Carter W. Scott
Top rated personal injury attorney in Tallahassee, FloridaSearcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley, P.A.
CARTER W. SCOTT is licensed to practice in both Florida and Georgia and has been admitted pro hac vice to handle cases in various states throughout the country. He maintains a practice focused on wrongful death and serious injury cases resulting from brain injury, spinal cord injury, burns and catastrophic orthopedic injuries. He has represented clients in all types of complex litigation, with a focus on large personal injury lawsuits, including trucking collisions, products liability, medical negligence, cases involving policyholder insurance coverage matters, and related complex commercial disputes.
Having litigated and tried numerous cases to verdict in both federal and state courts, Mr. Scott has obtained substantial multi-million dollar recoveries for his clients. At the age of 28, he became one of the youngest attorneys in the United States admitted to both the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Mr. Scott has been included in Best Lawyers®, a peer reviewed publication recognizing the top 5% of lawyers in the United States in private practice and has been named one of the Top 40 under 40 trial lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers, a professional organization comprised of America’s top trial attorneys. His recognition in the legal community has also earned him distinctions by Florida Super Lawyers as a Rising Star and as Florida Trend magazine’s Legal Elite Up & Comer.
Before joining Searcy Denney, Mr. Scott worked as a Certified Legal Intern in the Office of the State Attorney in the 2nd Judicial Circuit, where he tried numerous misdemeanor and felony cases to verdict. Born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina, he also served as a summer law clerk for a senior judge on the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
Mr. Scott earned his J.D. from the Florida State University College of Law, where he was selected as a member of the College of Law’s trial team and accepted a scholarship to study at St. Edmund Hall in Oxford, England. During his second year of law school, he was one of 12 graduate students appointed by the Governor to serve a year-long term as a Gubernatorial Fellow in the Executive Office of the Governor. For his commitment to pro bono work in law school, the College of Law recognized Mr. Scott with the Distinguished Pro Bono Services Award.
Mr. Scott earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in government from Dartmouth College. While at Dartmouth, he played middle linebacker on their NCAA Division I-AA Ivy League football team, served as a member of the college’s Honor Council (Committee on Standards), and served as an editor of the Dartmouth Law Journal.
Mr. Scott is actively involved as an Eagle member of the Florida Justice Association and currently serves on its Board of Directors, having also served as Past President for the Florida Justice Association, Young Lawyer Division. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Tallahassee Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section. He is a member of The Florida Bar, The Georgia Bar, The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, the American Association for Justice, the Capital City Justice Association, and the Dartmouth Lawyers Association.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 2014, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.searcylaw.com/attorneys/carter-w-scott/
- Florida Bar Association, Member, Trial Lawyers Section
- The National Trial Lawyers “Top 40 Under 40” (2017, 2018)
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association, EAGLE member, Member, Young Lawyers Section, Member, Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Section - President-Elect (2018), Past Secretary
- Capital City Justice Association
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, Young Lawyers Division (2017, 2018)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The Georgia Bar
- The Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- The Dartmouth Lawyers Association
- Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctor, Tallahassee, Florida, May, 2014, FSU College of Law –Trial Team, The Fellows Society, Phi Delta Phi, Student Bar Association, Book Award – Upper Level Writing, Florida Gubernatorial Fellow, Class VIII
- St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, England, 2013, Oxford Scholarship Award
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, June 2011, Dartmouth Law Journal, Dartmouth’s Honor Council, “The Committee on Standards”, Varsity Football
- “Rookies vs. All-stars: Technology in the Courtroom” 2015 Big Bend Chapter of the Paralegal Association of Florida, Spring Seminar, Tallahassee, Florida March 2015, Speaker, Rookies vs. All-stars: Technology in the Courtroom”, 2015
- “End Distracted Driving” Lawton Chiles High School, Tallahassee, Florida May 2015, Speaker, End Distracted Driving, 2015
- , Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in America, 2021
- , Florida, Top 40 Jury Verdicts, 2019
- , Rising Star, Florida Super Lawyers, 2016
- , “Top 40 Under 40”, The National Trial Lawyers, 2018
- , Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2016
- , Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2016
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite “Up & Comer” (2018) , Up and Comer, Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2018
- Hope v. United Parcel Service, Inc. - $2,850,000.00. Wrongful death from car wreck, Settlement at trial, 2016
Office location for Carter W. Scott
The Towle House
517 North Calhoun Street
Tallahassee, FL 32301
- Rising Stars: 2018 - 2023