Benjamin I. Fink
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaBerman Fink Van Horn P.C.
Practice Areas: Business Litigation, Employment Litigation; view more
Licensed in Georgia since: 1992
Education: Emory University School of Law
Berman Fink Van Horn P.C.3475 Piedmont Road Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30305 Visit website
Benjamin I. Fink, a shareholder in Berman Fink Van Horn P.C., concentrates his practice in business and employment litigation with a particular emphasis on non-compete, trade secret and other competition-related disputes.
With more than 25 years in practice, Ben has handled cases in Georgia’s state and federal courts as well as state and federal courts in more than 15 other states. He has also handled disputes in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Ben’s non-compete and unfair competition practice includes representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes involving non-compete, non-solicitation of customers, non-recruitment of employees and non-disclosure/confidential information agreements. Ben also represents disputes involving trade secrets, tortious interference with business and contractual relations, breach of fiduciary duty and/or duty of loyalty, unfair and deceptive trade practices, business defamation, trade name and trade dress infringement, Computer Systems Protection Act violations, Economic Espionage Act/Defend Trade Secrets Act claims, Electronic Communications Privacy Act claims, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claims, Stored Communications Act claims and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims.
Ben also represents plaintiffs and defendants in all types of other business and commercial disputes, including contract disputes, business torts, partnership, shareholder and other internal corporate disputes, shareholder derivative lawsuits and securities fraud claims.
Ben is experienced in helping draft agreements that can be instrumental in protecting the competitive edge of his client’s businesses and avoiding unfair competition, including non-competition, non-solicitation, non-recruitment, confidentiality and trade secret agreements and computer use provisions.
Given his extensive experience in the area of non-competes, Ben testified before a joint committee of the Georgia House and Senate tasked with studying proposed legislation relating to restrictive covenant agreements. He also served as a member of the State Bar of Georgia Special Legislative Study Committee on Restrictive Covenants, which served as a resource for the Georgia Legislature as it considered legislation.
In 2017, Ben was invited to attend the Inaugural Sedona Conference on Developing Best Practices for Trade Secret Issues, an invitation-only group of thought leaders in trade secret law. Today, Ben serves on Sedona Working Group 12 on trade secrets.
Ben is a well-respected writer and lectures regularly on non-competes, trade secrets and related topics, as well as other topics involving competition-related legal issues and other legal issues facing businesses. He co-authored a chapter on Restrictive Covenant Litigation for Georgia Business Litigation, a book published in 2013 by Daily Report Books, a division of ALM Media, LLC. He also co-authored a Practice Note on Georgia Confidentiality, Nondisclosure and Non-Solicitation for Thomson Reuters Practical Law.
Since 2005, Ben has been named a Super Lawyer in Atlanta Magazine for his work in Employment/Business Litigation and he has been selected by Georgia Trend magazine as one of Georgia’s Legal Elite since 2012. Since 2013, Ben has been named a Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyer and selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (2015 - present).
A member of the Labor and Employment Section Board of Directors of the Atlanta Bar Association from 2011 to 2019, Ben served as its Chair from 2014-2015. Since 1999, Ben has served on the board of Conexx: America Israel Business Connector. He served as Chair of the Conexx Board (2015-2017) and continues to serve on its Executive Committee. Ben is also involved with his university alumni organizations, including Duke University's Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee (2000 - present) and Atlanta Regional Alumni Board; and the alumni board of Emory Law School (2015 - present). In 2019, Ben was named President - Elect of the Alumni Board of Emory Law School.
After graduating from Duke University, Ben obtained his law degree from the Emory University School of Law and has lived in Atlanta since 1989. Ben is married to Robin Young Fink and has two children. When not practicing law, Ben enjoys kayaking, bicycling, playing golf and being an enthusiastic spectator at his children’s various athletic and recreational activities.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Employment Litigation: Defense
Employment Law - Employer, Non-Compete Agreements, Trade Secret
- 80% Business Litigation
- 20% Employment Litigation: Defense
First Admitted: 1992, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.bfvlaw.com/attorney/benjamin-i-fink/
- Successfully prosecuted and resolved claims for breach of noncompete in stock incentive plan of Fortune 50 company against former senior executives who joined a competitor.
- Represented estate planning and probate firm in dispute with former partner over buyout.
- Served as expert witness in defense of legal malpractice claim against in-house attorney arising out of ownership interest in company provided as part of his agreement to join the company.
- Served as local counsel in federal court in Georgia defense of ERISA claims brought by former manager of large, multi-national retailer.
- Successfully defended local employee benefits insurance broker against claims for commissions and other compensation by former independent contractor.
- Obtained favorable outcome in defense of claims of discrimination and harassment by a former employee of a large, national, innovative aviation solutions company.
- Obtained favorable settlement for direct-mail and digital marketing firm in relation to claims of copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets brought by former web developer in federal court in Illinois.
