J. Franklin Burns
Top rated Workers' Compensation attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaJ. Franklin Burns, PC
Practice Areas: Workers' Compensation, Civil Litigation, Employment & Labor; view more
Licensed in Georgia since: 1987
Education: Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law
J. Franklin Burns, PC6100 Lake Forrest Drive
Atlanta, GA 30328-3836 Visit website
J. Franklin Burns, the founder of J. Franklin Burns, P.C., in Atlanta, Georgia, serves a diverse range of clients in the surrounding suburbs. He assists them with various legal matters such as personal injury, employment law, workers’ compensation and general civil litigation.
Obtaining a Bachelor of Arts in political science from The University Of The South in Sewanee, Tennessee, Mr. Burns went on to earn his law degree from the Mercer University School of Law in 1987. The same year, he was licensed to practice in Georgia, the Georgia Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
Maintaining an active presence in the legal community, Mr. Burns is a member of several professional associations, including the:
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Bar Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
He has also been appointed by the chairman of the State Board of Workers' Compensation to serve on the legislative committee of the advisory council.
With more than 35 years of experience, Mr. Burns has recovered substantial amounts in settlements and verdicts for his clients. He began his legal career at an insurance defense law firm, where he gained valuable insight defending large insurance companies and employers in workers' compensation claims across the state of Georgia.
Recognized for his vast knowledge of the law and professionalism, Mr. Burns has been rated “Superb” on Avvo. He has also been peer-review rated as AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. Furthermore, he has published several articles on workers' compensation issues and is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasWorkers' Compensation: Claimant, Civil Litigation: Plaintiff, Employment & Labor: Employee, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Dram Shop Laws, Employment Law - Employee, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 70% Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 10% Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1987, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.jfblaw.com/attorney/burns-j-franklin/
- Super Lawyers Top 100 list, 2011
- Recipient of Super Lawyers, 2009
- Nominated and selected as a member to the Southern Trial Lawyers Association in 2010, Member, Southern Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- B.A., in Political Science, University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee, 1982
- Atlanta Bar Association, 2002
- Rules and Mediation Committee, Member, 2003 to 2010
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2010
- Legislative Committee of the Advisory Counsel, Appointed by the Chairman of the State Board of Workers' Compensation to serve on the Legislative Committee of the Advisory Counsel, 2010
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1988
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Appointed by the Chairman of the Board to serve on the Political Action Committee 2009
- Appointed Co-Chair of Legislative Committee serving the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 2011
- Appointed by Chairman of the State Board of Worker's Compensation to serve on Legislative Committee of the Advisory Council., 2010
- Georgia Trial Association, 2002
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- Appointed by President of Georgia Trial Lawyers Association to serve on Executive Committee of GTLA., 2011
- American Bar Association, 1987
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Appointed by Chairman of Board to serve on Political Action Committee member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 2009
- State Bar of Georgia, 1987
- Statutory and Case Law Update in Workers' Compensation; General Practice Trial Section Institute; Amelia Island, Florida, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, 2008
- Ethics Issues in Workers' Compensation, The Atlanta Claims Association 2008 Seminar; Atlanta, Georgia, 2008
- Workers’ Compensation in Educational Committees, Advanced Workers’ Compensation, Atlanta Bar Association, 02/22/2008
- Advanced Workers' Compensation, Atlanta Bar Association Workers' Compensation Section; Atlanta, Georgia, 2008
- Ethics and Medical Evidence, Advanced Workers’ Compensation in Georgia. Atlanta, Georgia, February 26, 2008
- Assessed Attorney's Fees and Penalties, Employer Pit Falls and Protectors, Sterling Educator Services, Inc.
- State Board of Workers' Compensation Annual Seminar; Atlanta, Georgia, 2007
- Ethically Developing Medical Evidence - When Do You Cross The Line?
- "Workers' Compensation Law in Georgia"
- Henry County Bar Association; Jekyll Island, Georgia, 2005
- Five Most Common Injuries in Workers’ Compensation in Georgia, Lorman Education Services, Atlanta, GA - March, 2005, October, 2003
- "Workers' Compensation Essentials: Ten Most Repeated Mistakes Made by Claimants' Lawyers at the Trial of a Case"
- Workers’ Compensation Hearings in Georgia: Techniques and Strategies, National Business Institute. Atlanta, Georgia. December 17, 2003
- National Business Institute; Atlanta, Georgia, 2003
- "Advanced Workers' Compensation in Georgia", National Business Institute. Atlanta, Georgia, 1997
- Workers’ Compensation for the General Practitioner, ICLE. Atlanta, Georgia 1999
- ICLE; Atlanta, Georgia, 1999
- A Panel discussion on how the System could be made better., Speaker, How to Fix the Worker's Compensation System, Atlanta Bar Association, Worker's Compensation Section, 2009
- Subrogation in the Worker's Compensation System, Speaker, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- Workplace Injuries: Understanding the Worker's Compensation System, Speaker, ICLE in Georgia, 2011
Office location for J. Franklin Burns
6100 Lake Forrest Drive
Atlanta, GA 30328-3836
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2023