Nancy H. Harris
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Tampa, FL
For more than 30 years, Nancy Hutcheson Harris has practiced exclusively in the area of marital and family law. Her firm, Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A., resolves complex family law matters using the collaborative or traditional methodologies. She focuses on protection without destruction, guiding clients through their most difficult challenges, while preserving the client’s most important assets – the family and their financial future.
Ms. Harris was chosen by her peers as Tampa’s #1 divorce lawyer in Tampa Magazine in 2017 & 2018 and was named Family Law Lawyer of the Year in U.S. News – Best Lawyers®. For more than 15 years, Ms. Harris has been listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, a compilation of select attorneys who have consistently earned an AV-rating, the highest score awarded by Martindale-Hubbell®. Ms. Harris has been recognized as one of Florida's outstanding lawyers in Florida Super Lawyers®, Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Tampa Bay Magazine’s Top Lawyers, Legal Leaders’ Tampa’s Top Rated Lawyers, The National Advocates Top 100 Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers in America. Her firm, Harris, Hunt, & Derr, P.A., has made the list of U.S. News- Best Law Firms® since 2016.
Nancy Harris is a founding member of the Tampa Bay Academy of Collaborative Professionals, earning recognition for her outstanding contributions to the collaborative movement. She is a frequent lecturer at Continuing Legal Education programs throughout Florida and, in 2016, presented at the 5th European Collaborative Practice Conference in Amsterdam.
Ms. Harris received the Hillsborough County Family Law Professionalism Award, selected by her attorney peers as having exemplified the highest standards of ethics and professionalism in the practice of family law. Ms. Harris authored the chapter on Collaborative Divorce in West Publishing Corporation’s Florida Family Law, 2011-2018 ed. (Vol. 23, Florida Practice Series).
Ms. Harris is currently on the Board of the Tampa Theatre; the Morean Arts Center Board of Trustees; formerly served on the Academy Prep Center Board of Trustees and the United Way Board of Trustees; and participates annually in the Lawyers for Literacy program.
For recreation, Ms. Harris enjoys challenging treks. She has summited Mt. Kilimanjaro; completed the Tour of Mont Blanc, France; reached Everest’s Base Camp; traversed Coast to Coast England; trekked the GR20 in Corsica; hiked the mountains of Bhutan; and climbed Mount Fuji.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2022
About Nancy H. Harris
First Admitted: 1985, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.harrishuntderr.com/family-law-attorneys/nancy-hu...
- , Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers
- , Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- , Top Lawyers of Tampa, The National Law Journal, 2012
- , Tampa Magazine #1 Divorce Lawyer, Tampa Magazine
- , Paul L. Whiting Sr. Service Award, 2019
- , 10.0 AVVO Rating, AVVO
- , Top 50: Women Florida Super Lawyers, Florida Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers, U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America
- Top Lawyer, Tampa Bay Magazine's Top Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Law Firms, U.S. News
- Professionalism Award, Hillsborough County Family Law Inn of Court
- Lawyer of the Year - Family Law, U.S. News - Best Lawyers, 2017
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Next Generation Divorce
- Past Member, Leadership Tampa
- Founding member, past Co-Chair and current Board member of the Tampa Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Current member of the Global Collaborative Law Council
- Member of the Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
- Past Chair and member of the Executive Council of the Hillsborough County Bar Association's Marital and Family Law Section
- Past Chair, Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Past Vice President and Board Member of the Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Past Member and Committee Chair, Florida Bar Family Law Section Executive Committee
- Past Board of Trustees, Academy Prep Center of Tampa Bay
- Master of the Tampa Family Law Inns of Court
- Member of the Canakaris Inns of Court
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board Member - Tampa Theatre
- Volunteers for Hospice Women of Philanthropy
- Participates in the Lawyers for Literacy program
- Past member of the United Way Baord of Trustees
- Board Member - Morean Arts Center
- Frequent Lecturer, All Marital and Family Law Issues, Continuing Legal Education Programs
- Guest Speaker, CNN News and National Public Radio
- Authored a chapter on Collaborative Divorce in West Publishing Corporation's Florida Family Law, 2011, 2012 ed. (Vol. 23, Florida Practice Series)
- Presented at the 31st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the 48th Annual Conference of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- JD, University of South Carolina, 1985
- Bachelor’s Degree, Converse College
- MSW, University of South Carolina, 1982
- Pimm v. Pimm, 601 So.2d 534, Fla., 1992
Last Updated: 5/15/2022