Larry A. Pankey
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Atlanta, GA
- Free Consultation
Larry A. Pankey is a founding partner of Pankey & Horlock, LLC, in Atlanta, Georgia, where he handles civil rights litigation, employment discrimination, business litigation, and personal injury. With more than 28 years of experience, Mr. Pankey has verdicts in multiple states in both federal and state courts.
Mr. Pankey received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia and then earned his Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law. In 1992, he was admitted to practice law before Georgia state courts, and he is also licensed to appear before courts in Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. During Mr. Pankey's career, he has obtained multiple verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million. He represented SouthStar Funding against First Superior Mortgage Corp in a case concerning mortgage fraud. In another case against SouthStar Funding's former closing attorney alleging legal malpractice, violations of the federal RICO Act, and fraud, he secured a verdict in excess of $1 million. Mr. Pankey has also represented clients in numerous employment discrimination and civil rights cases, including the wrongful termination of an HIV-positive individual against Home Depot and a race discrimination case on behalf of a contingent of African-American plaintiffs against a prominent automotive dealer.
Due to Mr. Pankey's impressive case record, he has attained membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and he was also inducted into The National Trial Lawyers' Top 100 Trial Lawyers. As a former adjunct professor of law at John Marshall Law School, he taught classes in civil procedure, employment discrimination, ethics, jurisprudence, and constitutional law. He has also appeared as a speaker at multiple events, including the Real Property Law Institute's annual convention and the 7th Annual Labor and Employment Law seminar.
- 30%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20%Business Litigation
- 20%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Rights
- 10%General Litigation
Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Labor Law, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Police Misconduct, Discrimination, Litigation
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2015, 2020 - 2022
About Larry A. Pankey
First Admitted: 1992, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://gaemploymentrights.com/index.aspx
- Member, Georgia Bar, 1992
- District of Columbia, 1995
- DeKalb County Bar Association, Secretary
- Massachusetts, 1994
- University of Georgia, B.A. in History (Greek and Medieval Philosophy), 1989
- Speaker, Real Property Law Institute's Annual Convention and Presented on How to Litigate a Mortgage Fraud Case Through Trial., Speaker & Presenter, Mortgage Fraud & Related Litigation Issues: To Catch a Lawyer, 29th Annual Real Property Law Institute, 2007
- John Marshall Law School in Atlanta as an Adjunct Professor teaching courses in Employment Discrimination, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Ethics, Jurisprudence and others., Adjunct Professor, John Marshall Law School
- Speaker, 7th Annual Labor & Employment Law Seminar in Atlanta, Georgia on Legal Ethics and Employment Law, 2010
- Panelist, The Seminar Group, 2010
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Coach of the Year: Born 2 Compete named Mr. Pankey its Coach of the Year after coaching the 11U Atlanta Colts to the 2011 North Metro Football League Championship. , 2011
- Participated as a Mentor to a young attorney to help in her career as a Labor and Employment lawyer., Mentor, Labor and Employment Section, State Bar of Georgia, 2017
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the State of Georgia, American Association for Justice, 2009 to Present, The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, https://thenationaltriallawyers.org/, 2021
- Since 1998, Larry Pankey qualified for the Million Dollar Advocates Forum by reaching a settlement or verdict in excess of one million dollars on behalf of an individual client., Million Dollar Advocates Forum, https://www.milliondollaradvocates.com/, 2021
- Represented Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) for unpaid overtime despite residential living community's bona fide executive capacity defense. Survived summary judgment despite client making for that $800 a week and a manager title and responsibilities. The court recognized that the residential living community failed to carry its burden of producing clear and affirmative evidence establishing that her primary duty was management, as opposed to her non-managerial work providing direct nursing care to residents. Case settled before trial., 2018
- Represented former legal secretary against her former law firm for unpaid overtime. The client was on salary and listed as exempt with both college and advanced training. Case settled prior to trial., 2019
- Represented former female dancer for Title VII sexual harassment and retaliation against local gentlemen's club. Successfully survived summary judgment on Plaintiff's claims for a sexually hostile work environment as well as retaliation for her protesting the work atmosphere. Case settled prior to trial. , 2018
- Represented a large group of African American Plaintiffs against Willett Automotive Group and Dwaine Willett for race discrimination., 1997
- Represented estate of a nurse following multi-car collision. Successfully appealed scope of employment issue to TN Supreme Court for employee's use of company vehicle despite also being on personal business. Case settled prior to trial., 2021
- Represented estate in a wrongful death action against at-fault driver following head-on collision and fire engulfing decedent's car. Additionally, pursued Dram Shop action against restaurant and tavern for violating liquor liability laws., 2004
- Represented widow on her spouse's life insurance policy for bad faith denial of life insurance coverage following a catastrophic automobile accident. Prevailed at summary judgment and resolved following a successful mediation., 2007
- $250,000 verdict for the former owner of a Nail Salon & Spa against partner for breach of both partnership and contract., 2018
- Represented HIV-positive, former employee against Home Depot under the ADA over his termination. Sanger v. Home Depot, N.D. GA (1:03-cv-2608-WSD).
