Halsey G. Knapp, Jr.
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Atlanta, GA
Halsey G. Knapp Jr. is a senior partner with Krevolin & Horst, LLC, located in Atlanta, Georgia. His practice focuses primarily on business divorces, and voting and election law. Mr. Knapp represents individuals, candidates, political parties, members, managers and businesses, resolving disagreements and enforcing rights in the public and private sphere. In recent years, limited liability company disputes and election controversies have grown to constitute the majority of his practice. Mr. Knapp's trial practice in these disciplines form the foundation of his counseling practice in business formation, compensation arraignments and graceful departures. Despite his extensive trial experience, the art of negotiation is his favorite endeavor.
After graduating from Cornell University with a bachelor's degree, Mr. Knapp went on to receive his Juris Doctor from Emory University School of Law in 1980. While in law school, he was awarded the Best Brief Award in the Law Day Competition and served as the Student Bar Association's president. Mr. Knapp is admitted to practice in the state of Georgia.
Asked to share his experience and insight on crisis management and complex commercial litigation strategy, Mr. Knapp is a frequent speaker. In recognition of his record and ethical standards, Martindale-Hubbell has awarded Mr. Knapp its AV-Preeminent* rating.
Dedicated to keeping abreast of developments in his field, Mr. Knapp is an active participant in several professional organizations. He has held several leadership positions with the Lamar American Inn of Court, including President, Master and member of the Executive Committee, as well as with the Eleventh Circuit Historical Society. Mr. Knapp is also a member of the American and Atlanta bar associations, the State Bar of Georgia and the Superior Court of Fulton County Business Court Committee.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 60%Business Litigation
Non-Compete Agreements, Limited Liability Companies, Partnership, Election Campaign & Political Law
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2023
- Top 100: 2018 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2017 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2016 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2015 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2014 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2013 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2012 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2011 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2010 Georgia Super Lawyers
- Top 100: 2009 Georgia Super Lawyers
About Halsey G. Knapp, Jr.
First Admitted: 1980, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.khlawfirm.com/attorneys/halsey-g-knapp-jr/
- Chairperson, Atlanta Bar Associations' Judicial Selection and Tenure Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Atlanta Bar Association, Litigation Section, 1998 - 2001
- Member, Computer Law, Litigation, Corporate, Banking and Business Law Sections, State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia, 1980
- President, Lamar American Inn of Court, 2001 - 2004
- President, Eleventh Circuit Historical Society
- Fulton County Business Court Committee
- Master, Lamar American Inn of Court, 1992 - Present
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Minority Business Development, 1988 - 1990
- Executive Committee, Lawyers Club of Atlanta, 2002 - 2004
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association
- Lamar American Inn of Court, Executive Committee, 2000-2010
- Martindale-Hubbell has awarded Mr. Knapp its AV-Preeminent* Rating
- Received the Best Brief Award in the Law Day Competition
- America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA
- Cornell University, B.A.
