Benjamin M. Whipple
Top rated legislative & governmental affairs attorney in Chicago, IllinoisLaw Offices of Paul L. Williams & Associates
Mr. Whipple has over 15 years of experience practicing law, more than a decade of which are devoted to governmental affairs.
He has worked at law firms, as a federal law clerk for the then-Chief United States District Court Judge for the Southern District of Alabama, and in-house as a multi-state governmental affairs professional on behalf of a publicly-traded company with operations around the country. He has ample experience influencing and interpreting legislation, working with government officials, corporate team members, employees of competing businesses, and other outside counsel.
Mr. Whipple is serving a four-year term on the Board of Trustees of the National Association of State Lobbyists. He is also active with Illinois' Business and Industry Federation of Economic Concern and is a member of the State Government Affairs Council. Mr. Whipple completed SGAC's Professional Certificate Program, which is the only program designed specifically for state government affairs professionals.
Mr. Whipple earned his B.A. in philosophy from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. He then attended law school at the University of Notre Dame, where he graduated cum laude.
Practice areasLegislative & governmental affairs, General litigation, Administrative law
- 70% Legislative & governmental affairs
- 20% General litigation
- 10% Administrative law
First Admitted: 2004, Illinois
Professional Webpage: https://plwassociates.net
- Eagle Scout
- Law Clerk to Judge Callie V. S. Granade, United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, 2007-2009
- Rising Stars, 2011 – 2012, and 2017 – 2019
- Chapter on “Pretrial Motions in Federal Criminal Cases,” (with James Fieweger, Lisa Noller, Rebecca Hanson, Benno Weisberg and Katherine Markowski), Federal Criminal Practice, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2011.
- “Statutory Term, 'Due Proof of Loss', Defined by the Insurance Policy,” (with Daniel McMahon and Rebecca Rothmann), Life, Health and Disability News, Defense Research Institute, Life, Health and Disability Committee, Spring 2007.
- Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Michigan, 2001
- The Business & Industry Federation of Economic Concern ("BIFEC") BIFEC is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization composed of regional and statewide businesses, trade and professional associations, corporations or corporate departments interested in staying informed on Illinois business issues. BIFEC provides a forum for quality discussion on business issues and only meets when the General Assembly is in session in Springfield, Illinois. BIFEC does not advocate any specific positions or policy. https://www.bifecil.com/, 2018
- State Government Affairs Council ("SGAC") Mr. Whipple participates actively in the SGAC, which is the premier national association for multi-state government affairs professionals. Its mission is to advance and support the state government affairs profession by fostering community among peers and elected officials, building knowledge, and promoting diverse perspectives in a nonpartisan environment. https://www.sgac.org/, 2016
- The National Association of State Lobbyists ("NASL") We are the Illinois members and I am on the Board of Trustees of NASL. NASL is an invitation-only network of top government affairs professionals, with a single member in every state. NASL membership is offered to lobbyists based on their experience and proven success. We promote integrity, ethics, and strategic judgment in our profession. https://www.statelobbyists.org/, 2015
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Inn of Court
Office location for Benjamin M. Whipple
9009 South Western Avenue
Chicago, IL 60643
Phone: (616) 460-1392
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2012, 2017 - 2019