- Obtained dismissal and stay in favor of arbitration in federal court lawsuit against large, national staffing firm and several employees brought by former employer.
- Successfully defended large national insurance broker and producer from claim by former employer of breach of notice provision in employment agreement.
- Successfully defended insurance brokers who left large, national firm to form their own competing firm.
- Obtained final injunction and monetary judgment for analytics-drive population health and testing platform company against former human resources manager who stole confidential information.
- Obtained favorable settlement of litigation in Georgia and California for large, national institutional and specialty pharmacy company against former national sales manager who departed for a competitor.
- Successfully enforced restrictive covenants against former manager of parking management company.
- Successfully enforced restrictive covenants against former sales person for servicer for one of the nation’s largest bank lending programs.
- Obtained favorable settlement for large, national accounting firm against consultant who left to form his own competing firm and who took confidential information and violated certain restrictive covenants.
- Obtained favorable settlement for commercial space industry consulting firm against two employees who departed to form a competing firm and who took confidential information and trade secrets and violated certain restrictive covenants.
- Represented DUI law firm with respect to theft of documents and information by departing associate.
- Served as expert witness in defense of legal malpractice claim against attorneys who represented homeowner in dispute with contractor over home repairs and renovations.
- Advised group of 5 partners who left 45-attorney law firm to form their own firm on ethical and legal issues relating to the transition.
- Represented real estate attorney in facilitating settlement between insurer and plaintiff in malpractice case against the attorney.
- Represented real estate law firm with respect to theft of documents and information by departing partner.
- Represented large, regional law firm in defense of attempt to disqualify the firm from a large litigation matter based on a purported prior representation of one of the adverse parties.
- Served as expert witness in defense of attorneys’ fees motion against company and its counsel arising from their pursuit of a lawsuit against former employees and their new employer for violation of non-compete agreements, tortious interference with business, contractual and employment relations and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Defended insurance consulting firm at trial against compensation and fraud claims brought by former president of company. Obtained directed verdict at the close of the plaintiff’s case on president’s claim of fraud, though jury returned a verdict for him on his contract claims.
- Represented joint venture of three large, publicly traded competitors in drafting and negotiating employment agreement for chief executive officer of joint venture.
- Obtained favorable settlement of sexual harassment claim involving allegations of rape by a store manager brought by former employee of large, regional fast-food chain against the company.
- Successfully defended hospice company against claims of age and gender discrimination and violation of the Equal Pay Act by former staff physician by obtaining summary judgment as to all of the plaintiff’s claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a software and transaction processing company in relation to claims for copyright infringement brought by the Business Software Alliance.
- Obtained favorable settlement for operator of chain of retail gold-buying businesses in relation to claims of trademark infringement brought by a competitor.
- Obtained favorable settlement for podiatrist in relation to claim of trademark infringement asserted by a manufacturer of ankle braces and related products.
- Obtained favorable settlement for publicly traded software development and e-commerce firm in defense of claims by former customer for fraud and breach of contract.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a direct-mail marketing firm in relation to claims of copyright infringement by a competitor.
- Successfully defended seller of for-profit trade school in federal court in Dallas, Texas from claims of buyer for fraud and breach of contract.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of jury verdict and judgment for breach of contract and fraud entered against clients in the pre-funding of personal injury lawsuits business in case tried by other counsel.
- Successfully defended former Chief Executive Officer of public company in the gaming business from claims of securities fraud in excess of $5 million brought by a shareholder in federal court by obtaining directed verdict at the close of the plaintiff’s case.
- Obtained summary judgment for attorney/real estate investor against legal malpractice, fiduciary duty and partnership claims asserted by real estate agent/contractor/property manager relating to 50 properties acquired by the investor through various entities.
- Obtained $500,000 jury verdict for distributor of roofing products against manufacturer for breach of distributorship agreement and successfully defended distributor against counterclaims by the manufacturer for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Defended seller of company in commercial arbitration in New York City against claims by buyer in excess of $150 million for alleged fraud and breach of indemnification provisions in Stock Purchase Agreement.
- Obtained favorable settlement for large, publicly-traded financial institution in federal court case brought by lessor of equipment alleging conversion and unjust enrichment based on funds paid to that institution by a buyer of leased equipment from an insolvent company.
- Obtained favorable settlement for former shareholders of company in claim brought by former executive asserting ownership in stock options worth more than $1 million.
- Obtained favorable settlement for company providing branch technology and software solutions for financial institutions against former employee who breached restrictive covenants and misappropriated trade secrets.
- Successfully challenged over broad restrictive covenants of former employer on behalf of management executives who joined competing company in the logistics industry.
- Successfully defended founders of software and source code escrow company from attempt by former employer to enforce over broad restrictive covenants.
- Successfully enforced restrictive covenants in purchase and sale agreement for purchaser of blind and drapery business.
- Successfully challenged over broad restrictive covenants of former employer on behalf of founder of distributor of critical power solutions such as uninterruptible power, battery back-up power solutions and data center power.
