Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaDeLong, Caldwell, Bridgers, Fitzpatrick & Benjamin, LLC
Practice Areas: Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation, Civil Rights; view more
Licensed in Georgia since: 1979
Michael Caldwell is a founding partner at DeLong, Caldwell, Bridgers, Fitzpatrick & Benjamin LLC in Atlanta, Georgia. Focusing his practice exclusively on labor and employment law matters for 50 years, he represents both plaintiffs and defendants, employers, executives, and employees. He has been a member of the Georgia Bar since 1978. Engaged in private law practice since 1976 with firms in the District of Columbia and Georgia, his career began as counsel in the Advice Division of the General Counsel’s office and as a trial attorney for the National Labor Relations Board. Mr. Caldwell also is an arbitrator, mediator, and personnel hearing officer for numerous municipalities.
Mr. Caldwell’s client base is diverse. It encompasses both domestic and multinational companies, municipalities, executives, and individual employees. His broad experience includes every aspect of the employment relationship, including in cases arising under both federal and state laws, employment contract claims, unlawful discrimination, wage and hour issues, unfair labor practice cases, union organizing campaigns, prosecution and defense of wrongful termination and retaliation claims, trade secrets and other types of intellectual property misappropriation and infringement and employee benefits disputes. Mr. Caldwell prepares, reviews, and litigates severance and employment agreements on behalf of employers and employees.
Mr. Caldwell also furnishes general human resources management law advice and counsel to companies, municipalities, executives, and individuals on matters involving litigation risk management and regulatory compliance, including management training on such issues. He created and teaches courses on human resources management and law as an adjunct instructor at the Law Enforcement Command College of Columbus State University and has taught as an adjunct professor of Human Resources Law and Ethics at the Beebe Institute of Personnel and Human Resources Georgia State University’s Robinson College of Business and as a guest lecturer at various universities and professional and business organizations.
He was elected Chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, is a member of both the state and Atlanta Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Sections, and of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA).
Michael served as General Counsel of the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police for 28 years and was appointed Parliamentarian and an Executive Board Member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). He continues serving as General Counsel for the Georgia Chapter of the FBI National Academy Associates.
He is a member of the Board of Ethics of the City of Dunwoody, Georgia. His reputation for professionalism and high ethical standards has earned him recognition from his peers, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Caldwell obtained his undergraduate degree cum laude and his legal education at The Catholic University of America, graduating in 1971from its Columbus School of Law. He served simultaneously as an editor of the Catholic University Law Review and Student Director of its Columbus Community Legal Services Office.
Besides the Bars of Georgia and Maryland, Michael is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and numerous federal trial and appellate courts, including the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Georgia, the Eastern District of Virginia, the District of Maryland, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 11th, and District of Columbia Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished, and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license under the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell®’s Peer Review Rating™ falls into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employer, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff, Civil Rights, Employee Benefits, Employment Litigation: Defense
Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law - Employee, Employment Law - Employer, Labor Law, Retaliation, Sexual Harassment, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
First Admitted: 1972, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://georgiawagelawyers.com/attorney/michael-a-caldwell/
- , What is Considered Harassment at Work?
- , Employment What elements of a Hostile Work Environment Claim?
- , When are Employers Required to Pay Overtime?
- , What is a non-compete agreement?
- , What is Considered Workplace Discrimination?
- , What is the FMLA?
- , What is “at will” Employment?
- , How Much Time Maternity or Paternity Leave?
- , 8 Ways Employers Try To Avoid Paying Overtime?
- Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police; FBI National Academy Associates; Cities of Forest Park, LaGrange, Dalton, Riverdale, Doraville, Hapeville; Navigant Consulting; SecureWorks Inc; VanTuyl Auto Investment Group (a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.)
- TDK Corporation of America; Epcos Inc. Entersekt, Inc.; Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, Inc. (General Counsel); FBI National Academy Associates;
- Scott v. Harris, 127 S.Ct. 1769, 167 L.Ed.2d 686, 75 USLW 4297, 07, 2006 WL3693417 (Amicus Curiae Brief for Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, Inc.), 2006
- Parliamentarian for the International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Vice Chair, State Bar of Georgia, Staff Compensation Committee
- Staff and Trial Attorney National Labor Relations Board
- National Arbitration Forum
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Districts of Georgia, District of Maryland, District of Columbia, Eastern District of Virginia and the Northern District of Florida
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia, Federal Courts Liaison Committee
- Hearing Officer, Georgia Professional Standards Commission
- National Arbitration and Mediation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fifth, Eleventh and D.C. Circuits
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia, Labor and Employment Section
- District of Columbia Bar
- Panel of Arbitrators, American Arbitration Association
- Maryland, 1972
- Chair, State Bar of Georgia Labor and Employment Law Section., 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Atlanta, Georgia State, and Federal Bar Associations
- “Top Attorneys' in Georgia” Atlanta Magazine
- Peer Rated AV Preeminent Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory for 20+ years
- “Legal Elite”, Employment Law, Georgia Trend Magazine
- Editor Catholic University Law Review, 1971
- Honorary Life Member, Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police
- Author: "Community Defense of Union-Free Status", Mercer Univ. L. Rev.
- Adjunct professor of Human Resources Management and Law at the Law Enforcement Command College of Columbus State University
- Adjunct Professor, Human Resources Law and Ethics, Georgia State University Graduate School of Business
- Editor, Catholic University Law Review
- Founder and Board Member, St. Thomas More Society
- Catholic University of America, B.A., cum laude, 1968
- And Individuals
- Automobile Dealers
- Health Care
- Information Technology
- International and Domestic Corporations
- Municipal Governments
Office location for Michael Caldwell
101 Marietta Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2024