- "Suit: Builder not as good as its word." Daily Report
- Gerry Balboni and Halsey Knapp presented “A Holistic Approach to Representing the Client with Compromised Consumer Data” at the Primerus Dallas Regional Meeting. , Speaker, A Holistic Approach to Representing the Client with Compromised Consumer Data, 2016
- Speaker, "Presenting the complex case to the Georgia jury outline", NBI Seminar, Dec. 19, 2000
- "Fox Insurance's $3M Award Over Lost CMS Contract Stands"
- "Power Point in the Courtroom," ICLE Seminar, May 2002 - 2003
- Speaker, Business Divorces and Disputes, Atlanta Bar Litigation and Dispute Resolution Sections-January 9, 2015
- Crisis of the Week: Subway Served With a Pitchman Problem, The Wall Street Journal Risk & Compliance Journal-July 13, 2015
- Amazon Japan's Child Porn Problem, The Wall Street Journal Risk & Compliance Journal-February 2, 2015
- FIFA Shows How Not To Handle an Internal Probe, The Wall Street Journal Risk & Compliance Journal-December 15, 2014
- Evaluating Takata's Airbag Response, The Wall Street Journal Risk & Compliance Journal-November 3, 2014
- Speaker, Data Breach: A Holistic Approach To Representing the Client With Compromised Data, ICLE Cancun Seminar-February 13, 2015
- Speaker, Avoid Being the Next Data Breach Headline, Primerus Business Law Institute Symposium, Fort Worth,Texas-June 11, 2015
- Speaker, LLCs: Time Bombs for Lawyers and Early Stage Entrepreneurs?, Atlanta Bar Litigation Section-February, 2014
- Speaker, Preferences and Peeves in the Trial Courts from Judges and Attorneys, Atlanta Bar Litigation Section-February 20, 2015
- Speaker, Preparing Your Client for A Successful Mediation, Atlanta Bar Litigation and Dispute Resolution Sections-January, 2013
- BKJB Partnership v. Richard Moseman, Civil Action File No. 02-VS-035222; (Judge Brenda Cole, State Court of Fulton County)
- J. Maxwell Technologies, Inc. and William M. Brander v. Maxwell Chase Technologies, LLC and Michael Walsh, Civil Action No. 2007-CV137120 (Judge Fulton County Superior Court)
- Massaro Limited Partnership, (Park West Two.) v. Baker & Taylor, Inc., Civil Action No. 00-1234. (U.S.D.C.W. D. Pa. Judge Gary L. Lancaster)
- Mohegan Tribe Gaming Authority ("MTGA") Claim (2009), Represented an estimating and construction management client in this pre-litigation negotiation
- The Fiderion Group, LLC and Fiderion Financial Services Group, LLC v. Robert J. Gallagher, Jeffrey L. Campbell and ALPHA XS, LLC, Civil Action No. 2008-CV-149324 (Judge John H. Goger, Fulton County Superior Court)
Pro bono/Community Service
- President, Paces Civic Association, 2013
- Emory University, Board of Law Advisors, 2011
- Trinity Presbyterian Church, Chair, Personnel Committee, former Chair and current member of Finance Committee, former Annual Stewartship Co-Chair, Member of several Pastor Nominating Committees
- On behalf of the founders of an architectural, planning and design firm in Shanghai, China, we recently negotiated the buy-out of the remaining founder. Runzhou Zhang, Craig Studer, HZS USA LLC and ZHP, LLC v. Scott Hosteller, In the Business Court of Fulton County., 2014
- Halsey Knapp represented the Board of Directors of the Clairmont Place Condominium Association, Inc., a senior living community, in their journey from embracing a beloved, long-tenured manager to releasing him for cause and then renegotiating downward (by millions of dollars) a pre-existing contract between them., 2018
- In a two day arbitration, Halsey Knapp secured a breach of contract dispute award that included attorneys fees despite admission of the client’s submission of fabricated evidence in unrelated proceeding. (July 2016), 2016
- On behalf of a member/manager, we defeated by summary judgment a claim under Delaware law that he violated his fiduciary duty by fraudulently inducing his fellow member to invest more capital into a failing business venture. Marsala v. Mayo, 2007 WL 3245434 (E.D. La.), 2007
- On behalf of a business owner who retained an independent contractor to provide an on-site essential service on an exclusive basis, we defeated a 15 count complaint based on claims of partnership, joint venture and other forms of shared ownership. Sally E. Nichols et al. v. Kimball Hall Events LLC et al. In the Superior Court of Fulton County, affirmed Kimball Hall Events LLC et al. v. Sally E. Nichols et al., Ga. App. Case No. A13A164 , 2013
- On behalf of a founding member of a very successful software business, we re-established his right to act as a manager of this business after striklng down an amended operating agreement that had replaced him. Charles H. Carroll, III v. Carlos J. Urrutia & Lana Perkins, Arbitration before Judge Gino Brogdon, 2013
Last Updated: 8/29/2022