P. Gregory Frey
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Honolulu, HI
- Free Consultation
P. Gregory Frey is the Senior Attorney at Coates Frey Tanimoto & Gibson, Attorneys At Law, LLLC, Hawai'i's largest Family Law & Divorce firm located in Honolulu, Hawai'i.** Representing clients throughout the state, he focuses his practice in the area(s) of divorce & family law, including contested divorce & child custody cases, child support, alimony, complex property division, premarital agreements, mediation, domestic violence and other related family court matters. ( ** fka Coates & Frey, AAL, LLLC, 1996-2018, where Mr. Frey held the position of Managing Attorney & Litigation Supervisor for decades). Mr. Frey also leads Divorce with Decency, a Mediation Clinic which offers exceptional mediation services in all areas of family law at fees traditionally far less than comparable mediators in the State.
Mr. Frey, a 1979 honors graduate of Saint Louis High School in Honolulu, completed his Bachelor of Arts in history at Santa Clara University, graduating in 1983. He then attended Willamette University College of Law. While he was in law school, he was named to the president's honor roll before being awarded his Juris Doctor in 1986. Mr. Frey later received a Master of Arts in psychology at Honolulu University in 2002 and a Conflict Resolution Certificate from eCornell University in 2021.
Mr. Frey, a 3rd generation attorney, was admitted to practice before all Hawai'i State Courts in 1987. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai'i and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. Mr. Frey has a keen understanding of the emotional difficulties his clients face when they are going through family law disputes. He has represented thousands of clients in his 35 years of practice, and he strives to secure successful resolutions to their complex, challenging and ofttimes very emotional legal matters. Mr. Frey devotes this same level of skill, analysis, devotion and passion to his considerably expanded Mediation practice as the leader of the firm's Divorce with Decency Mediation Clinic.
Highly regarded and respected by his fellow professionals, Mr. Frey has received a Distinguished* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell. A former chair of the Family Law Section of the Hawai'i State Bar Association ("HSBA") in 2002 and a multi-year Oahu Director of HSBA, he is an active participant in several other legal and civic organizations, including the longstanding former President of the Saint Louis School Alumni Association in Honolulu (2009-2019) and on the School's Board of Trustees (2007-2019) (as well as an Inductee to SLS' Gallery of Distinquished Achievers, his high school Alma mater's highest & most distinguished honor ), and also sat on the National Alumni Board at his SCU Alma Mater and in 2019, Mr. Frey was installed as a SLS Trustee Emeritus, a lifetime appointment. In 2018, Mr. Frey was elected by his professional peers to the position of Vice-President of the Hawai'i State Bar Association. In 2019, Mr. Frey held the position of HSBA President-Elect, and in 2020, he was honored & humbled to be the President of the Hawai'i State Bar Association, the first Hawaii attorney who solely and exclusively practices in the area of divorce & family law to hold this esteemed & time honored position. Mr. Frey often lectures on family law issues and mediation techniques, and regularly volunteers time at the Kapolei (Family Court) Access to Justice Program and Volunteer Legal Sevices of Hawai'i. Married to his College Sweetheart, 36 years and counting, with two adult daughters and one Lemon Beagle. Mr. Frey, a career sports competitor (in High School & College) and fan, was inducted with his SCUTS83 teammates in 2018 to the Santa Clara University Rugby Hall of Fame.
Regrettably not a stranger to personal challenges, pressures and/or tragedy, Mr. Frey lost his (twin) brother, LtCol Grant V. Frey USMC (Ret.), to COVID-19 in 2020, and in tribute to their unwavering support of one another, Mr. Frey founded SeMPer FREY, Inc. dba The Wishes GRANTed Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity which assists those who face insurmountable challenges & difficulties through no fault of their own (to include COVID-19 survivors & their families ( www.TheWishesGRANTedFoundation.com ).
