Karen E. Terry
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009
- Free Consultation
KAREN E. TERRY is a Shareholder at Searcy Denney Scarola Barnhart & Shipley, P.A. in West Palm Beach and has been with the firm for 25 years. Recently, Ms. Terry became Florida Bar Board Certified in civil trial law as well as in health care and medical malpractice, which are the highest honors one can achieve. For the last 10 years in a row, she has been named as one of The Best Lawyers in America. Recently honored as one of the top-rated lawyers in health care in the United States, Ms. Terry also was selected as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the country and Top 10 Best Female Attorneys in Florida.
Courtroom View Network cited Ms. Terry for Top Plaintiffs’ Verdicts in 2015 and the Daily Business Review recognized her for Top Plaintiffs’ Verdicts in 2019. She received the highest honor awarded by the Daily Business Review as its 2016 Product Liability Litigation Lawyer of the Year. Ms. Terry was selected as The Lawyer of the Year, 2017, in Mass Torts Litigation/Class Actions by Best Lawyers in America. In 2018, she became a Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator in Florida.
Ms. Terry has tried many big cases, but in August 2007, she received a jury verdict of over $25 million in Polk County, Florida against Walgreens for misfilling a prescription. In 2013 she also received a jury verdict of over $12 million in Palm Beach County, Florida and was inducted into the Florida’s Verdicts Hall of Fame for this case. She achieved the first verdict in the U.S. against a medical concierge company for the negligence of its doctor in causing catastrophic consequences for a woman.
Ms. Terry has been selected as one of the top five litigators by Florida Trend magazine and the South Florida Legal Guide. For the past 21 years she has been a member of the Florida Justice Association and the Palm Beach County Justice Association and has been active in her community. She recently was selected into the prestigious organizations the International Society of Barristers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. Ms. Terry is currently vice president of the Palm Beach Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, with aspirations to become president.
Before joining Searcy Denney, Ms. Terry clerked for former Chief Judge Walter Colbath of the 15th Judicial Circuit. A native of South Florida, she graduated cum laude from Duke University in three years and earned a master’s degree from the University of Florida. She then graduated with honors from the University of Florida College of Law.
About Karen E. Terry
First Admitted: 1995, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.searcylaw.com/attorneys/terry/karen+e./
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Member of YPO, Metro Chapter Mensa, 1994 to present Member of PBCJA, PBCBA, FJA, AAJ, FBA Million Dollar Advocates Forum 1996-present AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell ABOTA, 2009-present
- "Video Games, Violence, First Amendment Protection, and Regulation"; University of South Carolina Communications Journal, 1995.
- Masters in Mass Communication from University of Florida
- 1994-Present - American Bar Association, 1994
- 1995-Present - Florida Bar Association, 1995
- 1995-present Palm Beach County Justice Association, 1995
- 1995-Present - Florida Justice Association, 1995
- 1995-Present - Palm Beach County Bar Association, 1995
- 1996-present - American Association of Justice, 1996
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, FL. Dean's List - Honors Student; Student Honor Court, Attorney General , 1994
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL. Completed a Master's Degree in Communications Law at the University of Florida , 1995
- Duke University, Durham, NC - Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science, 1991. Graduated in three years with High Honors; Dean's List with Distinction; Golden Key National Honor Society; Political Science National Honor Society; Bench and Bar Legal Society - Vice President; Chairperson of the Panhellenic Judicial Board; Pi Beta Phi Sorority. Also took courses for credit at the London School of Economics, University of Madrid, Harvard, Georgetown, and Tufts University., 1991
- , Top 10 Most Impressive Plaintiff Verdicts, CVN, 2021
- 2022 Lawyer of the Year Award in Medical Malpractice, by Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Medical Malpractice, Best Lawyers in America, 2022
- , Top Lawyers, Palm Beach Illustrated, 2019
- Lawyer of the Year Award, 2017, in Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Plaintiffs, by Best Lawyers in America , Lawyer of the Year - Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action-Plaintiffs, Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Named 2016 West Palm Beach Product Liability Litigation Lawyer of the Year , Lawyer of the Year - Product Liability Litigation, Best Lawyers in America, 2016
- 2009-present. Selected by peers into Best Lawyers in America in 5 different categories: personal injury, medical malpractice, product liability, professional malpractice, and mass torts litigation. , Best Lawyer in 5 Categories, Best Lawyers in America, 2009
Last Updated: 5/15/2022