- Successfully challenged over broad restrictive covenants of former employer on behalf of founders of direct mail marketing company.
- Obtained consent injunction for leading online social network for Hispanic health in the United States against former employee, prohibiting use of confidential information and trade secrets and solicitation of customers and prospective customers.
- Successfully defended minority owner of limited liability company in vinyl siding business from attempt by majority owner to enforce over broad restrictive covenants in their operating agreement.
- Obtained transfer to federal district court in Texas of lawsuit brought in federal court in Georgia by former employee challenging enforceability of non-compete agreement for Texas-based company providing financial and insurance products to automobile dealers.
- Obtained favorable settlement for cardiologist left with Hobson’s choice of remaining a partner in his medical practice and participating in tax fraud being committed by his partners or leaving and violating his non-compete agreement.
- Obtained consent injunction for leading seller of audio and video mounting solutions against former employee prohibiting solicitation of customers.
- Obtained favorable settlement for accountants who left a regional firm to form their own accounting firm and were sued for breach of a non-disclosure agreement and for violation of the trade secrets act.
- Obtained favorable settlement for CFO for hire firm against former employee who improperly diverted business and illegally downloaded information from the firm’s computer systems.
- Successfully defended executive in temporary and contract staffing business from attempt by former employer, a large multi-national company, to enforce over broad non-compete agreement.
- Successfully defended medical device distributor and its employees from claims of unfair competition and breach of non-compete agreements brought by former distributor.
- Obtained favorable settlement for five independent investment advisors who left one financial service firm for another and against whom claims for breach of a non-recruitment covenant, trade secrets violations, violations of the Georgia Computer Systems Protections Act and other related claims were asserted in both federal court and arbitration.
- Obtained favorable settlement in federal court case in Tennessee in case involving enforcement of non-compete agreements against former owners of company acquired by client, a large, national insulation sub-contractor.
- Consulted by multi-national, aerospace manufacturer concerning hiring of management team from a competitor.
- Appointed by Superior Court of Cobb County, Georgia as Special Master to preside over expedited discovery and carry out the terms of a Temporary Restraining Order in a lawsuit involving alleged economic espionage and theft of trade secrets and confidential information.
- Successfully enforced non-compete agreement against former sales representative and new employer for large, national insulation sub-contractor.
- Successfully challenged over broad non-compete agreement for senior sales executive and physician and their new employer, a public company in the disease management business.
- Served as mediator in non-compete/trade secrets dispute in case pending in federal court in New York between parties from California and New York.
- Obtained favorable settlement for financial advisor and his new firm in FINRA arbitration where former firm had asserted claims for breach of a non-solicitation agreement, breach of fiduciary duty and other related claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement for legal staffing firm against sales executive who departed to join competing firm and took significant confidential information and trade secrets.
- Selected to serve as a neutral to evaluate potential violation of non-compete by executive who transitioned from one global risk management company to another.
- Successfully defended large, national staffing firm and sales executives who transitioned to firm from a competitor in case involving claims of breach of non-compete and trade secret theft.
- Successfully defended and resolved claim in Delaware Chancery Court of breach of a non-recruitment covenant against a large, national insurance broker arising from potential acquisition of a competing broker.
- Successfully prosecuted and resolved claim for breach of no-hire covenant against competitor/buyer of apartment complex.
- Won summary judgment for large, national insurance broker and group of sales executives who transitioned to broker from a competitor in case involving claims of breach of non-compete and customer non-solicitation covenants, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret misappropriation and computer fraud.
- Obtained consent injunction against former R&D scientist of biotech company who was subject to a non-compete and joined a competitor in a similar role.
- Atlanta Bar Association Judicial Selection Committee
- State Bar of Georgia Intellectual Property Law Section
- Chair, American Intellectual Property Law Association Programming Committee, 2019 – 2020
- Advocate, Litigation Counsel of America, Order of Certus
- Vice Chair, American Intellectual Property Law Association Trade Secret Law Committee (Present)
- Barrister, Litigation Counsel of America, Order of Veritas
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Diversity Law Institute
- Fellow, Federal Bar Association, Litigation Counsel of America (The Trial Honorary Society)
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- Board of Directors, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, 2010 – 2019
- Immediate Past Chair, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, (present)
- Immediate Past Chair, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, 2015-2016
- State Bar of Georgia Labor and Employment Section
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association Litigation Section
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Secretary/Treasurer, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, 2012 – 2013
- State Bar of Georgia Special Legislative Study Committee on Restrictive Covenants
- Vice Chair, American Intellectual Property Law Association Legislative Sub-Committee, 2013
- Chair, American Intellectual Property Law Association Legislative Sub-Committee, 2013 – 2015
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Trade Secrets Committee
- American Bar Association Labor and Employment Section
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Atlanta Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- Chair Elect, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, 2013 – 2014
- Chair, American Intellectual Property Law Association Cybersecurity Sub-Committee, 2015 – 2016
- Chair, Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, 2014-2015
- Georgia, 1992
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- State Bar of Georgia Business Law Section
- Supreme Court of the United States
- , Enforcing Non-Compete Agreements in Georgia
- , Laws to Protect your Trade Secrets and Confidential Information
- , Non-Compete Update
- , Do I Have a Trade Secret or Confidential Information?
