Top rated employment litigation attorney in Chicago, IllinoisCaffarelli & Associates Ltd.
Practice Areas: Employment litigation, Employment & labor, General litigation; view more
Licensed in Illinois since: 1997
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Caffarelli & Associates Ltd.224 S. Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60604 Visit website
A highly regarded employment law attorney in Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Alejandro Caffarelli is the founder of the law firm Caffarelli & Associates Ltd. Successful in procuring millions of dollars in compensation for his clients, he provides high-quality representation with utmost honor and integrity. Clients have been relying on him for the following services for more than two decades:
- Sexual harassment
- Wrongful termination
- Wages and overtime
- Severance and contract negotiation
- Consumer law and class actions
- The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Qualified to practice in Illinois since 1997, Mr. Caffarelli is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th and 7th Circuits, the United States District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, and the Supreme Courts of Illinois and Minnesota.
After obtaining his B.A. with a major in history and Spanish from the University of Michigan in 1992, Mr. Caffarelli attended the University of Minnesota Law School and earned his J.D. in 1996. While in law school, he was part of the Minnesota Law Review, and he had his first article on civil forfeiture published.
Among Mr. Caffarelli’s many honors is the AV Preeminent peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the organization’s highest rating. He was included in Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Employment Lawyers list and holds an Avvo 10.0 rating.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Caffarelli holds memberships in the American Bar Association, The Chicago Bar, the Hispanic National Bar Association, the National Association of Consumer Advocates and the American Arbitration Association. He is a former president and board member of the National Employment Lawyers Association and the Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois.
Whether a day worker or a Fortune 500 company, Mr. Caffarelli provides the same level of service. He has handled hundreds of jury trials and class actions, and is frequently featured and quoted in media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Univision Chicago and Telemundo. A motivational speaker, he often offers talks that inspire audiences.
Mr. Caffarelli does pro bono work that focuses on immigration services, community education and more. He is a part of many nonprofit organizations, including Arise Chicago, Centro de los Derechos del Migrante, Inc. and Latinos Progresando. He served on the Pro Bono Advisory Committee of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Employment & labor: employee, General litigation
Employment law - employee, Labor law, Litigation
- 50% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 30% Employment & labor: employee
- 20% General litigation
First Admitted: 1996, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://caffarelli.com/people/alejandro-caffarelli/
- For the past several years, Mr. Caffarelli has provided pro bono services on behalf of indigent workers through the Workers’ Center at the Chicago Interfaith Committee on Worker Issues. In 2001, he volunteered to provide legal assistance for the City of Chicago’s immigration workshops, sponsored by Mayor Richard M. Daley, and he subsequently graduated from the United Neighborhood Organization’s Metropolitan Leadership Institute (“MLI”), a workshop for Hispanic professionals.
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2011-Present
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Employment Lawyer
- Rated 10/10 “superb” by Avvo.com, 2007-Present
- AV (highest) peer review rated by LexisNexis’ Martindale-Hubbell, 2008-Present
- In 2010, Mr. Caffarelli was named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine. Each year, only 2.5 percent of all Illinois attorneys are named.
- B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Hispanic Lawyers' Association of Illinois: 1998-Present
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
- ARISE-Chicago Legal Advisory Board
- Hispanic Lawyers’ Association of Illinois – Former Officer and Board Member
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- NELA – Illinois Chapter – Former President and Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Mediator – Chicago Bar Association
- Arbitrator – American Arbitration Association
- Illinois & Minnesota Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois – Trial Bar
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy Midwest Regional Workshop
- American Immigration Lawyers Association: 2000-Present
- Admission: United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Illinois Supreme Court, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- National Employment Lawyers’ Association: 2001-Present
- Chicago Bar Association: 1997-Present
- President of National Employment Lawyers’ Association (Illinois chapter): 2010-2012
- Mr. Caffarelli represents all types of employees from the highest-level executives at Fortune 500 companies to hourly-wage workers.
- Hundreds of private employment settlements, which, because of standard confidentiality requirements, details cannot be provided.
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Trial Advocacy Skills, 2005
- Chicago Bar Association, Panel: The Intersection between the FMLA, the ADA, and Retaliatory Discharge, 2010
- Alliance for Justice Panel: Forced Arbitration, featuring Gov. Pat Quinn at the Loyola University Law School, 2015
- 7th Circuit Bar Association: Settling a Settlement Assistance Program Referral in the U.S. District Court, 2015
- Ogletree Deakins National Workplace Strategies Seminar Panel: My Favorite Mistake – Perspectives from the Plaintiffs’ Bar, 2016
- CBA Panel: Labor and Employment Law Committee Lunch Seminar on New Sick Leave Laws and Ordinances, 2016
- ABA L&E ADR Committee, Mid-Winter Meeting: Class Action Waivers, 2017
- NELA/American Constitution Society Joint Panel: Impact of Epic v. Lewis Sys. at the Supreme Court, 2017
- CBA/YLS Panel: Employers v. the First Amendment, 2018
- CBA Spring Seminar: Technology in the Workplace (Biometrics Panel), 2018
- NELA National Conference Moderator: The FMLA at 25 – where have we been and where do we go from here, 2018
- ABA L&E ADR Committee, Mid-Winter Meeting: Class Action Waivers Update, Where Does it go From Here?, 2019
- ILW Panel at Chicago-Kent Law School: The Growth of State and Local Employment Laws: Protecting Workers or Complicating Things?, 2019
- CBA/LE Panel: The Biometric Information Privacy Act after Rosenbach – A Survey of the Legal Landscape, 2019
- ABA L&E ADR Committee, Mid-Winter Meeting: The Media and ADR, 2020
- FBA L&E Law Conference: the FFCRA, FMLA, and Leaves of Absence, 2021
- AAA Webinar: Leaves of Absence and Reasonable Accommodations in a Semi-Vaccinated World, 2021
- Chicago Bar Association, Panel: Intersection of Employment/Immigration Law Issues, 2010
- ABA Journal Podcast, Management Panel on Social Media: Good Employee Communication Tool or Liability, 2010
- Chicago Bar Association, Panel: Common Immigration Issues in Employment Law, 2006
- Chicago Bar Association, Panel: The Undocumented in America, 2006
- American Immigration Lawyers’ Association, Regional Conference: Employment Enforcement Alert, 2007
- The Labor Employment Relations Association, Seminar: The American with Disabilities Act Amendments, 2008
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation, YLS Seminar: The Interplay Between Employment Law and Immigration Law, 2008
- American Immigration Lawyers' Association, Regional Conference: Employment Enforcement Alert, 2009
- DePaul University College of Law, ICE Enforcement Conference: Employment Panel, 2009
- American Bar Association, Panel Moderator: Hot Topics in the Supreme Court, 2010
Office location for Alejandro Caffarelli
224 S. Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60604
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2010