Jeffrey M. Smith
Top rated entertainment & sports attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaGreenberg Traurig, LLP
Practice Areas: Entertainment & sports, Professional liability, Securities litigation; view more
Licensed in Georgia since: 1973
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
Greenberg Traurig, LLPTerminus 200
3333 Piedmont Road NE, Suite 2500
Atlanta, GA 30305 Visit website
Jeffrey M. Smith is an attorney and principal shareholder at Greenberg Traurig, LLP. From the firm's Atlanta, Georgia, office, Mr. Smith practices entertainment and securities law, and also handles legal malpractice claims. He represents entertainers, record companies, publishing companies, artists, athletes and other entertainment and media-related clients throughout the greater Atlanta area.
A graduate of the University of Minnesota and the University of Minnesota Law School, Mr. Smith has more than four decades of legal experience. He has authored and co-authored numerous books and dozens of articles on a variety of legal topics, and lectured at several universities and hundreds of seminars and conferences.
His accomplishments have earned Mr. Smith recognition within his profession and a number of awards. He received the rating of AV Preeminent* from the respected peer review service Martindale-Hubbell and was listed in the publication "The Best Lawyers in America." He has also been named one of the top legal malpractice and ethics lawyers by the publication "The American Lawyer" and has been listed in "Who's Who in American Law," "Who's Who in America" and "Who's Who in the World."
Other organizations that have honored Mr. Smith include the National Association of Chinese-Americans, the American Heart Association and the Georgia Association for Retarded Citizens.
Active in professional organizations and his local community, Mr. Smith has volunteered as general counsel for several Georgia organizations and has served on the board of directors for organizations including UNICEF and the Atlanta Community Food Bank. He also volunteered as an English instructor for the Institute of Buddhist Dialectics in India.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
Practice areasEntertainment & sports, Professional liability: defense, Securities litigation, Mergers & acquisitions, Securities & corporate finance
Entertainment, sports & leisure law, Legal malpractice, Securities law
- 40% Entertainment & sports
- 20% Professional liability: defense
- 20% Securities litigation
- 10% Mergers & acquisitions
- 10% Securities & corporate finance
First Admitted: 1973, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.gtlaw.com/en/professionals/s/smith-jeffrey-m
- Represented leading entertainers and entertainment companies, including casinos, themed restaurants and hotels, computer game companies, record companies, and publishing companies in various securities, trademark-licensing and other financial transactions, including joint ventures, in which clients have included: Aerosmith, Jimmy Buffett, Future, Alan Jackson, Michael Jackson Estate, Magic Johnson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Isaac Hayes Estate, Def Leppard, Margaritaville Enterprises, Bob Marley Estate, Bret Michaels, Matt and Dean Serletic, Raine Group, George Strait, Justin Timberlake and Virgin Gaming.
- Mediated and arbitrated in the areas of securities, legal malpractice and accounting malpractice.
- Provided expert witness services in securities and legal malpractice matters for plaintiffs and defendants, including for the FDIC and formerly for the RTC.
- Represented broker-dealers, including Oppenheimer & Co., Inc., FirsTrust (China) and Bear Stearns & Co., Inc.; corporations in securities matters, including General Steel Holdings, Inc. (China), SGOCO Limited (China); and Tri-Tech Holdings, Inc. (China), insurers in securities matters, including Swiss Re and the Travelers; insurers, including Travelers, as well as banks and other companies involving directors and officers liability; law firms and accounting firms, including Deloitte & Touche LLP, in securities, quality control and ethics matters.
- Participated in traditional and nontraditional movie transactions, including: Negotiation of documents for the "Drumline"; Negotiation of the documents for the "Being Bobby Brown" reality television show; and Renting Seaside, Florida to Paramount Pictures for the movie entitled "The Truman Show."
- Represented sports-related individuals and entities, including Magic Johnson, Olympic speed skater Apolo Ohno, ESPN Fantasy Sports Founder Matthew Berry, the National Basketball Association and various entertainers connected with sports, such as naming rights to the Miami Dolphins Stadium for Jimmy Buffett's LandShark Lager.
- The respected Field & Smith treatise continues its traditional role as a clear and accessible working tool for transactional attorneys. It is updated to reflect recent cases and changes in opinion practice, new bar opinion reports, and insurance and risk management trends. In each area, aids are provided that were specifically designed to facilitate finding answers to opinion questions quickly., Co-Author, Legal Opinions in Business Transactions, Fourth Edition, The American Bar Association
- University of Malaya, 1967
- University of Minnesota, 1970
- , Lawyer of the Year, Legal Malpractice Law-Plaintiffs, Atlanta, 2020
- , Listed, Georgia Trend magazine, "Legal Elite", 2016
- , Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Georgia Super Lawyers, Securities Law
- , Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants; Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- , Listed, Who's Who in American Law
- , Listed, Who's Who in the World
- , Listed, Who's Who in America
- Member, Consultative Group, American Law Institute, Restatement of the Law-The Law Governing Lawyers, 2021
- Appointed Chairperson, Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Professionalism, Ethics and Malpractice Seminar,, 2021
- Appointed, State Bar of Georgia Continuing Lawyer Competency Commission, 2021
- Pro Bono Arbitrator, State Bar of Georgia, 2021
- Pro Bono General Counsel, Atlanta Community Food Bank, 2009
- Pro Bono General Counsel, National Association of Chinese Americans, 2021
- Sole Financial Sponsor, Harvard Thai Studies Lecture Series, named in honor of former Harvard Professor, Stanley J. Tambiah, 2013
Office location for Jeffrey M. Smith
3333 Piedmont Road NE, Suite 2500
Atlanta, GA 30305
- Super Lawyers: 2004, 2006, 2009 - 2019
Additional sources of information about Jeffrey M. Smith
Find me online
- [email protected]_Law won the Deal of the Year recognition from @theMAAdvisor in two categories – Distressed… https://t.co/0aVr0AX4bC
- In this Data Privacy Dish blog post, David Zetoony addresses if under the CCPA, can a service provider use personal… https://t.co/bwhhfDIT1l
- Shareholder Ryan W. Smith was featured in a PBS NewsHour segment titled “How Iraq war still impacts lives of Americ… https://t.co/onC6G0Omxi