- , Ten Key Considerations When Taking a Job with a Competitor
- , FINRA Guidance Helps Departing Brokers
- , Assessing the Risk of Trade Secret Theft by a Departing Employee
- , Supreme Court to Decide Meaning of Trade Secrets?
- , Another Call for Non-compete Reform
- , An Important Alert for Georgia Employers
- Berman Fink Van Horn Videos
- Choice of Law and Venue
- Gaps in the New Statute
- Non-Compete Update
- Blue-Penciling & Judicial Modification
- What is a Trade Secret?
- Case Law Update
- Who can be Covered by a Non-Compete?
- Appointed by Georgia Supreme Court as Mentor for Transition into Law Practice Program
- President, Emory Law Alumni Board, 2021 - present
- President-Elect, Emory Law Alumni Board, 2019 - 2020
- Chairman, Conexx: America Israel Business Connector Professional Committee, 2003 – 2012
- Conexx: America Israel Business Connector Executive Committee, 2003 – present
- Chairman Elect, Conexx: America Israel Business Connector, 2013 – 2015
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Vice Chairman, Conexx: America Israel Business Connector, 2009 – 2013
- Chair of the Board, Conexx: America Israel Business Connector, 2015 – 2017
- Duke University Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee, 2000 – present
- Board of Directors, America Israel Business Connector, 1999 – present
- Member, Emory Law Alumni Board, 2015 – present
- Duke University Atlanta Regional Alumni Board- September 2018- Present
- Duke University, B.A., 1989
- Ben was named 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Labor and Employment in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021., The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021
- Ben has been awarded an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell in the areas of ethical standards and legal ability.
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (Honorary Society)
- Selected Annually as a Georgia "Super Lawyer" by Atlanta Magazine, 2005 – present
- Atlanta Bar Association's Distinguished Service Award, May 2015
- Ben has been named a Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyer
- Based upon peer recommendations, Ben has been selected as one of Georgia Trends’s Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine., 2011
- Ben was invited to attend the Inaugural Sedona Conference on Developing Best Practices for Trade Secret Issues. Attendance is by invitation only for approximately 75 thought leaders in trade secrets law. (December 2017) Every year, Ben has continued to attend the invitation-only meeting of the Sedona Conference Working Group 12 on Trade Secret Issues. He is currently serving on the drafting team for "Protecting Trade Secrets in Litigation About Them."
- selected for the Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2012-present
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2011-present
- Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyer, 2013-present
- Ben has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015
- Ben has been selected for the Super Lawyers Business Edition for his work in Employment & Labor., 2012
- Awarded an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 – present
- Ben received the Atlanta Bar Association’s Distinguished Service Award for demonstrating outstanding service as chair of the labor and employment law section. Ben helped conceive an anniversary event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the landmark 1964 Civil Rights bill (May 2015), 2015
- Ben has been selected annually as a Georgia “Super Lawyer” by Atlanta Magazine based on research and surveys conducted by Law and Politics Media., 2005
- On August 31, 2022, Ben served as co-chair for the State Bar of Georgia/Institute of Continuing Legal Education program, "Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets." He also presented "Restrictive Covenants in Employment in Other Agreements" and moderated a panel, "Recent Legislative Updates: Are Noncompetes Going to be Banned?", 2022
- In May 2022, Ben authored a podcast entitled, "Fairly Competing: Cease and Desist Letters" , https://fairlycompeting.com/2022/05/01/fairly-competing-episode-15-cease-and-desist-letters/, 2022
- On May 18, 2022, Ben presented “Irreparable Harm (Presumed or Not) in Federal Trade Secret Cases” at the AIPLA Spring Meeting in New Orleans., 2022
- On April 28, 2022, Ben served as a panelist to discuss “Non-compete Agreements: Advising Employers and Departing Employees” during the Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section webinar, “The Great Resignation.”, 2022
- On April 7, 2022, Ben moderated a panel “Navigating Trade Secret Systems in a Rapidly Changing Innovation Environment” at IPLSPRING, the American Bar Association-Intellectual Property Law Section’s Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., 2022
- In March 2022, Ben authored a podcast entitled, "Fairly Competing: Irreparable Harm in Trade Secret Cases”, https://fairlycompeting.com/2022/03/16/fairly-competing-episode-14-irreparable-harm-in-trade-secret-cases/, 2022
- In March 2022, Ben was a contributing editor in "The Sedona Conference Commentary on Protecting Trade Secrets in Litigation About Them", https://thesedonaconference.org/publication/Commentary_on_Protecting_Trade_Secrets_in_Litigation_About_Them, 2022
- On December 14, 2021, Ben led a discussion on “Getting In and Staying Out of Trouble: Ethical Issues in Trade Secret Cases” at the Sedona Conference WG12 (Trade Secrets) Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona., 2021
- On December 3, 2021, Ben presented to members of the Association of Corporate Council, “Employer Non-Competes and Other Restrictive Covenants: Trends, Traps and Hot Topics.”, 2021
- In December 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled, "Fairly Competing: Year in Review"., https://fairlycompeting.com/2021/12/24/fairly-competing-episode-13-year-in-review/, 2021
