John D. Thomas, Jr.
Top rated personal injury attorney in Honolulu, HawaiiCronin Fried Sekiya Kekina & Fairbanks
John D. Thomas is an attorney at Honolulu-based Cronin, Fried, Sekiya, Kekina & Fairbanks. He focuses his practice exclusively on personal injury and wrongful death litigation, and he represents clients throughout Oahu and other parts of the state. Mr. Thomas has been with the firm since 1980.
Mr. Thomas attended Princeton University as an undergraduate and received a Bachelor of Arts in 1970. He then went on to enroll at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, and in 1973, he was awarded his Juris Doctor. Mr. Thomas became admitted to practice before all California state courts later in that year, and he is also admitted to practice in Hawaii as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Thomas has long provided aggressive advocacy on behalf of people who have incurred significant losses as the result of the negligence or recklessness of other parties. The types of matters that he has handled over the years have arisen out of catastrophic incidents such as medical malpractice, truck and other types of motor vehicle crashes, aviation accidents, and defective products. Mr. Thomas has been able to obtain millions of dollars in compensation for his plaintiff clients due to his skills in presenting cases before juries as well as his tenacity at the negotiating table, and his colleagues have taken note and have awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
A frequent lecturer on topics related to his practice area, Mr. Thomas has participated in several professional organizations. Among his memberships are the Hawaii Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Aviation and aerospace, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - defense, Aviation, Medical malpractice
- 40% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 20% Aviation and aerospace
- 20% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 20% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1973, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.croninfried.com/attorney/john-d-thomas-jr/
- McKenzie v. Hawaii Permanente Med. Group, 98 Hawaii 296, 47 P.3d 1209, 2002
- Turner v. Willis, 59 Haw. 319, 582 P.2d 710, 1978
- Calvin v. Limco Ltd., 60 Haw. 154, 587 P.2d 1216, 1978
- Shibuya v. Architects Hawaii Ltd., 65 Haw. 26, 647 P.2d 276, 1982
- Jenkins v. Whittaker Corp., 551 F.Supp. 110, 545 F.Supp. 1117, 1982, D.C. Hawaii
- Hirahara v. Tanaka, 87 Hawaii 460, 959 P.2d 830, 1998
- Hawaii, 1974
- Hawaii Tort Law Study Committee, Chair, 1997 to 1999
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Association for Justice
- Consumer Lawyers of Hawaii
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Hawaii Federal Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1973
- California, 1973
- Princeton University, A.B. - 1970
Office location for John D. Thomas, Jr.
841 Bishop Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2019