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 70%Family Law
- 30%Alternative Dispute Resolution
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Mediation
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2021
About P. Gregory Frey
First Admitted: 1987, Hawaii
Professional Webpage: https://www.coatesandfrey.com/attorney/p-gregory-frey/
- Formally trained Mediator (Mediation Center of the Pacific, fka Neighborhood Justice Center) & Senior Mediator, Divorce with Decency, a mediation clinic.
- eCornell University, Conflict Resolution Certificate, 2021
- www.coatesandfrey.com/divorce-separation, Winning Contested Divorce Cases by P. Gregory Frey, Esq.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- 3rd Generation Attorney (Father: Stanford University, 1968 & Grandfather: University of Southern California, 1934)
Pro bono/Community Service
- Former member of Santa Clara University National Alumni Board of Directors, 2016-2018, 2016
- Founder, Board Member & Officer, SeMPer FREY, Inc. dba The Wishes GRANTed Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity ( www.The WishesGRANTedFoundation.com). , 2021
- Lifetime Appointment, Trustee Emeritus, Saint Louis School, Honolulu HI, 2020
- Inductee/Honoree, Saint Louis School Galley of Distinguished Achievers, Honolulu HI, 2018
- Board Member, Saint Louis Alumni Association, 2002 - 2019, 2002
- Former Trustee/Board member & Vice-Chair, Saint Louis School Board of Trustees, 2007-2019, 2009
- Former President, Saint Louis Alumni Association, 2009 - 2019, 2009
- Member/Participant, Volunteer Settlement Master Program (First Circuit, Family Court, Honolulu, Hawai'i)
- Inducted in 2018 as a team member of the 1983 SCUTS, SCU's winniest rugby team in school histiry, 21-2, ranked #3 nationally in the NCAA, Inductee, Santa Clara University Rugby Hall of Fame, 2018
- Inductee, Saint Louis School Gallery of Distinquished Achievers (highest & most distinguished honor conferred by SLS upon its Alumni)., 2018
- President-elect, Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA"), 2019
- President, Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA") ( First Hawaii attorney who practices solely in the areas of divorce & family law to be elected to lead the Island State's approximate 8,500 lawyers)., 2020
- Former Chair, Family Law Section, Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA"), 2002
- Vice-President, Hawai'i State Bar Association ("HSBA"), 2018
- Former Appointed Member of the Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA")Judicial Evaluation Commitee, 2016
- Member of the Hawaii State Bar, 1987-present., 1987
- Former O'ahu Director, Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA"), 2003 - 2009, 2003
- Appointed Member of the Hawaii State Bar Association ("HSBA") Nominating Commitee, 2018
- eCornell University, Conflict Resolution Certificate , 2021
- Saint Louis High School (Honolulu, Hawai'i), High School Diploma, with Honors (ranked #10 in Class of over 250)., 1979
- Willamette University, College of Law, J.D., 1986
- Honolulu University, M.A., Psychology., 2002
- Santa Clara University, B.A., History. (Inducted in 2018 to the SCU Rugby Hall of Fame as a member of the 1983 team, SCUTS, the winniest Rugby team in school history, 21-2, ranked #3 nationally in NCAA)., 1983
- dependants & veterans)
- Military (active duty
- Coates Frey Tanimoto & Gibson thanks everyone for their hard work and commitment, by way of our socially distanced,… https://t.co/c6eAO5YhiS
- Gotta love the dedicated attorneys, paraprofessionals & staff @ CFTG. They collectively respect COVID protocol, res… https://t.co/Fig4VctlGr
- 3 Steps to Exit An Abusive Marriage https://t.co/GjiqxnR3iD https://t.co/FDG54VSOHt
- A Helpful Guide to Child Custody Rulings https://t.co/pIWPFpWmMD https://t.co/PiOTpVTIFI
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid During a Divorce https://t.co/9G4iLqsnmT https://t.co/16BBm2lLZr
Last Updated: 5/15/2022