- On November 9, 2021, Ben moderated a panel at the AIPLA annual Trade Secret Summit in Austin, Texas, “Protecting Trade Secrets in a Post-COVID-19 World: Trends, Traps, and other Hot Topics for Protecting Trade Secrets in the Remote Working Environment.”, 2021
- On October 7, 2021, Ben presented "Non-Competes, Trade Secrets and Computer Fraud" at The Seminar Group's 18th Annual Labor & Employment Law conference in Atlanta., 2021
- In October 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled, "How to Avoid Dismissal and Get an Injunction in Trade Secret Cases" (Wisk Aero LLC v. Archer Aviation Inc.) , https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-how-to-avoid-dismissal-and-get-an-injunction-in-trade-secret-cases-wisk-aero-llc-v-archer-aviation-inc/, 2021
- In August 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled "Mediating Trade Secret Disputes" , https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-mediating-trade-secret-disputes/, 2021
- In July 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled "The Supreme Court's Decision in Van Buren v. U.S. (Computer Fraud and Abuse Act)" , https://fairlycompeting.com/2021/07/24/fairly-competing-episode-10-the-supreme-courts-decision-in-van-buren-v-u-s-computer-fraud-and-abuse-act/, 2021
- On June 10, 2021, Ben participated on a panel, "Handling Evidence Remotely: Maintaining Protection of Confidential/Trade Secret Information and Building the Record for Trial and Appeal" at the 2021 Sedona Conference on Remote Case Management of IP Proceedings., 2021
- In June 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled "Litigating Trade Secret Cases, Part 2", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-litigating-trade-secret-cases-part-2/, 2021
- In June 2021, Ben authored a podcast entitled "Litigating Trade Secret Cases.", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-litigating-trade-secret-cases/, 2021
- In April 2021, Ben authored a Podcast entitled “Litigating Trade Secret & Restrictive Covenant Injunctions, Generally and in the COVID Era", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-litigating-trade-secret-restrictive-covenant-injunctions-generally-and-in-the-covid-era/, 2021
- On April 1, 2021, Ben participated on a panel, "Trade Secret Roundtable on Developments and Emerging Issues" at NERA Economic Consulting's Developments in Trade Secret Litigation webinar series,, 2021
- On March 11, 2021, Ben presented "TRO's, Preliminary Injunctions, Trials... Oh My!" during a Litigation Council of America webinar., 2021
- In March 2021, Ben authored a Podcast entitled "Protecting Trade Secrets, Hot Issues Part 2", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-protecting-trade-secrets-hot-issues-part-2/, 2021
- On November 10, 2020, Ben participated on a panel, “Inevitable Tension: Reconciling Public Court Access with Protecting Trade Secrets in Litigation,” at The Sedona Conference Working Group 12 2020 Annual Meeting., 2020
- In January 2021, Ben authored a Podcast entitled "Episode 1: Fairly Competing" , https://www.bfvlaw.com/fairly-competing-podcast-episode-1/
- In January 2021, Ben authored a Podcast entitled "The Basics of Noncompete Law & What Lies Ahead", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-the-basics-of-noncompete-law-what-lies-ahead/
- In February 2021, Ben authored a Podcast entitled "Protecting Trade Secrets - Hot Issues", https://www.bfvlaw.com/podcast-protecting-trade-secrets-hot-issues/, 2021
- On December 4, 2020, Ben participated on a BFV Virtual Roundtable to address employment, real estate, noncompete/unfair competition and mergers and acquisitions topics., 2020
- On November 20, 2020, Ben presented during an Atlanta Bar Association Zoom event,"Trade Secret Protection with Employees Working Remotely: What You Need to Know." This was a joint event with the Labor & Employment Law Section and the Intellectual Property section., 2020
- On February 24, 2020, Ben was a featured speaker on a State Bar of Georgia panel, "Trade Secrets Audits and Asset Management.", 2020
- Ben authored "Is Liberal Enforcement of NonCompetes Still Good Policy?" Georgia Bar Journal (October 2020), 2020
- On August 12, 2020, Ben moderated a panel, "All You Need to Know About Ex Parte Seizures under the DTSA" at the AIPLA Trade Secret Law Summit., 2020
- On July 10, 2020, Ben co-presented during a BFV "Office Hours" webinar, “COVID-19/Protecting your Business Now & in the Future.”, 2020
- On July 28, 2020, Ben presented at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) webinar, "What you Need to Know About Trade Secret Protection." , 2020
- On May 13, 2020, Ben presented “Trade Secrets Practices: What You and Your Employees Need to Know” during an American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) webinar., 2020
- On March 18, 2020, Ben was invited to help teach a trade secrets class via Zoom for University of Pennsylvania Law School students., 2020
- Ben authored Employer Alert: Non-Competes are Under Attack in Certain States in the Berman Fink Van Horn E-News (Winter 2020), 2020
- Ben authored Protecting Trade Secrets in a Coworking Space in American Intellectual Property Law Association's "Innovate Magazine" (October 2019)
- On January 31, 2020, Ben was a featured speaker at the Practising Law Institute’s program, “Noncompetes and Restrictive Covenants 2020: What Every Lawyer, Human Resources Professional and Key Strategic Decision Maker Should Know” in San Francisco, Calif., 2020
- On January 10, 2020, Ben served as Program Chair and hosted the ICLE: State Bar of Georgia Series seminar "Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets in Georgia." He also presented "Restrictive Covenants in Employment and other Agreements."
