Bill Joseph is a member of Stites & Harbison’s Business and Finance Practice Group. Bill focuses his practice on transactional tax matters, counseling clients on domestic and international corporate mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and joint ventures. He also regularly represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service and state departments of revenue. Industries in which Bill has represented clients include airlines, telecommunications, food manufacturers, insurance, banking and financial services, health care, technology, commercial and residential real estate development and venture capital.
Admitted to practice in Massachusetts, New York and Georgia, Mr. Joseph was named as one of the Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite from 2012-2018. Actively involved in structuring renewable energy projects across the country, he is affiliated with the Atlanta International Tax Study Group, the America-Israel Chamber of Commerce, Southeast Region, the University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Committee and the Wharton Club of Atlanta.
Mr. Joseph graduated with a Bachelor of Science in economics in 1981 from the University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School, with a focus in political science and accounting. In 1984, he then obtained his Juris Doctor from Boston University School of Law, where he also earned a Master of Taxation in 1989.
For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, Mr. Joseph holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. During his career, he has represented clients successfully before the state Department of Revenue and the Internal Revenue Service several times. With almost three decades of experience, he is qualified to handle all legal issues related to taxes, including tax disclosure, tax planning, revenue rulings, tax counsel and real estate joint ventures.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasTax: Business, Business/Corporate
- 80% Tax: Business
- 20% Business/Corporate
First Admitted: 1985, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.stites.com/attorneys/william-joseph
- Wharton Club of Atlanta
- University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Committee
- American Israel Chamber of Commerce Southeast Region, Professional and Cleantech Committees
- Georgia Legal Elite, 2012-2018
- G. Joseph Tauro Scholar, Boston University School of Law, 1982
- Selected as Georgia Trend Legal Elite for Tax 2012, 2014 and 2016., Georgia Trend Magazine
- American Jurisprudence Award, Corporations, Boston University School of Law, 1983
- Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar, Boston University School of Law, 1984
- AV Preeminent 5.0 Peer Rated, Martindale Hubble
- New York, 1985
- Massachusetts, 1985
- Georgia, 1991
- Atlanta International Tax Study Group
- University of Pennsylvania- Wharton School, B.S., Economics, concentrations in Accounting and Political Science, cum laude, 1981
- Boston University School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1984
- LLM in Taxation, Boston University School of Law, 1989
- Law Firm Partnership Agreements, Atlanta Bar Association Managing Partner Committee, 2012
- Article regarding U.S. foreign account reporting requirements applicable to Canadian expatriates., Leave Financial Assets in Canada? The U.S. Wants to Know About Them, Canadian Expat Network Newsletter, 2012
- Overview of Proposed FATCA Regulations, Atlanta International Tax Study Group, 2012
- Acquisitions of Troubled Companies, McKenna Long & Aldridge, 2002
- Mergers and Acquisitions for the Middle Market, Fulcrum Business and Tax Seminar, 2002
- Valuation, Fulcrum Business and Tax Seminar, 2001
- Atlanta Business Chronicle article dated December 7, 2009 summarizing state of affordable housing tax credit., co-author, Economy impacts affordable housing tax credit, Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2009
- Dividend Equivalent Payments, Atlanta International Tax Study Group, 2014
- An Early Look at a Border Adjusted Cash Flow Tax . Atlanta International Tax Study Group., 2016
Office location for William M. Joseph
303 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022