Andrew J. Thut
Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Chicago, IllinoisLevin & Perconti
Attorney Andrew J. Thut is a partner with Levin & Perconti law firm in Chicago, Illinois. Nationally recognized as among the top trial attorneys in the country, Mr. Thut devotes his practice solely to personal injury law, and he provides exceptional advocacy and support to individuals and families throughout Chicago and beyond who have suffered injuries or lost loved ones as a result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Over the course of his legal career spanning more than eight years, Mr. Thut has recovered millions of dollars in total compensation for those adversely affected by medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, motor vehicle accidents, unsafe property conditions, construction accidents, maritime accidents, and other preventable tragedies. From his efforts, he has secured numerous settlements and verdicts well in excess of a million dollars, and he has gained a reputation as a tireless advocate who always aggressively pursues the most favorable outcomes on behalf of his clients.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Thut has earned an Emerging Lawyer designation from Leading Lawyers, and the Law Bulletin Publishing Company named him to its list of 40 Attorneys Under 40 to watch in Illinois. He has also received consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers for the past several years, and he has received numerous testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
A 2008 graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign with a Bachelor of Arts in political science, Mr. Thut obtained his Juris Doctor from Loyola University School of Law in 2012. The Illinois State Bar Association admitted him to practice that same year, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Thut is a member of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association's Young Lawyer’s Division, the American Association for Justice, the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association. He has also published articles and conducted lectures and seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Medical Malpractice, Wrongful Death
- 60% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2012, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://www.levinperconti.com/andrew-j-thut.html
- Loyola University Chicago College of Law Alumni Mentoring Program
- Highsight/Insight Mentor Program, Tutor
- Deposition Strategies and Proving your Case with your Plaintiff, National Academy of Continuing Legal Education.
- Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Trial, Chicago Bar Association MCLE, 2018
- Lawyers in the Classroom, Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago, 2014 - 2015
- "Respecting religious freedom without sacrificing justice: The right to wear religious garb in court proceedings" Illinois State Bar Association Bench-Bar Newsletter Vol. 42, No. 2 (October 2011) pp. 9- 10
- "Illinois’ New Rule of Evidence" Illinois State Bar Association Civil Practice Newsletter Vol. 47 (March 2012)
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Young Lawyer’s Division, Member
- American Association of Justice, Member
- Illinois, 2012
- Northern District of Illinois, 2013
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., Political Science, 2008
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company's list of "40 Attorneys Under Forty to Watch" in Illinois for 2017, 2017
- Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers, 2017
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018
- $6.2 million verdict in a medical malpractice case brought under the Federal Tort Claims Act for a 61 year patient who suffered a stroke due to the improper placement of a central line catheter., 2021
- $2 million settlement on behalf of the estate of a patient who died as a result of a physician's failure to diagnose and treat an epigastric hernia, causing the patient to suffer from bowel ischemia. , 2022
- $6 million settlement on behalf of the estate of a patient who suffered from permanent paraplegia due to the delay in the diagnosis and treatment of a spinal epidural abscess. , 2022
- $1.4 million settlement on behalf of a woman who sustained a femur fracture, a tibia fracture and numerous knee injuries in an auto accident. A.J. was responsible for the depositions of Plaintiff’s expert economist and orthopaedic surgeon.
- $750,000.00 settlement for a nursing home resident who sustained a fall and hip fracture and died following a ten day hospitalization. This case settled on the eve of trial and A.J. played an integral pre-trial role by handling the depositions of Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s expert witnesses.
- $600,000.00 settlement for the family of a laborer who sustained a traumatic brain injury after he had slipped and fallen on an icy sidewalk at a worksite.
- $1 million settlement for a family of a nursing home resident who choked after he was provided breakfast in his and left unattended in a nursing home, 2018
- $810,000.00 settlement for a nursing home resident who sustained a fall and hip fracture. This case settled as pretrial preparations were underway and settled for the full amount of the defendant’s insurance policy.
- $700,000 settlement on behalf of a 52 year old nursing home resident with Huntington’s disease who had fallen and sustained a subdural bleed which required numerous surgeries.
- $2.7 million verdict to the estate of a man who died from complications related to a fall at a South Side nursing home., 2017
- $801,564.00 jury verdict on behalf of a family of a patient who died as a result of a physician, hospital and nursing home’s failures to diagnose a hip fracture and prevent the development of pressure ulcers. A.J. worked as a 2nd chair on this trial which was tried against three separate defendants. A.J. was responsible for arguing important motions in limine and conducting direct and cross examinations of numerous witnesses, including Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s expert witnesses.
- $750,000.00 settlement on behalf of a 35 year old woman who sustained a broken tibia in a construction accident.
- $700,000.00 nursing home fall settlement., 2017
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
Office location for Andrew J. Thut
325 North Lasalle Street
Chicago, IL 60654
- Super Lawyers: 2023 - 2024
- Rising Stars: 2018 - 2022