David C. Murray
Top Rated Insurance Coverage Attorney in Tampa, FL
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009, 2012, 2015
Attorney David C. Murray is the founder of Murray + Murray, a firm specializing in representation of plaintiffs in first party insurance claims. Serving citizens across the entire state of Florida, Mr. Murray represents policyholders who have been mistreated by their insurance company. Focusing solely on first party insurance law and related matters, he has achieved notable success advocating on behalf of individuals, businesses, condominiums, hotels and others dealing with denials of claims, underpayment of claims and insurance bad faith practices. He has established a state wide presence as an advocate for policyholders whose property and livelihood have been damaged following natural disasters, hurricanes, property losses, as well as mistreatment by the insurance companies.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Murray served as an Assistant State Attorney for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit in Tampa, gaining extensive trial and courtroom experience prosecuting all levels of crimes involving jury and non-jury trials. Since focusing on insurance law, he has recovered millions of dollars in settlements and awards for his plaintiff clients, earning membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Mr. Murray was awarded an “AV” Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell signifying that he has been determined to have the highest level of legal skill, integrity and ethical standards in the area of insurance coverage. He has received consistent recognition from his peers as one of the state's top attorneys for insurance litigation, and Tampa Magazine has featured him as among the region's leading lawyers for insurance law. Moreover, he has received many positive testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients, and he finds great reward in being able to help his clients obtain the insurance monies they need to rebuild their lives after a devastating disasters.
A native of North Carolina, Mr. Murray graduated from Elon College, and then attended Stetson University where he earned a Master of Business Administration and his law degree in 2001. He was admitted to Florida Bar in 2002, and is admitted to practice in all Federal Courts in the state of Florida, including the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern District and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He has extensive trial experience having tried over 75 jury trial.
Mr. Murray has given numerous lectures on insurance and litigation issues involving first party insurance claims. In addition, he has made multiple media appearances discussing first party insurance claims and related issues. Active in his legal community, he is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Florida Justice Association, the Hillsborough County Bar Association, the Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, the Florida Windstorm Insurance Network, among his other professional affiliations.
Committed to his local community, Mr. Murray is appointed by the Courts as a Guardian ad Litem advocating for abused and neglected children in the foster care system, and serves as a board member for the Heart Gallery of Tampa. He also works with other civic and charitable organizations across the Tampa Bay area.
About David C. Murray
First Admitted: 2002, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://murraylawgroup.com/attorney/david-c-murray/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- "Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Elon College k/n/a Elon University, Bachelors of Arts
- Stetson University School of Business Administration: Master's in Business Administration, 2001
- 2015 WFLA News Channel: Tampa, Florida, Topic: Valrico sinkhole activity raises questions about insurance; 2014 WFLA News Channel 8: Tampa, Florida, Topic: Why are homes not sinkhole resistant?; 2013 Fourteenth Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference Topic: 3-D Animation and Other Technological Advances Used in Windstorm Investigation; 2013 Success Symposium, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: Claims Technology New Approaches for Efficiency, Mobility & Identity; 2012 Thirteenth Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference Topic:Florida’s Building Code: Current Status and Expected Changes in Wind and Flood Code Upgrade Issues; 2012 Winter Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters; Topic: Knowing Coverage & Policy Interpretation; 2012 Fall Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: Business Practices for the 21st Century Public Adjuster: The Good, Bad the Ugly; 2012 Spring Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: Clients and Compensation; 2011 Twelfth Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference Topic: Current Status & Expected Changes, Wind & Flood Codes; 2011 Winter Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: Avoid the Fraudulent Policyholder; 2011 Spring Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters; Topic: It’s Hurricane Season, Do you know where you Apprentice is; 2010 Eleventh Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference, Topic:Adjusting Do’s & Don’ts: New Statutes; 2010 Summer Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: Sinkholes – Florida Other Catastrophe, 2010 Winter Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters, Topic: He Said, She Said, & All the Letters in Between, Letter Writing 101; 2008 Summer Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjuster Topic: Appraisal: A Panel Discussion with Umpires Approved by Florida Department of Financial Services as an Instructor & Provider for CLE courses; Adjuster Law & Policy, and Adjuster Ethics. 2008 Ninth Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference Topic: Changing Laws, Changing Codes, and Changing Coverages 2008 Winter Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters Topic: Pre-Suit Mediation of First Party Insurance Claims. 2007 Summer Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjuster Topic: Citizens Property Insurance Corporation. 2007 Winter Convention, Florida Association of Public Insurance AdjusterTopic: Florida Insurer of Last Resort: Citizens Property Ins. Corp.
- Florida Supreme Court (All Florida State Courts); U.S. District Courts: Middle District for the State of Florida; U.S. District Courts: Southern District for the State of Florida; U.S. District Courts: Northern District for the State of Florida; U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals - Eleventh Circuit; American Association for Justice Florida Justice Association; E.A.G.L.E. Member Million Dollar Advocates Forum The Hillsborough County Bar Association Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (FAPIA) National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA) Florida Windstorm Insurance Network, Inc. (WIND)
- The firm represents individuals, partnerships and corporations who are denied or underpaid insurance benefits by their insurance carrier in connection with an insurance claim.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Florida Justice Association; E.A.G.L.E. Member Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Last Updated: 5/15/2022