
203 East Rich Avenue
DeLand, FL 32724
851 Dunlawton Avenue,
Port Orange, FL 32127
Practice areasMergers & Acquisitions, Closely Held Business, Estate Planning & Probate, Business/Corporate, Tax: Business
Business Formation and Planning, Business Organizations, Contracts, Estate Planning, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter S Corporations, Tax Law
- 40% Mergers & Acquisitions
- 20% Closely Held Business
- 20% Estate Planning & Probate
- 10% Business/Corporate
- 10% Tax: Business
First Admitted: 1994, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://shuffieldlowman.com/william-r-lowman-jr/
- “Planning for the Uncertainty Behind the Certainty of Death and Taxes,” Duda Shareholder Education Session, 2011, Oviedo FL
- “Incentive Planning For Your Lineal Descendants,” SunTrust Bank, 2009, Orlando, FL
- “Structuring, Operating and Strategic Planning for Your Department of Defense Contracting Company,” 2008, High Technology Incubator at UCF
- “Maximizing the Value Of Your Business,” 2004, Orlando, FL
- “Major Considerations in Structuring a Joint Venture,” 2004, Orlando FL
- “The State of Estate Planning,” Smith Barney, 2003
- “Choice of Entity for Acquiring Commercial Real Estate,” Orlando Business Journal, 2001, Orlando, FL
- “Buying and Selling a Business in Florida: The Role of Attorney,” Lorman Education Services, 2001, Orlando, FL
- “Devising an Integrated Succession Plan for the Family Business Owner,” Central Florida Society of Financial Service Professionals, 2001, Orlando, FL
- “Florida Estate Planning,” Lorman Education Services, 2000, Orlando, FL
- “Charitable Remainder Trusts – Everything You Need to Know and More,” AXA Advisors, LLC, 2000, Orlando, FL
- “Solutions to the Repeal of the Installment Method for Accrual Basis Taxpayers,” Business Brokers of Florida, 2000, Orlando, FL
- “Organizing Your Business and Business Succession Planning,” Orlando Business Journal Seminar, 2000, Orlando, FL
- “Advanced Estate Planning Vehicles,” Lorman Education Services, 1999, Orlando, FL
- “Section 419 Plans,” Central Florida Society of Financial Service Professionals, 1999, Orlando, FL
- “Basics of the Transfer (Estate and Gift) Tax” and “What’s New and What’s Left in Sophisticated Estate Planning,” National Business Institute, 1998, Orlando, FL
- “Business Succession Planning” and “Sophisticated Charitable Planning Techniques,” Phoenix Life Insurance Company, 1998, Orlando, FL
- “Tax Issues in Long-Term Health Care,” Poe and Brown, 1997, Daytona Beach, FL. In addition, Mr. Lowman has spoken on numerous other corporate, tax and estate planning topics, dating back to 1997
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth
- Past memberships include Central Florida Estate Planning Council; Central Florida Planned Giving Council; and Central Florida Society of Financial Service Professionals
- Member, Florida Bar, Tax Section
- Member, Board of Directors, and Vice Chair of Legal & Compliance of International Financial Operations, Inc.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Junior Achievement of Central Florida Foundation, Inc.
- Florida, 1994
- Founding Member, Board of Trustees, and Chairman of the Board, St. Luke’s Lutheran Church and School Foundation, Inc.
- Member, Florida Citrus Sports
- International Financial Operations Foundation
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Bryan W. Judge and Minnie C. Judge Foundation
- Board of Directors and Secretary, Harvey and Carol Massey Foundation, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, Mark and Margery Pabst Charitable Foundation for the Arts
- Advisory Member, Board of Trustees, Lake Highland Preparatory School Foundation
- Super Lawyers, owned by Thomson Reuters, recognizes attorneys who have distinguished themselves in their legal practice, 2015-2020. The selection process is multi-phased and rigorous. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with third-party research and validation of the attorney’s professional accomplishments. The final published list represents five percent of the total lawyers in the state of Florida., Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
- 2005, 2009, 2012-2015, Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine; 2014, Top Rated Lawyers in Mergers & Acquisitions, ALM and Martindale-Hubbell; 2011 nominated for Most Influential Businessmen, Orlando Business Journal; 2011, Top Area Corporate Lawyers, Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine; 2007 and 2008, 40 Under 40, outstanding young executives, Orlando Business Journal; 2007, Best of the Bar, Orlando Business Journal.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated attorney
- University of Florida, LL.M. in Taxation, 1996
- University of Miami, B.B.A. in Economics, 1991
Office location for William R. Lowman, Jr.
1000 Legion Place
Orlando, FL 32801
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023