Nationally recognized and respected, Allan Ackerman practices almost exclusively in the area of criminal defense, both at the trial and appellate levels. As a trial lawyer, he has successfully defended some of the country’s most problematic cases, including major racketeering (RICO), drug, and white-collar prosecutions.
As an appellate advocate, he has successfully briefed and argued over 225 appeals including cases before the United States Supreme Court, the Illinois Supreme Court, and several federal and Illinois appellate courts. In addition, Mr. Ackerman's work has been the subject of study in law schools throughout the nation.
Examples of recent appeals and post conviction cases: U.S. v. Peugh, 675 F.3d 736 (7th Cir. 2012), reversed, Peugh v. U.S., 133 S.Ct. 2072 (Ex Post Facto means USSG Guidelines on offense date controlling); U.S. v. Hargrove, 579 F.3d 752 (7th Cir. 2009)(Hargrove v. U.S., 130 S.Ct. 3543 (GVR 2010 –vacating mail/wire fraud "honest services" convictions); U.S. v. Lee, 558 F.3d 638 (7th Cir. 2009) (reversing money laundering/ custodial sentence vacated, probation on remand); People v. Hernandez, 231 Ill.2d 134 (2008)(murder solicitation reversed based on attorney-conflict of interest – on post conviction); U.S. v. Weller, 17 CR 643 (acquitted of triple money laundering charges in prosecution involving insider stock trading); People v. Barker, App. No. 1-19-2588 (pending appeal challenging State Grand Jury proceedings under Illinois Due Process grounds where defendant charged/convicted of attempted "grooming" of a 15-year old girl); People v. Sopron, 96 CR 26471 (lengthy Cook County postconviction proceedings where defendant "framed" concerning his double murder life sentence, on 12/18/18, defendant's charges were dismissed and his record expunged); People v. Buschauer, (pending Cook County appeal App. No. 1-19-2472 challenging defendant's first degree murder conviction where police and prosecutors questioned defendant while intentionally deceiving him regarding a previously issued no bail/first degree murder arrest warrant concerning his wife's whirlpool drowning death 13-years earlier).
First Admitted: 1961, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60603-il-allan-ackerman-11198...
- TOP Attorneys in Illinois, Chicago Magazine, February 2022.
- Wright Jr. College, University of Chicago, John Marshall Law School
- To numerous to list
- Frequent assistance to federal and State inmates
- Over 270 appellate and lower court opinions since 1968.
- Recognized within top 5% of Illinois criminal lawyers since 2005., Illinois Leading Lawyers, Leading Lawyer Network
- Peer Review, Leading Lawyer Network, Top 5% of Illinois lawyers., Leading Criminal Defense Lawyers, Leading Lawyers Network
- Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as AV rated and certified as Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, 2001-2022. , https://www.lawyers.com/chicago/illinois/allan-a-ackerman-p-c-910094-f/
- Recognized for excellence in criminal appellate advocacy, Chicago Magazine-February, 2017-2022, Excellence in Appellate Law, Chicago Magazine
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Pattern Criminal Jury Instructions, 2004-2009.
- See summaries
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023