Thomas J. Ashenden
Top rated personal injury attorney in Atlanta, GeorgiaAshenden & Associates, P.C.
As an attorney at Ashenden & Associates, P.C., Thomas J. Ashenden is dedicated to serving clients in the Atlanta, Georgia, area and throughout the state. Tom focuses his practice on personal injury, generally handling cases that involve serious and catastrophically injured victims of car and truck accidents, premises liability, traumatic brain injury, workers' compensation and wrongful death.
Mr. Ashenden earned a Bachelor of Arts from Alliant International University, (formerly known as U.S.I.U and Cal-Western University) before attending the Woodrow Wilson College of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor.
For more than 35 years, Mr. Ashenden has committed himself to fighting on behalf of those who have been injured by the negligence or intentional actions of others. He understands the devastating impact that such injuries can have on victims and their families, and he passionately strives to help them obtain full compensation. Mr. Ashenden is admitted to practice law in Georgia, as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Georgia, the Court of Appeals of Georgia and the Supreme Court of Georgia.
Tom's dedication to the highest legal standards of ethics and professional excellence has gained him the respect of his clients and peers alike; as demonstrated by his highest possible rating of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. Tom is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Beyond his work in the courtroom, Mr. Ashenden is active in the legal community. He is a member of several organizations and associations, including the American Association for Justice, the Atlanta Bar Association, the Litigation Section of the Atlanta Bar Association and the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association. Mr. Ashenden has also served as an instructor and judge for mock trial competitions held by the American Association for Justice.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff
Dram shop laws, Construction accident
- 100% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1981, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.ashendenlaw.com/attorney/ashenden-thomas-j/
- Member, Georgia State Bar and all Courts in Georgia since 1981
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Special Member, 1985
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Supporting Member: Trucking Case & Litigation Section
- Atlanta Bar Association, "Litigation Section" Member
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Sustaining Member
- Atlanta Bar Association, Member
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Lecturer, How to Protect Yourself with the Insurance Coverage You Need
- Co-author of the PI chapter of "Georgia Methods of Practice", West Publishing
- Since 2017 up until the COVID-19 pandemic Tom Ashenden has served as a "jail minister" at the Fulton County jail through the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. , 2017
- Tom is looking forward to volunteering again as a jail minister at the Fulton County, GA jail with others from his parish. , 2021
- In July of 2018 we settled Brenda Gibbs' case. Brenda was a passenger in her daughter Courtney's SUV. Courtney was driving when they approached a large cotton gin truck in Abbeville, GA. Courtney plead guilty to improper lane change and the truck driver according to the investigating officer did not contribute to the wreck. Our case was that the trucker pulled in front of the SUV resulting in Courtney driving onto the shoulder to their right and then spinning out of control in front of the truck. We had to hire an accident reconstructionist to prove it. The wreck was life threatening with Brenda being life-flighted from the scene. She had to endure multiple surgeries. The defense claimed the damages should be attributable soley to Courtney. However, the accident reconstuctionist made an excellent witness in his video deposition. The case was on a trial calendar in Wilcox County when the defense requested mediation. It settled for a confidential amount. , 2018
- Trial Lawyers College participant, 2021
- Our client, the Plaintiff was driving a loaded dump truck and leaving a construction site on I 20 E in Douglas County, GA when he was rear ended by a tractor trailer driver which caused our client's truck to flip onto its passenger side. His medical expenses totaled $67,000 and we argued his lost wages were in the $90,000 range. Fortunately he did not need surgery and made a good recovery. He had a prior back condition which was aggravated by the collision. We settled the case for $325,000 in December of 2019 early in the litigation process. , 2019
- Plaintiff was a passenger in a vehicle that was being driven by her elderly father on Norman Drive in Valdosta, Georgia on August 21, 2017. As her father was traveling northbound on Norman Drive, He slowed his vehicle to make a right turn into a McDonald's restaurant when defendant driver struck the rear of his vehicle with the Ford Econoline van that he was driving while in the course of his employment with defendant, a multi-state communications corporation. The corporation and driver's attorneys contended that Mr. Reddick abruptly turned from the left lane in front of the company van causing the collision. As a result of the impact from the collision, plaintiff suffered injuries which required her to undergo two surgeries to date on her back and caused her to incur medical expensed in excess of $272,000. Plaintiff had a prior back condition for which she had on-going treatment before the collision. The defense attorneys hired an orthopedic expert to testify against causation and another expert to testify the medical bills were excessive, and a third expert accident reconstructionist to testify the collision occurred because of Mr. Reddick's abrupt lane change. We were all ready for trial when the defense requested mediation. The case settled after 2 mediations for $825,000. , 2021
- Our client, the Plaintiff was a hazmat tanker driver traveling south on Old Dixie Hwy approaching Central Av. in Clayton County, GA. He was driving with a blue tooth in one ear. All the vehicles around him were yielding to emergency vehicles. He didn't hear the emergency responders including a fire truck; nor did he see it's lights. The fire truck driver decided to change lanes into the oncoming traffic lane at the Central Av intersection when our client was in the midst of his left turn. Our concern was how much fault the jury would apportion to the Plaintiff. We were most fortunate that the jury returned a verdict of 100% fault to Clayton County Case which was vicariously liable for its driver's failure to exercise due care while entering an intersection while responding to an emergency with it's lights and siren on. The case was tried to a jury. Judge John Carbo 10 days before trial ordered the case to be bifurcated and that damages were to be heard in front of a new jury - we would have appealed, but the County settled at mediation with us for a very substantial amount. (I thought I'd previously submitted this one to Super Lawyers but did not see it.), 2017
- Attorney Tom Ashenden of Ashenden & Associates, P.C. in Atlanta, Ga. discusses being named a Super Lawyer, Tom Ashenden Named Super Lawyer | Ashenden & Associates, P.C., Personal Injury, 2019
- , The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 in Georgia, The National Trial Lawyers, 2021
- , Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2021
- Leading Plaintiff’s Lawyers in America, The Law Dragon 3000, 2007
- Each year since 2009 Tom Ashenden has been recognized as a GA "Top 100 Lawyer" by the National Trial Lawyers. , Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell's Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers in America, 2008
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum, certified member, 1999
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Atlanta Magazine
- American Association For Justice
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Lawyers Club Of Atlanta
- National Trial Lawyers Association
Office location for Thomas J. Ashenden
6111 Peachtree Dunwoody Road NE
Building D Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30328
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
Find me online
- Sometimes, dealing with the legal aspects after an accident can be overwhelming. Here is where our services can hel… https://t.co/C2NDpdPP2D
- U. S. Senator Blumenthal introduces important car, safety bill to protect children and others who may be caught in… https://t.co/vd1K4xtpLu
- It's easy to find yourself unable to think clearly when involved in an auto accident. At Ashenden & Associates, we… https://t.co/rFTEt3FQrN