Lea C. Dearing
Top rated business litigation attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaBerman Fink Van Horn P.C.
Lea Dearing brings business sense to business disputes. A Shareholder at Berman Fink Van Horn, Lea counsels companies regarding disputes that arise in every day operations. Lea has experience assisting businesses with a wide range of issues, including internal investigations, employment matters, real estate disputes and construction related claims. While she prides herself on finding ways to keep her clients out of the courtroom, when needed, she also offers her clients a sound strategy to prevail at trial. Her creative problem solving is also integral to her transactional practice, which includes experience ranging from negotiating terms and conditions and transportation contracts to reviewing employment manuals and contracts.
Lea is a summa cum laude graduate of Texas Wesleyan University School of Law and received her Bachelor of Arts in International Business from University of Georgia. A recipient of the Super Lawyers Rising Star award, Lea has also held several leadership positions within the Dallas Bar Association and Attorneys Serving the Community.
In her spare time, family and horses are Lea’s passion. She is a member of the Arabian Horse Association and the United States Equestrian Federation. Lea and her husband have two children.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Real estate: business, E-discovery, Employment litigation: defense
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Employment law - employer
- 50% Business litigation
- 30% Real estate: business
- 10% E-discovery
- 10% Employment litigation: defense
First Admitted: 2006, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.bfvlaw.com/attorney/lea-c-dearing/
- Obtained complete defense verdict in transportation lawsuit brought against a broker after shipper’s goods were stolen in transit. Affirmed on appeal (2010).
- Resolved multiple payment, construction and employment related disputes across the pharmaceutical, hospitality, construction, transportation, telecommunication, manufacturing, wholesale, health care, education, energy and banking industries.
- Successfully sought mandamus relief from Court of Appeals and protected corpus of spendthrift trust from invasion to pay attorneys fees in a divorce proceeding (2008).
- Successfully appealed trial court’s denial of a developer’s Motion to Compel Arbitration in a construction dispute (2009).
- Successfully appealed trial court’s denial of a contractor’s Motion to Compel Arbitration of extra-contractual claims in a construction dispute (2009).
- Successfully resolved mass action brought by trade school’s former students based on false advertising allegations (2009).
- Successfully defended a cutting edge start-up in the healthcare sector from claims by major healthcare network that it hired a former employee in violation of a non-compete and trade secrets agreement (2011).
- Obtained favorable arbitration verdict for medical provider on construction defect claims in the renovation of a medical facility (2012).
- Successfully appealed erroneous verdict in constitutional takings claim, having all claims reinstated and the case remanded for new findings by the trial court (2013).
- Obtained complete defense verdict for lumber company in employment discrimination lawsuit brought by employee who had been terminated (2014).
- Successfully developed and deployed effective strategies in litigation matters and internal investigations to deal with the increasing complexity and costs of preserving, collecting and producing electronic media. (2009 – current).
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star 2016 - present.
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2013 – 2015
- B.A., International Business, University of Georgia, 2003
- Arabian Horse Association
- Atlanta Ronald McDonald House Charities (2017 – 2018)
- Attorneys Serving the Community,VIP Silent Auction Committee, Past Co-Chair, 2008 - 2014
- United States Eventing Association
- Attorneys Serving the Community, Invitations Committee, Co-Chair, 2008 - 2014
- United States Equestrian Federation
- Texas, 2006
- Industrial Leadership Council, 2019 - present
- Dallas Bar Association, Business Litigation Section, 2006 - 2014
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 2006 - 2014
- United States District Court, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Litigation Section, 2006 - 2014
- Dallas Bar Association, Summer Law Intern Program, Co-Chair, 2006 - 2014
- Higginbotham American Inn of Court, 2007 - 2008
- Georgia, 2014
- Dallas Bar Association, Headnotes Publication, Co-Chair, 2006 - 2014
- William “Mac” Taylor American Inn of Court, 2010 - 2014
- In April 2021, Lea was a featured speaker on a BFV "Office Hours" webinar, "What’s Next? Top Considerations to Grow your Business after the Digital Pivot.", 2021
- In December 2020, Lea moderated a BFV Virtual Roundtable to address employment, real estate, noncompete/unfair competition and mergers and acquisitions topics., 2020
- In September 2020, Lea participated in a panel, “Forensics and Artificial Intelligence in Trade Secret Protection and Litigation/Ethics in Trade Secret Investigations and Litigation” at the AIPLA 2020 Trade Secret Law Summit., 2020
- In August 2020, Lea participated on a SullivanStrickler webinar of forensic industry experts titled "Modern Complexities of Mobile Device Preservation.", 2020
- In February 2020, Lea moderated a BFV Breakfast Briefing, "Unlock the Business Benefits of Recruiting & Retaining Diverse Employees.", 2020
- In January 2020, Lea co-presented, “Forensic Analysis: I Suspect Theft of Proprietary Information, What Do I Do Now?” at the ICLE: State Bar of Georgia Series seminar “Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets in Georgia.”
- In November 2019, Lea presented "How to Get Your Social Media, Email and Text Evidence Admitted" at the National Business Institute seminar.
- In August 2019, Lea presented “Handling Email, Social Media and other ESI” and “Ethical Considerations” at a National Business Institute continuing legal education seminar, “The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit.”
- In July 2018, Lea presented “I Suspect Trade Secret Theft. What Do I Do Now?” to members of State Bar of Georgia.
- In April 2018, Lea presented “Protecting your Business in the Wake of #MeToo” to HR Council members of Georgia Credit Union Affiliates.
- In October 2017, Lea presented “Family Law & Forensics: Time for a Modern Day Tune Up?” to family law attorneys. Click here to see highlights.
- In June 2017, Lea presented “Avoiding Common Pitfalls in Hiring and Firing Employees” to business owners, operators and managers.
- Lea participiated in a National Institute (NBI) seminar, "The Rules of Evidence: A Practical Toolkit (A real-world application of evidence to courtroom events)." Lea addressed witness testimony and reports and how to handle email, social media and other ESI, April, 2017
- “Top Five Tips for Using Forensics to Win the Case,” Daily Report, 2017, 2017
Office location for Lea C. Dearing
3475 Piedmont Road Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30305
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2013 - 2014, 2016 - 2021
Find me online
- We always love to host the Emory Entrepreneur Network and today was no exception. Today featured Dr. Klaas Baks, a… https://t.co/JBLrFgJKwW
- @BenjaminFink is speaking on Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants. Ben will provide a Legislative Update @ AIPLA… https://t.co/JFtHZJbU5n
- If an employee was able to successfully work remotely during the pandemic, is on-site work post-pandemic essential?… https://t.co/SncNwi1g06