- Ben authored Trade Secret Lessons for Berman Fink Van Horn E-News in 2016
- On September 11, 2019, Ben presented to Fulton Superior Court Judges and Staff attorneys, “Georgia Trade Secret Law: Everything You Need to Know About Trade Secrets in 60 Minutes.”, 2019
- Ben was scheduled to present “Trade Secret Audits and Asset Management” at the Georgia Bar IP Section 2019 IP Institute in Amelia Island, Florida. (September 6, 2019), 2019
- On November 5-6, 2018, Ben attended the Sedona Conference Working Group 12 on Trade Secrets in Hollywood, Calif. Attendance is by invitation-only for a select group of thought leaders in trade secrets law. Ben was also invited to serve on a consensus, non-partisan team to draft Principles/Best Practices Commentary on Protecting Trade Secrets in Litigation for the Sedona Conference.
- On January 10, 2019, Ben moderated the State Bar of Georgia’s ICLE seminar, “Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets in Georgia.” During the seminar, Ben also presented “Restrictive Covenants in Employment and other Agreements.”
- On March 14, 2019, Ben presented “Finally! Guidance from the Georgia Court of Appeals on the “New” Restrictive Covenants Act” at the Atlanta Bar Association’s Advanced Employment Law CLE Program.
- On March 21, 2019, Ben moderated “Implementation of a Trade Secret Protection Policy & Process” at the AIPLA 2019 Trade Secret Law Summit in New York.
- On March 22, 2019, Ben participated on a panel, “Proactively Dealing with Confidential/Trade Secret Information when Advising a Departing Employee/New Employer,” at the AIPLA 2019 Trade Secret Law Summit in New York.
- Ben authored The Enforceability of Choice-of-Law Provisions in Employment Agreements in Light of Georgia's New Restrictive Covenants Act for Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Section Newsletter in 2012.
- Ben co-authored No Punitive Damages under the GCSPA: What Employment Litigators should Know about the Georgia Supreme Court's Recent Decision for Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Bar Section Newsletter in 2017.
- Ben co-authored Practical Law Commercial Transactions: Confidentiality and Nondisclosure Agreements (GA) for Thomson Reuters in 2018.
- Ben authored Spies in our Midst: The Reality of Trade Secret Theft for Emorywire in 2016.
- Ben authored The Employee Fiduciary Duty in Georgia: Narrowest in all the Land? for the Atlanta Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section in 2016.
