Alexis is a trial attorney at Sherwood Law Group. She concentrates her practice in all aspects of personal injury and civil litigation. Alexis has successfully represented her clients in all types of injury actions, including medical malpractice cases, motor vehicle and trucking accidents, product liability cases, slip and fall injuries, premises liability cases, animal bites, construction negligence, nursing home negligence, wrongful death, and catastrophic personal injuries.
Prior to joining the Sherwood Law Group team, Alexis proficiently defended corporations and individuals against complex litigation matters including professional and medical liability matters, premises liability actions, construction negligence and commercial litigation cases.
Alexis provides skillful, knowledgeable, and aggressive representation in order to obtain the best possible outcome for her clients. She has successfully litigated personal injury matters in both state and federal courts in Illinois, represented clients on appellate matters before the Illinois Appellate Court and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and obtained settlements for both individual and corporate clients.
As a result of her achievements, Alexis has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star which is a recognition only given to the top 2.5% of attorneys in Illinois under the age of 40.
A Chicago-native, Alexis graduated from Saint Ignatius College Prep in 2009 and returned to Chicago to earn her juris doctorate from DePaul University College of Law in 2016 after graduating from Miami University in 2013 where she earned a B.A. in Philosophy.
Her compassion for helping others extends beyond the courtroom, as Alexis is actively involved in community, charitable and professional organizations throughout the City of Chicago and State of Illinois.
First Admitted: 2017, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://sherwoodlawgroup.com/alexis-karkula/
- $650,000.00 third party settlement for a Plaintiff (46) who slipped and fell on oil/substance in a loading dock while taking out the garbage in the course of his employment and suffered injuries to his right knee and shoulder that required both conservative care and eventual surgery. Liability was disputed by owner of the property, property manager and additional tenant that allegedly spilled the oil/substance.
- $400,000.00 settlement for a Plaintiff who suffered an ankle fracture requiring surgical repair, developing arthritis and CRPS (disputed) from a slip, trip, and fall related to negligent removal of snow and ice and improper salting of a parking lot in a residential townhome community. Both liability and the permanency of the injury were disputed by the owner, property manager, and snow and ice removal contractor.
- $234,000.00 settlement for a Plaintiff in a disputed trucking accident where a semi-truck illegally merged into the Plaintiff's lane of traffic causing the vehicle to collide through a pedestrian sidewalk and into a fire hydrant. The Plaintiff suffered soft-tissue neck and back injuries, post-concussion syndrome, and PTSD along with lost wages which were also disputed.
- $232,500.00 settlement in a rear-end motor-vehicle collision where the Plaintiff (59) suffered a rotator cuff tear and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair following by physical therapy. Settlement included recovery of the entire policy limits of the Defendant, at fault driver, and within the underinsured coverage of the Plantiff's vehicle.
- $100,000.00 settlement for a Plaintiff crossing the street on a bicycle who was struck by a motorist where she suffered a left acetabular labrum tera and other soft-tissue injuries. Liability was disputed and denied pre-suit and the Plaintiff's case was rejected by four other law firms before hiring Alexis and Sherwood Law Group.
- Rising Stars: 2022 - 2024