- Represented estate of deceased against DeKalb County, GA for wrongful death and 4th amendment excessive use of force. Randolph, et al., v. County of DeKalb, et al., N.D. of Ga. (1:94-CV-03272-CAM).
- Represented Muslim employee against employer for failure to allow religious headscarf at work. Yamini v. Compass Market Research, N.D. of Ga. (1:96-CV-02948-CC).
- Successfully defended Bosnia House against breach of contract claims in excess of $1,650,000. Claims dismissed on summary judgment. Bajrovic v. Bosnia House, et al., W.D of KY. (3:04-CV-00453).
- Represented pregnant, employee against former employer for pregnancy discrimination. Successfully defended client against summary judgment after discovery, depositions and summary judgment. The Court held that, despite Plaintiff's failure to present a non-pregnant comparator to her alleged insuboordination, she successfully presented a "convincing mosaic" of circumstantial evidence of preganancy discrimination. Nowalk v. The Roof Depot, Inc., N.D. of Ga. (1:13-CV-01458-AT-ECS) (Doc. 59)., 2015
- Represented Carol Faubert, a former Vice President of Human Resources, against the Atlanta Falcons and Arthur Blank for sex discrimination and retaliation.
- Represented Southstar Funding against its former closing attorney, Victoria Sprouse for legal malpractice, fraud and Federal RICO violations surrounding a mortgage fraud scheme in Charlotte, NC. Jury returned verdict for $150,000 in actual damages and $1,000,000 in punitive damages along with costs and attorneys fees. Southstar Funding, LLC v. Sprouse, W.D. of NC (3:05-CV-253-W).
- Represented inmate against Prison Health Services and Gwinnett County, Georgia for denial of medical care and 8th amendment cruel and unusual punishment. Ingerson v. Prison Health Services, et al., N.D. of Ga. (1:93-cv-02890-RCF).
- Represented shooting victim against off duty Atlanta police officer for negligence and Section 1983 4th amendment violations. Crawford, et al., v. Atlanta, Georgia et al., 1:96-CV-01850-CAM).
- Represented epileptic employee agsinst former employer for disability discrimination. Reardon v. California Pizza Kitchen, N.D. of Ga. (1:99-CV-02120-JTC).
- In a 2015 FLSA trial, Mr. Pankey represented Maria Porter against Sterling Online Processing Services for unpaid overtime in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. After 2.5 years of litigation, two Rule 11 letters, and motions to dismiss and summary judgment from the Defendant, Plaintiff prevailed on her unpaid overtime claim in the amount of $651.56, with an equal amount for liquidated damages, and Defendant appealed to the 11th Circuit. After trial, Plaintiff filed her attorney's fees petition in the amount of $74,785.10. Porter v. Sterling Online, N.D. of Ga. (1:11-cv-3536-SCJ)., 2015
- Represented a nation-wide group of business managers in a collective action against Comp USA for misclassifying their exempt status and recovering unpaid overtime. Taylor, et al., v. CompUSA, Inc., N.D. of Ga. (1:04-CV-00718-WBH); Rucker et al. v. CompUSA, Inc., N.D. of Ga. (1:05-CV-00144-ODE).
- Represented estate of deceased in wrongful death action and Section 1983 claims against Baldwin County, Georgia for police officer's driving at high rate of speed, no emergency situation, no lights which resulted in collision. Parham v. Baldwin County, GA, M.D. of GA (1:00-cv-03090-HTW).
- Represented estate of deceased against USA for wrongful death claims under the Federal Tort Claims Act. Sims, et al., v. USA, et al., N.D. of Ga. (1:96-cv-00808-RCF).
- Represented Type II Diabetes correctional officer against his employer for their failure to promote and written policy disallowing promotion of diabetic employees. Mitchell v. City of Atlanta, (1:99-CV-01859-JTC).
- Represented Southstar Funding against First Superior Mortgage Corp and Lionel Rhodes for breach of contract, and fraud surrounding a mortgage fraud scheme in Raleigh, NC. Jury returned verdict for $237,245.80 in actual damages and $1,500,000 in punitive damages along with costs and attorneys fees. Southstar Funding, LLC v. Rhodes, et al, E.D. of NC (5:04-CV-858-BR).
Pro bono/Community Service
- Dunwoody High School Lacrosse Board (President & Vice President): 2018 to present., 2021
- Legal Advisor, FOSER (Friends of Little League Southeastern Region)
- DeKalb County Volunteer Lawyers
- All Saints Catholic Church, (Basketball Coach)
- Dunwoody High School Gridiron Club (President): 2016 to present., 2021
- Mentor, State Bar of Georgia and NELA Labor and Employment Mentorship Program, 2016
- Dunwoody HS Wrestling Club (President): 2017 to present., 2021
- Murphey Candler Little League, (Baseball Coach)
- Vanderlyn Elementary, (Chess Coach)
- 10,000 Lawyers for Justice (Atlanta Bar Assoc.), 1993
- Atlanta Youth Lacrosse ( Coach)
- Atlanta Colt Football Youth Association, (Football Coach, Inter League Director and Atlanta Colts D1 Director)
- Dunwoody Baptist Church, (T-Ball, Soccer and Basketball Coach)
Last Updated: 5/31/2022