Geoff J. Sogi
Top rated Estate Planning & Probate attorney in Honolulu, HawaiiTamashiro Sogi & Bonner, A Law Corporation
Practice Areas: Estate Planning & Probate, Elder Law; view more
Licensed in Hawaii since: 2009
Education: University of Hawai'i at Manoa William S. Richardson School of Law
Tamashiro Sogi & Bonner, A Law Corporation705 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96813 Visit website
As the managing attorney at Tamashiro Sogi, A Law Corporation, Geoff J. Sogi focuses his practice on various aspects of estate planning and administration as well as elder law. From the firm's office in Honolulu, Hawaii, he provides representation to clients throughout the state. Mr. Sogi has been admitted to practice before all Hawaii state courts since 2009, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii.
Mr. Sogi has extensive experience in the preparation and review of wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney, and advance medical directives. He works with his clients to determine their objectives and needs and then suggests the most appropriate types of estate planning documents. Mr. Sogi's experience has also encompassed guardianships, conservatorships and long-term care planning, and he guides beneficiaries and fiduciaries through the probate and trust administration processes.
Majoring in political science and minoring in Japanese, Mr. Sogi attended the University of Hawaii at Manoa, and in 2005, he received a Bachelor of Arts and was inducted into The Phi Beta Kappa Society. Remaining on campus, he pursued his legal education at the William S. Richardson School of Law, and he was selected for the school's Scholar Advocacy Program and co-authored an article for the Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States on the historic Korematsu v. United States, which challenged the unlawful incarceration and internment of Japanese Americans during World War II.
After his graduation from law school in 2009, Mr. Sogi was general counsel for a credit union and then a compliance officer for a regional bank before entering private practice. His professional affiliations include the Hawaii State Bar Association, American Bar Association, Hawaii Estate Planning Council, and Hawaii Society of Business Professionals.
Practice areasEstate Planning & Probate, Elder Law
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- 50% Estate Planning & Probate
- 50% Elder Law
First Admitted: 2009, Hawaii
Professional Webpage: https://www.tsbhawaii.com/attorneys
- Japanese American Citizens League Honolulu Chapter, Board of Directors, President
- Phi Beta Kappa International Honor Society, Member
- Scholar Advocacy Program
- Hawaii State Bar Association’s Probate and Estate Planning and Elder Law Sections, Member
- Hawaii Estate Planning Council, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State of Hawaii and its District Courts
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Minor: Japanese, 2005
- Basic-to-intermediate level seminar describing various public benefit programs and the use of trusts as planning tools to meet the eligibility requirements for such programs., Speaker, Using Trusts in Medicaid and Disability Planning, National Business Institute, 2018
- Co-Author, Chapter in the 2008 Edition of the Encyclopedia of the Supreme Court of the United States titled, “Korematsu v. United States: Challenging the Japanese American Internment”
- Basic-to-intermediate level seminar covering key elements of effective wills; using trusts as alternatives to wills; basic tax concerns, documenting long-term care, incapacity, and end-of-life decisions; and applicable legal ethics issues., Speaker, Step-by-Step Guide to Drafting Wills and Trusts, National Business Institute, 2018
- Basic-to-intermediate level seminar describing various types of trusts and common issues that arise in trust-based estate planning., Speaker, Trusts from A to Z, National Business Institute, 2017
- Basic-to-intermediate level seminar describing Medicaid eligibility requirements, basic planning strategies, use of various types of trusts in Medicaid planning, and common legal ethics issues., Speaker, Protecting Assets While Qualifying for Medicaid, National Business Institute, 2016
Office location for Geoff J. Sogi
705 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
- Rising Stars: 2019 - 2023
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Great client focus. Gets the job done right and on time.”