Theodore S. (Ted) Eittreim
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Atlanta, GA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2012
Theodore S. Eittreim is a partner with the law firm of Eittreim Martin Cutler, LLC, in Atlanta, Georgia. Serving families throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area and all across the state, Mr. Eittreim is fully committed to helping his clients achieve the best results possible for their legal challenges involving divorce, child custody and support, property division, alimony, contempt and modification actions, and all other family law-related matters.
An award-winning attorney with over 20 years of legal experience, and a Fellow of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Mr. Eittreim has devoted his practice exclusively to family law since 2003. During that time, he has helped hundreds of clients with their complex needs, delivering innovative, customized solutions for their highly contested issues involving high-asset distribution, custody determinations, parenting rights and more. In addition to high-asset and high-conflict divorce cases, Mr. Eittreim's practice also involves handling other family law matters including initial custody and parenting time determinations through paternity and legitimation actions, post-judgment matters such as contempt, modification actions and appeals, as well as the negotiation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Mr. Eittreim grew up in Rumson, New Jersey, a small community on the New Jersey Shore. After graduating from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Arts in history in 1995, Mr. Eittreim relocated to Atlanta and attended Emory University School of Law, obtaining his Juris Doctor in 1998.
That same year, he received his license to practice from the State Bar of Georgia. Keeping his ties to New Jersey, he also received his license to practice from the New Jersey State Bar Association in 1998.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Eittreim is an officer, and current Vice Chair of the Executive Committee of the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and he was previously the Editor of the Family Law Review, the quarterly publication produced by the Family Law Section of the State Bar. He is a member of numerous professional legal organizations, including the family law sections of both the Atlanta Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He is a member of the Lawyers Club of Atlanta, and he also serves as a Barrister, Program Coordinator, and on the Executive Committee of the Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court. Well-versed in his practice area, he also serves on the adjunct legal faculty at Emory University School of Law, teaching the Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques, one of the most rigorous and highly-regarded trial skills programs offered or required by any law school.
Recognized for his impeccable professionalism and outstanding legal service, Mr. Eittreim has an AV Preeminent peer review rating* for ethics and legal abilities from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating possible, as well as a perfect rating from Avvo. He is a Fellow in the American Bar Foundation, an honor extended to less than one percent of lawyers nationwide, and he has been named as one of the Best Lawyers in America since 2018 by Best Lawyers, who also named him the "Family Lawyer of the Year" for Atlanta in 2020. In addition, the National Association of Distinguished Counsel has named him among the Nation's Top One Percent every year since 2015, and Georgia Trend magazine voted him as one of the state's "Legal Elite" in 2016.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2012
Certificates and Credentials
About Theodore S. (Ted) Eittreim
First Admitted: 1998, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.emcfamilylaw.com/attorneys/theodore-eittreim/
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2014 – 2022, Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Super Lawyer for State of Georgia, 2020 - 2022, Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers, 2018 - 2022, Best Lawyers
- 2020 Lawyer of the Year for Family Law in Atlanta,, Best Lawyers
- Rated "AV - Preeminent", highest possible rating, 2014 - present, Martindale-Hubble
- Rated a perfect 10 out of 10 “Superb” on Avvo.com
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, “Top One Percent” Award, 2015 – present, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Georgia Trend’s “Legal Elite,” 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyer “Rising Star,” 2012
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Executive Committee, Vice Chairperson, Family Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia
- Faculty, Emory University School of Law, Kessler-Eidson Program for Trial Techniques
- Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court, Barrister, Executive Committee Member, Program Coordinator
- State Bar of Georgia
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- Atlanta Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer, Georgia Child Support Worksheet Helpline
- University of Virginia, 1995
- Ethics Hour, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Georgia Chapter, Family Law Seminar, Speaker and Author, with Paula J. Frederick, General Counsel of the State Bar of Georgia, December 10, 2021
- Nuts & Bolts of Family Law, Chairperson, February 25, 2021
- Domestic Relations Considerations for the Trusts and Estates Practitioner: A Primer for Preventing Pitfalls in the Divorce Law World, Atlanta Bar Association, Speaker and Author, November 18, 2020
- 26th Annual John C. Mayoue Family Law Seminar on Professionalism, Chair and Moderator, February 13, 2020
- Don't Get Burned By Your Boilerplate!, AAML Georgia Chapter Family Law Seminar, Speaker and Author, December 13, 2019
- Blade Running: Tips on How to Effectively Manage Your Clients Without Driving Them Away, Nuts and Bolts of Family Law, Speaker and Author, September 19, 2019
- A View From the Bench - Current Topics in Family Law, State Bar of Georgia Midyear Meeting, Chair and Moderator, Macon, Georgia, January 10, 2019
- Alimony Factors in Georgia and Reform Efforts Beyond: Is Discretion Really the Better Part of Valor?, Nuts and Bolts of Family Law, Savannah, Georgia, and Atlanta, Georgia, Speaker and Author, August 17 and September 27, 2018
- "Delivering A Dose of Perspective - Techniques for Managing Client Expectations", Author, The Family Law Review, Spring, 2018
- The Collision of Protest Law with Family Law: Political Proclivities Playing Into Parenting, Program Chair and Presenter, a Joint Presentation by the Charles Longstreet Weltner Family Law Inn of Court and the Lamar Inn of Court, January 23, 2018
- Techniques for Managing Client Expectations, Nuts & Bolts of Family Law, Speaker and Author, September 29, 2017
- Admissibility of Electronic Evidence - Exposure of How Easy It Is to Create Fraudulent Records, Succeeding in Family Law Hearings and Trials, Moderator and Speaker, October 19, 2017
- John C. Mayoue Family Law Convocation on Professionalism, Program Co-Chair and Moderator, March 22, 2017
- Resolving Family Law Disputes Through ADR, Speaker/Panelist, JAMS and the Women in Profession Section of the Atlanta Bar Association, October 19, 2016
- The Collision of Bankruptcy and Divorce: A Survival Guide, Nuts and Bolts of Family Law, Speaker/Author, September 30, 2016
- Recent Developments in Grandparent Rights and Multi-state Jurisdication, 34th Annual Family Law Institute, Speaker and Author, May 18 - 21, 2016
- "Bedroom to Courtroom: Ashely Madison Litigation" Atlanta Bar Association, October 7, 2015, Speaker.
- Financial Topics in Family Law, Mock Direct and Cross Examinations of Financial Experts, January 27, 2015, Presenter/Lecturer.
- 21st Annual Family Law Convocation on Professionalism, March 26, 2014, Program Chair and Moderator.
- Testing the Enforceability of Prenuptial Agreements: Newman v. Newman as a Case Study, 31st Annual Family Law Institute, Speaker and Author, May 23 - 25, 2013
- Presenter/Lecturer, Forensic Accounting & Tax Issues in Divorce Cases, a joint presentation of the Georgia Society of CPAs and the Family Law Section of the Georgia Bar, January 26, 2012.
Last Updated: 6/13/2022