Top rated Intellectual Property Litigation attorney in Tampa, FloridaMatulis Mediation | Arbitration
Practice Areas: Intellectual Property Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Business Litigation; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1996
Education: University of Florida Levin College of Law
Matulis Mediation | Arbitration10906 Sheldon Rd
Tampa, FL 33626 Visit website
A partner at the Tampa, Florida, law firm Matulis IP Law, Jim Matulis is a skilled intellectual property (IP) and business law attorney serving clients since 1996. His experience as a litigator includes extensive involvement in contract disputes, noncompete agreements, patent infringement, trademark infringements, copyright infringement and compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), unfair competition, business dissolutions, internet defamation, trade secret and restrictive covenants.
Jim has been certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in Intellectual Property Law since 2007. He is also a registered patent attorney and has both prosecuted and litigated patents before the U.S. Patent Office and federal courts.
He has been selected six times in the past eleven years by peers as the Tampa-area Lawyer of the Year in intellectual property law areas, including Copyright Law (2023 & 2021), Intellectual Property Litigation (2019 & 2016) and Trademark Law (2017 & 2013) via The Best Lawyers in America® peer voting. When not being named as a Lawyer of the Year, his peers have acknowledged his skills and experience in the specialty areas of Commercial Litigation (2015-2023); Intellectual Property Litigation (2013-2023); Trademark Law (2013-2023); and Copyright Law (2014-2023).
Mr. Matulis is rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell for his professional excellence. He has a “Superb” rating on Avvo.
A graduate of Clemson University, Mr. Matulis graduated among the top in his class with a Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering in 1989. Later in 1995, he earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence with honors from the University of Florida Fredric G. Levin College of Law. During his time at the law school, he served as the senior executive editor of Florida Law Review and the president of the Environmental Law Society.
A registered patent attorney at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Mr. Matulis is licensed to practice in all the state courts of Florida, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Middle, Northern, Southern Districts of Florida, and the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Matulis is honored with several leadership positions in legal organizations. He is the executive council member of The Florida Bar Business Law Section and the former chair of its Intellectual Property Law Committee. He served as the co-chair of the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Law Section and it Mediation and Arbitration Section. He is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association. He has presented on IP law topics at multiple conferences and seminars and has also authored a number of articles.
Mr. Matulis is also certified state and federal court mediator and arbitrator and is well-versed in resolving matters that involve contract disputes, noncompete agreements, patent infringement, trademark infringements, copyright infringement, unfair competition, business dissolutions, internet defamation, restrictive covenants as well as those related to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
**AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasIntellectual Property Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Business Litigation, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff, Intellectual Property
Arbitration, Copyrights, Intellectual Property Law, Mediation, Non-Compete Agreements, Patents, Trade Secret, Trademarks
- 30% Intellectual Property Litigation
- 30% Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 20% Business Litigation
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10% Intellectual Property
First Admitted: 1996, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.matulislaw.com/jim-matulis2.html
- Selected to "The Best Lawyers in America® " in the specialty areas of Intellectual Property Law (2011, 2012, and 2013); Litigation - Intellectual Property (2013, 2014 and 2015); Trademark (2013, 2014 and 2015); and Copyright Law (2014); and Commercial Litigation (2015)
- Selected to Florida Trend Magazine's Legal Elite for Intellectual Property, 2011.
- Selected by Best Lawyers in America® as "Lawyer of the Year" in Trademark Law for the Tampa Bay Area (2013)
- Trustee - Carrollwood Day School (2013-present)
- Clemson University, B.S. Chemical Engineering, 1989
- University of Florida, J.D. (with Honors), 1995
- Florida Law Review, Editor-in-Chief, 1995
- Registered Patent Attorney, 2000
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2022
- Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law - Florida Bar, 2007
- Florida Bar Intellectual Property Committee, Chair, 2021
- Florida Bar Business Law Section Executive Committee
- Florida Bar IP Committee Chair
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, 2014
- Co-Chair of the Hillsborough County Bar Association Intellectual Property Committee,, 2009
- Serving as a moderator in a panel that included a mock argument before two federal court judges before an audience of Intellectual Property practitioners., Moderator, Case Study: Summary Judgment in IP Litigation - a Judicial View, featuring Federal Court Judges Darren Gayles and Mary Scriven, Florida Bar IP Symposium, 2022
- Serving as a moderator in a panel that included a mock argument before two federal court judges before an audience of Intellectual Property practitioners., Case Study: Preliminary Relief in IP Litigation - a Judicial View, featuring Federal Court Judges Nicole Reid and Julie Sneed, Florida Bar IP Symposium, 2021
- Providing a caselaw update to the Florida Bar's Business Law Section, Presenter, Intellectual Property Law Year in Review - Florida Bar Business Law Section, 2020
- Providing a summary of IP law to successful entrepreneurs, Overview of Intellectual Property, Jim Moran Institute for Global Leadership, Florida State University, 2019
- Article discussing ethical issues that may arise during mediation, Author, Turning Your Mediator into a Decisionmaker: Can't You Just Decide for Us?, 2017
- Article discussing challenges of enforcing trademark rights on Amazon, Author, War in the Amazon Jungle, Lawyer Magazine, 2017
- Providing an update on the trademark law developments to IP attorneys, 2017 Trademark Law Year in Review - Florida Bar Intellectual Property Committee's 8th Annual IP Symposium, 2017
- Article to assist lawyers with client challenges related to mediation, Speaker, Your Difficult Mediation Client...Help Me Help You!, Lawyer Magazine,, 2018
- Speaking to IP attorneys about mediation, Co-presenter, along with Federal Court Judge Paul Pizzo, Mediating Intellectual Property Cases, Hillsborough County Bar Association, 2016
- Presentation to IP attorneys about restrictive covenants, Legitimate Business Interests in Noncompetition Agreements and Other Restrictive Covenants – What It Really Takes, Hillsborough County Bar Association - Intellectual Property Section CLE, 2012
- Quoted in "Engineer Seeks $2 Million for BP Oil Spill Solutions," Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2012
- Patent Reform: What Passage of America Invents Act Means, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 2012
- Author, "The Real Cost to Your Client to Register Copyright in Their Website," , Lawyer Magazine , 2009
- Presenter, “Copyright Damages: or, How I Lost the Company to a Programmer, Photographer, Author,…”, Association Of Corporate Counsel Meeting, West-Central Florida Chapter, 2008
- Interviewed and quoted, Quoted, "Workers Rights: Employees’ Inventions May Lead to Patent Battles with Employers", Inside Counsel Magazine, 2008
- Contributing Author, "The Journal" Update on Commercial Litigation Case Law, The Florida Bar Association Business Law Section, 2008
- Author, "A Step-by-Step Look at the Patent Litigation Process," , Inside The Minds Series Of Books For C-level Professionals, Hardback Published By Aspatore Books, 2007
- Contributing Author, "Annual Trademark Law Update," , American Intellectual Property Law Association, 2005
- Author, Pre-Grant Publications of Patent Applications, The Lawyer, 2003
- Author, "Intellectual Property Alert – New Domain Name Registration Opportunities Are Coming" , The Lawyer, 2001
- Author, "Having Your Cake and Eating It Too", Trial Advocate Quarterly , (Winner “Best Article 1996-1997” Award), 1997
- Author, Attack of the Trolls 2 – Rise of the False Patent Marking Troll, The Lawyer, 2010
- patents copyrights trademarks cease and desist letters
Office location for Jim Matulis
10906 Sheldon Rd
Tampa, FL 33626
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2023
Certificates and credentials
Intellectual Property Law