Margaret G. Washburn
Top rated family law attorney in Lawrenceville, GeorgiaMargaret Gettle Washburn, P.C.
A co-owner of the law firm of Margaret Gettle Washburn, P.C., attorney Margaret Gettle Washburn stops at nothing to ensure her clients receive the positive outcomes they deserve. Her firm is located in Lawrenceville, Georgia, and her work involves representing clients in Gwinnett County, Jackson County, Barrow County and throughout Georgia in cases related to:
· Family law: She helps families navigate complex legal situations involving divorce, child custody, spousal support and more.
· Criminal defense: She assists people who have been accused of charges related to assault, murder, traffic violations, drug crimes, theft crimes and prostitution.
· Personal injury: She pursues compensation for those who are suffering due to the negligence of others in cases such as medical malpractice, auto accidents and premises liability.
· Workers’ compensation: She fights hard to protect the rights of injured workers and helps obtain compensation after a serious work-related injury.
Ms. Washburn completed her Bachelor of Arts degree from Oglethorpe University and graduated cum laude in 1976. Three years later, she received her Juris Doctor from Emory University School of Law in Atlanta, Georgia.
Prior to working with Margaret Gettle Washburn, P.C., she worked with many firms, municipal courts and state courts, where she gained extensive experience. Ms. Washburn served as a solicitor at the DeKalb County Solicitor General's Office and as an associate judge in the City of Duluth Municipal Court and Municipal Court of the City of Berkeley Lake. She served as a Chief Judge in the Municipal Court of the City of Sugar Hill.
Licensed to practice in the state of Georgia since 1979, Ms. Washburn remains an active contributor to her community. She is a member of many legal organizations such as the Gwinnett County Bar Association, State Bar of Georgia, Lawyers Club of Atlanta and the National Association of Women Judges.
With more than four decades of experience, Ms. Washburn has many awards and achievements under her belt. She was rated AV Preeminent* by Martindale-Hubbell for her legal prowess. She has received the State Bar of Georgia’s Newsletter Award and multiple other awards from the Gwinnett County Bar Association. The Gwinnett Magazine named her one of its People of the Year. She has also published dozens of newsletters on topics related to her field.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Criminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Estate planning & probate, Workers' compensation: claimant
Alimony & spousal support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Motor vehicle accidents, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Motor vehicle offenses, Theft, DUI/DWI, Wills
- 40% Family law
- 20% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Criminal defense
- 10% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Estate planning & probate
- 10% Workers' compensation: claimant
First Admitted: 1979, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.washburnlawoffices.com/attorneys/margaret-washbu...
- INSTALLMENT PAYMENTS FROM A DORMANT JUDGMENT ARE SUBJECT TO REVIVAL: HOLMES-BRACY v. BRACY, Gwinnett County Bar Association Newsletter, S17A1682; 808 S.E.2d 669; 2017, 2018
- In the Interest of C. W., a child, Gwinnett County Bar Association Newsletter, A17A0084, 2017
- FLESCH v. FLESCH, Gwinnett County Bar Association Newsletter, S17F1231, 2017 WL 3468517, 2017
- Family Law Update: What does "artificial insemination" mean? PATTON v. VANTERPOOL, Gwinnett County Bar Association Newsletter, 302 Ga. 253, Supreme Court of Georgia, S17A0767, 2017
- Current ICJE Recertification training, as per O.C.G.A. §36-32-21
- Emory University School of Law, 1979
Office location for Margaret G. Washburn
4799 Sugarloaf Parkway
Lawrenceville, GA 30044
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023