Philip M. Burlington
Top rated appellate attorney in West Palm Beach, FloridaBurlington & Rockenbach, P.A.
Practice Areas: Appellate, Civil litigation; view more
Licensed in Florida since: 1979
Education: University of Florida Levin College of Law
Burlington & Rockenbach, P.A.444 West Railroad Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL 33401 Visit website
Attorney Philip M. Burlington is a founding partner with Burlington & Rockenbach, P.A., law firm in West Palm Beach, Florida. A nationally ranked lawyer and board-certified in appellate practice by The Florida Bar, Mr. Burlington focuses his practice primarily on appellate law, and he provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout Palm Beach County and the surrounding areas of South Florida who seek to challenge a previous ruling regarding their cases.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Burlington has successfully handled more than 700 appeals, helping hundreds of clients obtain the favorable outcomes they deserve for their serious and complex civil law challenges. A recognized leader in this specific area of law, he has contributed to a number of reference texts regarding appellate law, uninsured motorist cases, post-trial proceedings and many other topics, and he has served as chairman of the Florida Trial Lawyers’ Amicus Curiae Committee, where he continues to serve on the board of directors.
Honored for his impeccable professionalism, outstanding legal abilities and high ethical standards, Mr. Burlington has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers. He has also received the S. Victor Tipton Award for Legal Writing.
A graduate of Johns Hopkins University, Mr. Burlington began his legal career in 1979 after obtaining his Juris Doctor from the University of Florida's Levin College of Law and his license to practice from The Florida Bar. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th and Federal Circuits.
Mr. Burlington is an active member of the Florida Justice Association, the Palm Beach County Justice Association, the Palm Beach County Bar Association and The Florida Bar, among his other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasAppellate, Civil litigation: plaintiff
- 50% Appellate
- 50% Civil litigation: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.flappellatelaw.com/attorneys/philip-m-burlington...
- Co-Author, Florida Justice Association, Bonding or Currying Favor? June 2018
- Author, Florida Civil Practice Damages, Chapter 10 “Post-Trial Proceedings” (Florida Bar CLE 6th Ed. 2005)
- Author, Florida Justice Association, Misleading Closing Argument, March 2018
- Co-Author, Florida Justice Association, Murphy and the Necessity of Objection, May 2017
- Co-Author, Florida Justice Association, Closing Arguments, March 2017
- Co-Author, Florida Justice Association, Settlements and Empty Chairs, January 2017
- Author, Florida Justice Association, Closing Argument in Uninsured Motorist Cases, July 2016
- Author, Florida Justice Association, Retaliatory Arguments, June 2016
- Co-Author, Florida Justice Association, Attacks on Opposing Counsel, June 2016
- Author, Florida Justice Association, A Comprehensive Analysis, January 2015
- N. Broward Hosp. Dist. v. Kalitan, 174 So.3d 403 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- University of Miami v. Rolle, 145 So.3d 850 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2014)
- GEICO v. Paton, 150 So.3d 804 (Fla. 4th DCA 2014)
- Go v. Normil, 184 So.3d 554 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016)
- Villas on the Green Condo. Ass’n v. Curtis, 175 So.3d 809 (Fla. 4th DCA 2015)
- N. Broward Hosp. Dist. v. Kalitan, 219 So. 3d 49 (Fla. 2017)
- 21st Century v. Sinclair, 190 So.3d 646 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016)
- ERP Operating Ltd. Partnership v. Sanders, 199 So.3d 554 (Fla. 4th DCA 2016)
- Heritage v. Williams, 211 So.3d 1038 (Fla. 2nd DCA 2016)
- Bethesda Hospital v. Crossley, 2017 WL 713960 (February 23, 2017)
- Marante v. Fils-Aime, 228 So.3d 571 (Fla. 4th DCA 2017)
- Stokes v. Antonich, 2018 WL1750889 (April 10, 2018)
- S. Victor Tipton Award, 2000
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- Florida Justice Association
- Palm Beach County Justice Association
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- John Hopkins University, B.A.
- Board-certified by The Florida Bar in Appellate Practice, 1994
Office location for Philip M. Burlington
444 West Railroad Avenue
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023
Certificates and credentials