- Speaker at an ethics, professionalism and mentoring seminar hosted by the Lawyers Club of Atlanta, January 2008
- Bipartisan Bill Introduced in Congress Would Create a Private Right of Action for Trade Secret Theft Under Federal Law, BFV E-News, July 2014
- Served annually on the faculty of Covenants Not to Compete, a seminar sponsored by Lorman Education Services. The seminar is designed for attorneys who counsel corporate and business clients on restrictive covenant agreements with employees, since 1995
- Interview with Mr. Benjamin Fink: Job Market for Students and Recent Grads, May 2014
- Appeared as a regular guest on The Career Doctors on WGKA 920 AM providing commentary on a wide range of legal issues facing employees and employers in the workplace, 2005 to 2007
- Is Strict Enforcement of Non-Competes Good Policy? Substantial Evidence Suggests it is Not, April 2014
- Speaker on "The Use of Restrictive Covenants in Employment Law" at the Employers' Duties and Problems seminar sponsored by the Institute for Continuing Legal Education in Georgia on September 26, 2003
- Is your Company BYOD or COPE?, Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Newsletter, Holiday Edition 2013
- Appeared on the Layman's Lawyer on WPBA Channel 30 on October 31, 2003 discussing non-compete agreements
- Co-Author, "Restrictive Covenant Litigation" chapter in Georgia Business Litigation, 2013 Daily Report Books, a division of ALM Media, LLC, 2013
- Ben moderated a panel, "Non-Compete Developments" at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Trade Secret Law Summit, March 2, 2017
- Why we do Pro Bono Work, BFV E-News, November 2013
- Ben Moderated a Trade Secrets session at the American Intellectual Proerty Law Association (AIPLA) Mid-Winter Institute and presented "New Trade Secrets Protections in the USA and the EU - What you Need to KNow to Get Things Just Right", February 3, 2017
- The Georgia Supreme Court's "Rejection" of the Inevitable Disclosure Doctrine – What it May Mean and What it May Not, Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section Newsletter, Summer 2013
- Ben presided over the Restrictive Covenants seminar at the State Bar of Georgia and presented "Restrictive COvenants in Employment and Other Agreements", January 25, 2017
- Protect your Company Information from Personal Devices, BFV E-News, April 2013
- Ben presented "Non-competes, Trade Secrets and Other Restrictive Covenants - Oh My!" at the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia's seminar on "Growth Companies Legal and Business Considerations", September 9, 2016
- Is Sending an Announcement "Solicitation?", BFV E-News, October 2012
- Ben presented "Protecting your Business from Trade Secret Theft" to members of the Emory University Entrepreneur Network, June 23, 2016
- A Primer for Georgia Employers on What Litigation Under the New Restrictive Covenants Act May Look Like, Business Law Perspectives, Spring 2011
- "Defensible Deletion after Information Theft is Discovered," Today's General Counsel, February/March 2015
- Ben co-presented "The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Trade Secret Prtection Goes Federal" to webinar participants of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, June 21, 2016
- BFV's Global Reach, BFV E-News, December 2014
- Ben was a featured speaker at the Atlanta Bar Labor & Employment Law Section Annual Seminar. He spoke on Restrictive Covenant Matters, March 18, 2016
- A Journey Back in Time: The National Center for Civil & Human Rights, The Atlanta Lawyer – The Atlanta Bar Association, November 2014
- Ben presented "Restrictive Covenants in Employment and Other Agreements" at a "Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets" seminar for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, January 14, 2016
- "Recent State Law Legislative Developments Relating to Non-Competes and Trade Secrets," November 2015
- On March 3, 2017, Ben moderated a panel, “”The Coca Cola Trade Secret Case: A Case Study of Civil and Criminal Coordination,” at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Trade Secret Law Summit., 2017
- Presenter at an American Intellectual Property Law Association webinar on personal electronic devices and the protection of trade secrets, February 26, 2014
- On September 14, 2017, Ben served as moderator at the Federal Bar Association Annual Meeting and Convention program, “Trade Secret Protection Goes Federal.”
- Speaker about the new Restrictive Covenant Act in Georgia at a meeting of the Georgia affiliate of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), April 14, 2011
- On December 5, 2017, Ben presented “TRO’s, Preliminary Injunctions, Trials…Oh My!” at an Atlanta Bar Association continuing education seminar.
- Speaker about the new Restrictive Covenant Act in Georgia at the Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section at The W Midtown Atlanta Hotel, March 17, 2011
- Moderated a panel, “”The Coca Cola Trade Secret Case: A Case Study of Civil and Criminal Coordination,” at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Trade Secret Law Summit, March 3, 2017.
- On January 11, 2018, Ben presided over and spoke at the State Bar of Georgia’s Institute of Continuing Legal Education program, “Restrictive Covenants & Trade Secrets in Georgia.” He discussed restrictive covenants in employment and other agreements and participated on a panel to discuss injunctions, declaratory judgments and protective orders.
- On March 29, 2018, Ben co-presented an “Update on Georgia Employment Law” at the Atlanta Bar Associations Advanced Employment Law CLE program.
- Speaker about the new Restrictive Covenant Act in Georgia at the UHY Advisors Financial Leaders Seminar at the world headquarters of The Home Depot, March 17, 2011
- Restrictive Covenants in Georgia: Avoiding the Choice of Law Trap. Employment Law 360.com, November 27, 2006
- On May 3, 2018, Ben co-presented “Worried About Leaving Employees Becoming Thieving Employees?” at the SHRM Atlanta Legal Summit. He discussed what HR professionals can do now to protect their company, confidential information and competitive edge.
- Speaker on "How Does The New Georgia Non-Compete Law Affect My Business?" at the Buckhead Club Breakfast Program, April 12, 2011
- Can Your Web Site Cause Your Company to be Sued in States Other than the State in Which Your Business is Located? Techlinks.net, Monday, April 19, 2004
- On September 21, 2018, Ben participated on a panel, “Two Years In: What we’ve Learned from the Defend Trade Secrets Act,” at the State Bar of Georgia IP Institute.
