Top rated Family Law attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaHeredia Family Law
Jon Hedgepeth is an accomplished attorney who develops personal relationships with families to help them overcome their legal hurdles. As a partner at the law firm of Hedgepeth | Heredia Family Law, LLC, he assists clients across Atlanta and throughout Georgia in all areas of family law.
With over three decades of experience, Mr. Hedgepeth takes a collaborative approach to resolve legal disputes outside the courtroom but is always ready to represent his clients’ interests in a trial. Clients rely on his services in matters related to divorce, spousal and child support, adoptions, paternity disputes, property division, marital agreements, family violence and post-judgment modifications.
Fluent in English and French, Mr. Hedgepeth obtained his Juris Doctor in 1991 from the Mercer University - Walter F. George School of Law after completing his Bachelor of Arts from the Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia, in 1987. He was licensed to practice in Georgia in 1991 and is also qualified to appear before the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Superior Court of Georgia.
Professionally engaged in several legal organizations, Mr. Hedgepeth is a member of the Collaborative Law Institute of Georgia, Old War Horse Lawyers Club and the Lawyers Club of Atlanta. He is the former president of the Atlanta Bar Association Family Law Section.
A certified collaborative law professional, Mr. Hedgepeth was honored with numerous awards and accolades. He was listed in the Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite list, the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America and the Top 100 Lawyers list by Worth magazine. He holds an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell and a “Superb” client rating on Avvo.
A talented and thoughtful writer, Mr. Hedgepeth is the author of a number of scholarly articles and blogs. When not advocating for the rights of his clients, he volunteers his time to provide pro bono legal services. He is a part of the 1000 Lawyers for Justice and the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. He was recognized by the State Bar of Georgia for his services to the underprivileged.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1991, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.hhfamilylaw.com/jon-hedgepeth/
- Served as an expert witness in Washington, D.C. for a case regarding the interpretation of a prenuptial agreement involving a billion dollar estate.
- "Prenuptial Agreements", National Business Institute Seminar on Domestic Law in Georgia, 2003 "Income Tax Planning Considerations", NBI Seminar on Domestic Law in Georgia, 2004, Determining and Dividing Marital Assets, NBI Seminar on Domestic Law in Georgia, 2005 Premarital Agreements and Divorce Procedure, NBI Seminar on Domestic Law in Georgia, 2005; Navigating Complex Asset Cases, NBI Seminar on Advanced Family Law, April 2010, Speaker, Advanced Family Law, National Business Institute
- Same Sex Marriage: Supreme Court Ruling Brings Right to Marry, Divorce, Create Prenuptial Agreements and More..., Author, 2015
- Twas the Night Before Christmas-So Who's Got the Kids?, Author, 2015
- The January Effect: Start of New Year is the Busy Time for Divorce, Author, 2015
- Who Gets the House? Real Estate and Family Law, Author, 2015
- Authored article concerning the uptick in divorce filings after the New Year, and appeared on radio and television regarding same, Author, The January Effect: Start of New Year is the Busy Time for Divorce Filings, HHR Blog, 2017
- Lawyer's Club of Atlanta
- Past President of the Atlanta Bar Association Family Law Section
- Member, Georgia Bar Family Law Section
- Board of Governors, Atlanta Bar Association Family Law Section, President, 2010-2011
- Master, Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inns of Court, 2008
- President, Atlanta Bar Association, Family Division Board of Governors, 2010
- Bachelor of Arts Degree from Washington & Lee University, Lexington, VA, 1987
- Certified Collaborative Law Practitioner, 2004
- Member of the Collaborative Law Institute of Georgia, 2004
- Numerous NFL professional football players and NBA players represented as well as many high profile members of the business community throughout Georgia, 2007
- Legal Elite, Georgia Trend Magazine, 2008
- Super Lawyer, Atlanta Magazine, 2014
- Top 100 Lawyers, Worth Magazine, 2002
- Appeared in The Atlanta Business Chronicle's "People on the Move", People on the Move, Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2017
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite-Best Lawyers in Atlanta, Appeared in the 2009, 2012 and 2013 Georgia Trend Legal Elite-Best Lawyers in Atlanta, 2012
- Serves on the Atlanta Bar Foundation Law Jam Committee since its inception, 2011
- Recognized for outstanding public service in providing legal representation for low income citizens of Georgia from the State Bar of Georgia, 2007
- 1000 Lawyers for Justice
- Selected in Best Lawyers in America publication for 2021, 2022 and 2023. , 2021
- Listed in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- Listed as an authority on prenuptial agreements in Georgia in Dove v. Dove, 258 GA. 647, 2009
- Member, Atlanta Bar Foundation Board of Governors, 2023
Office location for Jonathan Hedgepeth
3330 Cumberland Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30339