Alan Van Etten
Top rated insurance coverage attorney in Honolulu, HawaiiDeeley King Pang & Van Etten
Practice Areas: Insurance coverage, General litigation
Licensed in Hawaii since: 1973
Chosen as a national SuperLawyer, possessing the highest ("AV Pre-eminent") rating by Martindale-Hubbell and listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Alan's practice concentrates in civil litigation, with an emphasis on insurance coverage and bad faith law and litigation, representing individual, corporate and government entity policyholders in insurance coverage and bad faith cases. He also represents plaintiffs in selected personal injury cases (he is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum). He is the only policyholder/plaintiff's attorney in Hawaii admitted as a Fellow of the American College of Coverage Counsel, an invitation-only national organization of insurance coverage and bad faith attorneys. Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, he graduated from Yale University in 1967 and from U.C. Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law in 1972. He clerked for State of Hawaiii Chief Justice William S. Richardson in 1972-73, and has served his profession as President of the Hawaii State Bar Association in 1997, Hawaii State Bar Association Delegate to ABA House of Delegates, 1998-2001, State Delegate for Hawaii to ABA House of Delegates 2001-2009, and 9th Circuit Representative on the ABA Standing Committee for the Federal Judiciary,2008 - 2011. He is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (ABF) and Past Chair of the Hawaii Chapter of the ABF. He co-founded the Insurance Coverage Litigation Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association in 2006, was its first Chairperson, and is currently again its Chairperson. He has been a Vice-Chair of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee (ICLC) for the Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the ABA, and was Chair of the 2009 ICLC Annual Meeting. Alan has written and spoken extensively on insurance law and litigation since 1993 when, at the Law School's request, he was Adjunct Professor of Advanced Torts and Insurance Law at the University of Hawaii's William S. Richardson School of Law. He frequently speaks, writes and teaches Hawaii Insurance Law. He has co-written the materials for, and been a panel presenter on, more than fifty (50) insurance coverage and bad faith seminars in the past 30 years. Attendees at the seminars are other attorneys and insurance professionals. Because his teachings contribute significantly to establishing the standard of care in the handling of insurance claims in the State of Hawaii, he has served as an expert witness on that standard for both insureds and insurers. He has recovered many millions of dollars for his clients in insurance coverage, insurance bad faith and personal injury cases.
First Admitted: 1973
Professional Webpage: http://dkpvlaw.com/team/alan-van-etten/
- B.A., Yale University, 1967, J.D, University of California at Berkeley School of Law, 1972.
- Treasurer, Hawaii State Bar Association (HSBA), 1994, 1995, Vice President, HSBA, 1996, President, HSBA, 1997, HSBA Delegate to ABA House of Delegates, 1998-2001, Hawaii State Delegate to ABA House of Delegates, 2001-2010, 9th Circuit Representative, ABA Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary, 2008-2011. Member, Board of Governors of ABA, 2015 - 18, Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation; past Chair, Hawaii Chapter of the ABF.
- ALI 2017 to present: The Members Consultative Group was made up of ALI members who consulted on the drafting of the Restatement of the Law,k Liability Insurance, published 2019.
- Federal Judicial Selection Commission, Vice-Chair, 2015.
- Board of Directors, Hina Mauka, 2007 - 2011; Chair of the Board, 2009-10; Board of Directors, HSBA AAP, 2011 - present; Chair of the Board, 2015.
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates since 2004., Fellow, American College of "Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Several multimillion-dollar settlements in personal injury, insurance coverage and insurance bad faith,
- Insurance Coverage And Bad Faith