William D. Healan, III
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Winder, GeorgiaHealan Law Offices
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, DUI-DWI, Personal injury; view more
Licensed in Georgia since: 1996
Education: University of Georgia School of Law
Healan Law OfficesPO Box 1746
Winder, GA 30680 Visit website
William D. Healan III is dedicated to representing people in the Athens Metro area and Winder, Georgia, as well as Barrow, Jackson, Gwinnett, Banks, Walton, Clarke, Oconee, Madison, Franklin, Oglethorpe, Hall and all other North Georgia counties. He focuses his practice on criminal defense, handling cases that involve the following matters: domestic and family violence, drug crimes, DUI charges, marijuana, prescription drugs and aggravated assault.
After graduating cum laude from The University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Business Administration, Mr. Healan went on to earn a Juris Doctor in 1996 from the University of Georgia School of Law.
With nearly two decades of experience, Mr. Healan understands how important it is to provide the best possible legal representation for clients facing criminal charges. He has handled hundreds of cases ranging from traffic violations to homicide. Mr. Healan uses innovative strategies in every case, calling expert witnesses and providing evidence in order to obtain a favorable outcome for clients.
In a 2003 trial, Mr. Healan secured a landmark ruling from the Supreme Court of Georgia, stating that part of the state’s laws regarding drunk driving were unconstitutional. In a 1997 case, he argued that people should not face drug possession charges when blood or urine tests come back positive for an illegal substance, and the Court of Appeals of Georgia agreed. For his successes, Mr. Healan holds an Avvo “Superb” rating.
A member of the State Bar of Georgia, Mr. Healan is admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. He holds memberships with the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Georgia Defenders of Drinking Drivers and the Piedmont Circuit Bar Association.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Theft, Traffic violations, Criminal domestic violence, DUI/DWI, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Wrongful death, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff
- 50% Criminal defense
- 40% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1996, Georgia
Professional Webpage: http://www.healanlaw.com/Attorneys/William-billy-D-Healan-Ii...
- Presley v. State, 251 Ga.App. 823, 555 S.E.2d 156 (2001)
- Locklear v. State, 244 Ga.App. 10, 534 S.E.2d 575 (2000)
- State v. Kenney, 233 Ga.App. 298, 503 S.E.2d 585 (1998)
- Brogdon v. State, S09G2058, 2010
- Doster v. State, 259 Ga.App. 605, 578 S.E.2d 262 (2003)
- Dunagan v. State, 255 Ga.App. 309, 565 S.E.2d 526 (2002)
- King v. State, 272 Ga. 788, 535 S.E.2d 492 (2000)
- State v. Lewis, 233 Ga.App. 390, 504 S.E.2d 242 (1998)
- Mr. Healan has tried over 100 jury trials and numerous bench trials.
- State v. Frazier, 299 Ga.App. 344, 494 S.E.2d 36 (1997)
- Johnson v. State, 261 Ga.App. 633, 583 S.E.2d 489 (2003)
- Davidson v. State, 257 Ga.App. 260, 570 S.E.2d 698 (2002)
- Wilbanks, Kozachyn v. State, 251 Ga.App. 248, 554 S.E.2d 248 (2001)
- State v. Harris, 236 Ga.App. 525, 513 S.E.2d 1 (1999)
- Hendrix v. State, 230 Ga.App. 604, 497 S.E.2d (1997)
- Cooper v. State, 277 Ga. 282, 587 S.E.2d 605 (2003)
- Brooks, Moon v. State, 257 Ga.App. 515, 571 S.E.2d 504 (2002)
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- Past Chairman of the Barrow County Indigent Defense Comittee
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Georgia Defenders of Drinking Drivers (D.O.D.D.) Group, Member
- Georgia, 1996
- Past President of the Piedmont Judicial Circuit Bar Association
- Piedmont Bar Association, Member
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1996
- Georgia D.O.D.D. Group, a select group of the most experienced DUI lawyers in Georgia
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Cooper v. State. This was another landmark DUI case that Mr. Healan won in the Georgia Supreme Court. In this case, the Supreme Court ruled that the police could no longer require motorists to submit to blood or urine testing after an accident involving a fatality or serious injury when there was no probable cause for arrest. The Georgia statute that had allowed this practice was declared unconstitutional.
- King v. State. This was a landmark case that Mr. Healan won in the Georgia Supreme Court. In this case, the Supreme Court decided that the district attorney did not have the authority to issue a subpoena for a defendant's medical records in a DUI case.
- State v. Frazier. This case, which Mr. Healan won at the Georgia Court of Appeals, was one of the first cases to clarify that a defendant could not be charged with drug possession based on a positive blood or urine test given in a DUI case.
- Presented a lecture regarding administrative license suspension hearings at a seminar sponsored by the Georgia Institute of Continuing Legal Education., Speaker, Using the ALS Hearing to Win at Trial, Georgia Institute Of Continuing Legal Education
- Presented a lecture regarding discovery issues in criminal cases to other members of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Speaker, Criminal Discovery, Georgia Association Of Criminal Defense Lawyers Fall Seminar
- Presented a lecture regarding search and seizure issues in a seminar sponsored by the Georgia Indigent Defense Council., Speaker, Search and Seizure Issues in Drug Cases, Georgia Indigent Defense Council
- Speaker/Panel Participant, 2017 Georgia ICLE DUI Seminar, 2017
- Juris Doctor - University of Georgia School of Law, 1996
- BBA - Economics, Cum Laude, University of Georgia, 1993
- Case of the Year, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2004
- This is the highest rating on this attorney rating site, 10 out of 10 ranking, AVVO.com, 2011
- In Cooper v. State, Best Case of the Year, Georgia D.O.D.D. Group, 2003
Office location for William D. Healan, III
PO Box 1746
Winder, GA 30680
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2005, 2007, 2009 - 2011