- Co-presented "Future of Non-Competes as a Tool for Protecting Trade Secrets" at the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Spring Meeting in Philadelphia, Pa, May 16, 2014
- Personal Jurisdiction and the Internet: Changing the Rules or Not? Technology Law Section Newsletter, State Bar of Georgia, Winter, 2003
- On October 26, 2018, Ben moderated a panel, “Trade Secret Litigation: Practical Tips for Fast-Changing Standards,” at the American Intellectual Property Law Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., AIPLA, 2018
- Speaker at "Covenants Not to Compete," a Lorman Educational Seminar in Atlanta, December 3, 2013
- Protecting Your Business from Start to Finish: Identifying Your Objectives When Using Restrictive Covenants in Employment Agreements, The Human Resource, April, 2003
- Speaker at the Ocean Tomo Trade Secret Management & Monetization Symposium in Chicago, September 10, 2013
- Employment Agreements-Leaving Employees Can Sometime Be Thieving Employees,Competitive Edge, September/October, 2002
- Employment Agreements in Georgia: Avoiding Costly Mistakes, HR Atlanta, Volume 7, No. 5, October, 1999
- Speaker at the Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Section seminar on Advanced Employment Law. Ben offered advice on what employers can do to avoid jeopardizing intellectual property when employees depart, March 2013
- Georgia State Bar panel, "Restrictive Covenants: Trends in Georgia and Beyond" at the 45th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute, On December 4, 2015
- Presented "Law of Restrictive Covenants in Employment and Sale of Business Agreements" at the Lorman Seminar on "Covenants Not to Compete in Georgia, December 3, 2014
- Panel to provide an update on "State and Federal Non-Compete and Trade Secret Legislation" at the 2015 AIPLA Trade Secret Law Summit in Boston, November 12, 2015
- Presented "Protecting your Business from Trade Secret Theft" to members of the Buckhead Club, November 7, 2014
- Presented a "Non-Compete Update" at the Annual Seminar: State Bar of Georgia, Labor & Employment Law Section, December 5, 2014
- Speaker at the Covenants Not to Compete in Georgia seminar, hosted by Lorman Education Services. He discussed how to avoid the pitfalls of noncompete agreements and other issues about the law of trade secrets and confidential information, December 5, 2012
- Litigation Holds and the Preservation of Relevant Information: Business Acumen and Good Management Practices in the Electronic Era Business Law Perspectives, Spring 2010
- Speaker on The Law of Restrictive Covenants in Employment and Sale of Business Agreements at the Covenants Not to Compete Seminar hosted by Lorman Education Services at the Cobb Galleria Centre, December 9, 2011
- Protecting Your Customer Relationships in the BlackBerry Age Business Law Perspectives, Winter 2010
- Speaker about Non-Compete and Other Restrictive Covenants at the Cobb County Bar Association Business Law Section seminar at the Cobb Galleria Centre, February 4, 2011
- Significant Changes to Georgia Law on Non-Competes Possibly on the Horizon Business Law Perspectives, Fall 2009
- Speaker about Georgia's new restrictive covenant legislation and proposed Constitutional amendment at the Atlanta Bar Association Labor & Employment section lunch at the Capital City Club, October 28, 2010
- Daily Report cites Benjamin I. Fink for work on fee award in Title VII case
- Speaker on Georgia's new restrictive covenant legislation and proposed Constitutional amendment at the 29th Annual Business Law Institute, a series of seminars hosted by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) in Georgia at Callaway Gardens, October 22-23, 2010
- Speaker on The Legal and Ethical Pitfalls of Changing Law Firms at the Atlanta Bar Association Real Estate Section breakfast at the Buckhead Club, October 7, 2010
- Georgia's New Non-Compete Statute: Is This Legislation Good for Business in Georgia? Business Law Perspectives, Summer 2010
- Speaker about Non-Competes and Other Restrictive Covenants at a seminar on "Practicing Business Law in the New Economy" sponsored by the Business Law and Litigation Section of the Cobb County Bar Association, January 29, 2010
- Mobile Devices in the Workplace: Protecting Trade Secrets and Confidential Information, Attorney at Law Atlanta Magazine, Volume 3 Number 5
Office location for Benjamin I. Fink
3475 Piedmont Road Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30305
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Georgia Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023
- Top 100: 2023 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2022 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2021 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2020 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2019 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2018 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers
Additional sources of information about Benjamin I. Fink
Find me online
- Today, BFV's @chuckvanhorn91 was a proud host to guest speaker Robin Bienfait, CEO and Founder of Atlanta Tech Park… https://t.co/Wxw9bXuH3g
- @atlantabar Real Estate Event: @kmsilverman, Brian Linnihan, Chris Godfrey, Casey Holloway & Elizabeth Harps discus… https://t.co/YBiAqI2wev
- We began this month w the great opportunity to host the kick-off for Emory's Community Leadership Impact Program. W… https://t.co/SC5XLpwuvI