Robert D. Howell
Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney in Moultrie, GA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009 - 2012
Robert D. "Robb" Howell is one of the founding partners of Howell Law Firm, P.C.. He handles catastrophic and high-stakes injury cases, medical malpractice, pharmaceutical lawsuits and business litigation. From his offices in Moultrie, Thomasville, and Albany, Georgia, he represents clients throughout the state and the southeast. He also maintains an Atlanta office and as serves as Of-Counsel to the firm of Conley Griggs Partin, LLP.
Due to his dedicated representation and trial skills, Mr. Howell has obtained many seven-figure and eight-figure recoveries on behalf of his clients. Since opening in February, 2006, Howell Law Firm has recovered well over $85 million for clients who were injured or harmed by the negligence of others. Robb has been particularly successful in securing large recoveries for his clients in small, rural and traditionally-conservative venues. For example, in May, 2014, Mr. Howell was lead counsel in a medical malpractice trial in Lowndes County Superior Court which resulted in a record-setting verdict of $1,811,377.09 for his client. This was the highest personal injury jury verdict in the history of Lowndes County, Georgia at the time. Mr. Howell's verdict in this trial was featured as one of the top verdicts in Georgia in 2014 by the Daily Report on July 31, 2015.
In January, 2017, Mr. Howell was lead counsel in another record-setting trial verdict in Lowndes County, Georgia. In that case, Mr. Howell secured a $10 million dollar verdict on behalf of his client who suffered a brain injury from a fall at South Georgia Medical Center. This verdict was reported as the largest ever for a plaintiff in this venue and far surpassed the previous record verdict (also Mr. Howell's) from 2014. This trial was featured on The Great Trials Podcast on December 15, 2020.
His successes have earned him an AV rating,* and he has been selected by his peers as a Super Lawyer/Rising Star in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and as a Super Lawyer ever year from 2016 to 2020. Mr. Howell was also honored as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by the American Trial Lawyers Association for the years 2010-2012 and received regonitition by that organization as one of the Top 40 Trial Lawyers in the State of Georgia under the age of 40. Mr. Howell was recognized on August 31, 2012 as The Best Attorney In Moultrie Georgia by the Moultrie Observer.
As an active member of his legal community, Mr. Howell serves on the Executive Committee of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and is a member of GTLA's Political Action Committee Board. Mr. Howell also presently serves as a member of the University of Georgia Law School Council.
Mr. Howell graduated magna cum laude from Valdosta State University in 1994. Four years later, he received his law degree from the University of Georgia School of Law, graduating cum laude. While in law school, he was the chairman of the Moot Court Board and an active participant in the law school's prestigious moot court program, winning several titles and awards for his work.
*CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards, and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 40%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Business Litigation
Medical Malpractice, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2012
About Robert D. Howell
First Admitted: 1998, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://www.southgalaw.com/attorney/robert-d-howell/
- Valdosta State University, 1994 University of Georgia School of Law, 1998
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board Chairman, Colquitt County Serenity House, 2006 - Present
- Former Chairman, Moultrie Downtown Development Authority
- Board Member, Valdosta State University Board
- Board Member, Moultrie Technical College Foundation
- Board of Directors, Colquitt County Boys and Girls Club
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Moultrie Housing Authority
- AV Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- $10,000,000 record-setting jury verdict for the plaintiff in Lowndes County State Court, 2017
- Chairman, Moot Court Board, The University of Georgia School of Law
- Named as One of the top 100 attorneys in Georgia by the American Association for Justice, 2010
- Member, Championship ABA Moot Court Team, The University of Georgia School of Law
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association - Political Action Committee Board Member, 2019
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Executive Committee Member, 2019
- Member, Moultrie Bar Association
- Member, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, State Bar of Georgia
- American Association for Justice
- Moultrie Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Member of the Leadership Georgia Class of 2006. Recognized as Moultrie, Georgia's Best Attorney by the Moultrie Observer., 2006
- $1,400,000 arbitration award for physician on employment contract dispute, 2018
- $10,000,000 verdict for brain injured client in Lowndes County, Georgia, 2017
- $1,811,377.09 jury verdict for the plaintiff in a medical malpractice case in Lowndes County Superior Court. Childress v. Kendrick, No. 2012-CV-2346. This is the largest personal injury jury verdict in the history of Lowndes County. , 2014
Last Updated: 5/15/2022