William T. Mitchell
Top rated professional liability attorney in Norcross, GeorgiaCruser, Mitchell, Novitz, Sanchez, Gaston & Zimet LLP
Practice Areas: Professional liability, Civil rights, Employment & labor
Licensed in Georgia since: 1990
Education: Wayne State University Law School
Bill Mitchell is a founding partner of Cruser, Mitchell, Novitz, Sanchez, Gaston & Zimet, LLP. Over the past 30 years, Bill has developed a reputation as a nationally-recognized, aggressive and creative trial lawyer who can handle the most complicated and high-dollar matters, from complex commercial class actions to sophisticated EPL, professional E/O, and civil rights matters. Bill has a reputation with clients for "resolving the unresolvable" and has become regional and national counsel for a number of clients in high-exposure cases. Bill is also a leader on Litigation Management and consults with and oversees national programs for insurance carriers. In this regard, Bill co-authored an industry-leading book entitled The Disruptive Lawyer’s Little Black Book of Litigation Management.
Bill had the honor of having been appointed by former Georgia Governor Nathan Deal to the state’s Judicial Nomination Committee, which interviews and recommends judges to the Governor relating to the filling of vacant judicial positions for all levels of Georgia courts, including state court, superior court, Georgia Court of Appeals, and Georgia Supreme Court.
In the past decade, Bill has handled some of the most notorious cases in Georgia as counsel for NFL star Ray Lewis in the “Buckhead Murders” wrongful death civil actions; counsel for the captain in charge of courthouse security in the seven civil cases arising out of the Brian Nichols/Fulton County Courthouse shooting incident; and counsel for the family of Kathryn Johnston to represent the family of the 92 year old woman who was killed by Atlanta Police in the Neal Street Shooting matter.
First Admitted: 1990, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://cmlawfirm.com/attorney/william-t-mitchell/
- Member of CLM Alliance
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- Member of DRI
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Member of ABA
- Numerous U.S. District Courts
- Member of Georgia Bar
- Wilhelm v. Fulton County: Candee Wilhelm v. Myron Freeman, et al., State Court of DeKalb County, CAF#06-A-45846-2. Wrongful death failure to protect case arising out of Fulton County Courthouse Shooting matter wherein Brian Nichols escaped courthouse after shooting judge, court reporter and others. Court Granted motion for summary judgment on Wilhelm wrongful death claim that the decedent was not in the zone of protection for defendant county deputies to owe duty.
- Powell v. Fulton County, etc.: C. Alan Powell v. Jacqueline H. Barrett, United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, CAF#1:04-cv-1100-RWS; 4th and 14th Amendment strip search class action wherein MSJ granted by Court.
- Successfully tried to a verdict of $22,000 a clear liability case where plaintiff claimed over $1,000,000 in damages against a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented public entities in variety of class actions arising out of delivery of medical services in detention facilities and other civil rights matters.
- Norment v. Newton County: William Norment v. Newton County Sheriff’s Department, et al., United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, CAF#1:08-cv-1731-TCB; 4th/14th Amendment civil rights case involving allegations of excessive force where plaintiff sustained broken neck when taken into custody by police officers. Motion for Summary Judgment Granted as Court determined force reasonably necessary under circumstances. (Affirmed by 11th Circuit.)
- Wright v Farouk: Amber Nichole Wright v. Farouk Systems, Inc., United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, Newnan Division, CAF#3:09-cv-00092-TCB. Federal products liability burn case. Plaintiff’s expert stricken under Daubert and Court granted Motion for Summary Judgment finding no product defect or failure to warn.
- Obtained defense jury verdict for Fortune 500 company involving significant motor vehicle wreck where plaintiff suffered a catastrophic injury (e.g. broken neck and paralysis).
- Obtained dismissal for national construction product manufacturer in multi-million dollar construction defect black/toxic mold case.
- Represented over 50 public entities across Georgia in civil rights and employment disputes.
- Forbes v. Lenox National: Matthew Forbes, et al. v. Lenox Financial Mortgage, LLC, et al. , United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, CAF#1:08-cv-2513-cc; alleged multi-million dollar breach of contract/unjust enrichment case involving mortgage company and its title company/attorney; obtained summary judgment defendant as court found that there was no enforceable contract between the parties and that our client paid fair value for plaintiff’s services under unjust enrichment theory. (Affirmed by 11th Circuit)
- Won landmark reapportionment statute case, in which Appeals Court said premises owner can't seek indemnity from general contractor., 2013
- Obtained defense jury verdict for national chemical manufacturer in matter where plaintiff was catastrophically injured and sought $15 million for injuries/damages.
- Trial counsel for national product manufacturer in product defect class action. Trial counsel for corporate defendant in 30 food contamination (salmonella) cases.
- Lead counsel in over 700 civil rights and employment matters against public entities and private employers.
- Retained by Fulton County’s general counsel to represent the captain in charge of courthouse security in the seven civil cases arising out of the Brian Nichols/Fulton County Courthouse shooting incident
- Retained by NFL star Ray Lewis’ counsel to represent him in the “Buckhead Murders” wrongful death civil action
- Retained by the attorney for the family of Kathryn Johnston to represent the family of the 92 year old woman who was killed by Atlanta Police in the Neal Street Shooting matter resulting in the arrest/conviction of several Atlanta Police officer.
- AV rated (highest professional rating) by Martindale Hubbell.
- “Litigation Management” , Speaker, Insurance CLE, Crawford University Seminar, 2009
- “Mediation 101” , Speaker, Insurance CLE, Crawford University Seminar, 2009
- “10 Ways for GC’s to Manage Their Outside Counsel", Speaker, FDR GC Seminar , 2011
- "Adopting Claims Management Process for Employment Claims", CLM Alliance Annual Conference, 2014
- "Litigation Management and Changing the Paradigm of Great Results", Insurance Conference, 2014
- "Efficient Claims Management", CLM Alliance Conference, 2013
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023