Louis R. Cohan
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaCohan Law Group
Attorney Louis R. Cohan is the founder of the Cohan Law Group in Atlanta, Georgia, and he has litigated more than $850 million in claims. He focuses his law practice in the areas of business litigation, including disputes over business divorces, real estate, breach of contract, fraud, fraudulent and voidable transfers, fiduciary duty breaches, business torts, ownership and restructuring disputes, business breakups, business disputes arising from high net worth divorces, and intellectual property infringement cases. With more than 30 years of experience in the law, he has litigated hundreds of cases in both state and federal courts, including arguing in front of the Georgia Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.
Prior to pursuing his career in law, Mr. Cohan earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia, worked for several years as a stockbroker, and started, built and sold a retail business. Mr. Cohan later attended the Emory University School of Law, located in Atlanta, where he was recognized for his outstanding oral argument skills. He graduated in 1991 and was admitted to practice law in Georgia the same year.
Prior to founding the Cohan Law Group, Mr. Cohan practiced for 18 years with another Atlanta-area full-service law firm, handling a wide range of cases in business law, including breach of contract claims, disputes over employment, trade secrets, zoning, real estate issues and more.
Mr. Cohan's accomplishments have earned him respect within the legal profession. Among other honors he has received, Martindale-Hubbell's highest AV Preeminent rating. Mr. Cohan has been selected by his peers many times as a Super Lawyer. Louis has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, and has also been selected to America's Top 100 Attorneys.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Cohan is also a member of a number of professional and community organizations. He is Immediate past Chair for the Atlanta Bar Foundation and he is past Chair for the Atlanta Bar Litigation Section and for the Small Firm Section. Mr. Cohan is an active member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and is a member of Mensa International, an organization for high-IQ individuals.
* AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation
- 80% Business Litigation
- 20% Intellectual Property Litigation
First Admitted: 1991, Georgia
Professional Webpage: http://www.cohanlawgroup.com/our-team/louis-cohan-attorney
- The Atlanta Bar Association, through its charitable Foundation grants money to many worthy organizations including the Police Scholarship Fund, the Summer Law Internship Program, and the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyer's Foundation.
- Anti Defamation League, Board of Directors
- Atanta Bar Foundation Immediate Past Chair
- MENSA, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- , MENSA - the High IQ Society, https://www.mensa.org
- Douglas L. Peabody Best Oralist award
- , Best Lawyers in America (Labor and Employment), https://www.bestlawyers.com/Search?query=Louis%20R.%20Cohan
- National Leadership Development Counsel, Nominated
- Georgia Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite
- America's Top 100 Attorneys
- , A/V Rating from Martindale Hubbel, https://www.martindale.com/attorney/louis-r-cohan-867973/
- University of Georgia, B.S. Finance, 1985
- Emory School of Law, J.D., 1991
- A Fulton County jury awarded our client actual damages for negligent construction of his swimming pool., 2022
- Most of the US music industry sued our client for copyright infringement.
- In this Federal Court case, Plaintiff, a California company, sought $7 million or more in actual and punitive damages, fees, and costs from our client in this breach of contract/fraud/business tort case. At the conclusion of the Plaintiff's evidence, the Judge directed a verdict for our client on all of the Plaintiff's claims. Thereafter, the parties settled for mutual dismissals and releases., 2022
- Plaintiff sought millions in actual and punitive damages, attorney fees and costs from our client. After a trial, the Fulton County jury awarded to our client property with an approximate value of $100,000, and awarded to the plaintiff a mere $51,000.00., 2022
- On March 2, 2018, following a jury trial in Fulton County Superior Court, the Court entered a Final Judgment for our client totalling $2,254,579.00 plus post judgment interest., 2018
- On July 13, 2018, the Superior Court of Fulton County entered a Final Judgment for our client in the amount of $612,324.19 plus post-judgment interest., 2018
Office location for Louis R. Cohan
3340 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30326
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2024