Robert Thornhill, III
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Winter Haven, FloridaHowell & Thornhill, P.A.
Robert Thornhill III is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial attorney and a shareholder at Howell & Thornhill, P.A., in Winter Haven, Florida. For nearly three decades, he has been focusing his practice exclusively on personal injury matters, seeking justice for those who have been hurt by careless driving, misconduct, defective products and violations of safety rules. He serves clients across Lakeland, Winter Haven, Haines City, Lake Wales, Bartow, Zephyrhills and the surrounding areas in Florida.
Certified as a civil trial specialist by The Florida Bar, Mr. Thornhill has handled injury and death claims arising out of automobile crashes, medical malpractice, falls, nursing home abuse, car and bike accidents, animal attacks and more. He holds insurance companies to their contractual obligations and procures the rightful compensation for his clients.
Born and raised in Polk County, Florida, Mr. Thornhill graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in government from Dartmouth College in 1990. He graduated second in his class with his Juris Doctor in 1993 from the University of Florida - Fredric G. Levin College of Law, where he was a recipient of the Book Award for Torts, Contracts and Property; a member of the university’s law review; and inducted into the Order of the Coif honor society. He served as a law clerk for federal Judge Federico Moreno of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District Court of Florida.
A respected member of his community, Mr. Thornhill was appointed as the chair of the 10th Judicial Circuit Professionalism Committee, a panel formed by the Supreme Court of Florida to look after the professionalism complaints filed against attorneys within the circuit. He functions as the Inn Administrator for the Willson American Inn of Court and is the former chair of The Florida Bar – Grievance Committee.
Honoring his accomplishments, Mr. Thornhill was offered membership in the prestigious, invitation-only Million Dollar Advocates Forum and listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers list of The National Trial Lawyers. Moreover, he was peer-review rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell, the organization’s highest available rating.
Maintaining a central role within his legal community, Mr. Thornhill volunteers his time and services to charitable organizations such as the Kiwanis of Lakeland and the Volunteers in Service to the Elderly (VISTE).
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 100% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://howellthornhill.com/our-lawyers/
- Kiwanis Club of Lakeland
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Member
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Order of the Coif, University of Florida School of Law
- Book Award for Torts, Contracts, and Property, University of Florida School of Law
- Million Dollar Advocates, member
- Dartmouth College 1990 graduated Magna Cum Laude, 1990
- Graduated second in law school class from University of Florida law school. Book award (highest grade in class) for Torts, Property, and Contracts., 1993
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Civil Trial Law 2004 to present. This honor requires a sufficient number of trials, recommendations from Judges and lawyers, and excellence on a written examination. Less than 2% of Florida lawyers have this distinction., 2004
- Recertified by Florida Bar in Civil Trial Law, marking over 15 years of certification for Tri Thornhill., 2019
- Recertified by Florida Bar in Civil Trial Law, an honor less than 2% of Florida lawyers possess., 2014
- Recertified by Florida Bar in Civil Trial Law, a distinction less than 2% of Florida lawyers have., 2009
- Administrator for Willson American Inn of Court, association of Judges and Lawyers to promote professionalism in 10th Judicial Circuit., 2012
- Professional Panel Chair for 10th Judicial Circuit. Appointed by Chief Judge of 10th Judicial Circuit for panel that reviews professional complaints., 2016
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee Member for 10th Judicial Circuit. Tri is former chair of the committee reappointed for 2022-2025., 2022
Office location for Robert Thornhill, III
1350 Havendale Boulevard
PO Box 1499
Winter Haven, FL 33881
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
Certificates and credentials