John F. Salter
Top rated civil litigation attorney in Marietta, GeorgiaBarnes Law Group, LLC
John F. Salter is a partner and attorney at the Barnes Law Group, a law firm located in Marietta, Georgia. His practice is not limited to only one specific legal niche, but many, including civil litigation, business litigation, personal injury law, medical malpractice, class actions and mass torts.
Mr. Salter has been practicing law in the state of Georgia for more than two decades. He regularly appears before several federal, state, and appellate courts, including the U.S. District Courts for the Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia, the Supreme Court of Georgia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th and 11th Circuits and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Representing clients throughout the state, Mr. Salter has tried numerous complex cases in court and secured favorable verdicts for them. A few of his most notable cases are the following:
- A class action case in which a plaintiff challenged the decision to suspend contributions to employees’ tax annuity plan, resulting in a settlement of USD 17.5 million as approved by the court.
- Achieved a compensation settlement on behalf of a surviving spouse for burns sustained following an explosion, which subsequently led to death.
- Represented a former CEO for the claims of retaliatory discharge.
- Advocated on behalf of surviving spouse and prosecuted wrongful death against the hospital and surgeon, involving medical negligence and negligent hospital credentialing.
A Bachelor of Arts graduate, Mr. Salter majored in history and graduated from Davidson College in North Carolina in 1997. He enrolled in the University of Georgia School of Law to pursue legal studies and received his doctorate in jurisprudence with high honors in 2000. At the university, he was a member of the Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law’s editorial board and the Equal Justice Foundation.
Practice areasCivil litigation: plaintiff, Business litigation, Class action/mass torts: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Personal injury - defense
- 30% Civil litigation: plaintiff
- 30% Business litigation
- 30% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 2000, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://barneslawgroup.com/attorneys/john-f-salter/
- Selected to Georgia’s Super Lawyers, 2018-2022
- Selected to Super Lawyers List of Georgia “Rising Stars”: 2006, 2009-2014
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Georgia Northern District
- U.S. District Court, Georgia Middle District
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, DC Circuit
- B.A., Davidson College
- DeKalb Co. Sch. Dist. v. Gold, 307 Ga. 330 (2019)
- Ashcroft v. Randel, 391 F.Supp.2d 1214 (N.D. Ga. 2005)
- Johnstone v. Thompson, 280 Ga. 611 (2006)
- American Medical Security v. Parker, 284 Ga. 102 (2008)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP v. Bassett, 293 Ga.App. 274 (2008)
- Brewer v. Paulk, 296 Ga.App. 26 (2009)
- Peterson v. Sprock, 2009 WL 631219 (N.D. Ga. 2009)
- Gates v. Syrian Arab Republic, 646 F.3d 1 (DC Cir. 2011)
- NW Parkway v. Lemser et al, 309 Ga.App. 172 (2011)
- Gates v. Syrian Arab Republic, 755 F.3d 568 (7th Cir. 2014)
- Georgia Power Company v. Cazier, S17G0706 (Ga. Supreme June 18, 2018)
- Cazier v. Georgia Power Company, 339 Ga. App. 506 (2016)
- Georgia Power Co. v. Cazier, 321 Ga. App. 576 (2013)
Office location for John F. Salter
31 Atlanta Street
Marietta, GA 30060
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2006, 2009 - 2015